Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 01:04 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 Water proofing - false advertising

I specifically purchased an 18-135 lens to complete my WR kit with my K-5 and have been enjoying the shots I have been getting with this combo.

Yesterday however I believe the seals failed when I was shooting a sporting event at my grand daughters swim meet.

I wanted to get a shot of her touching the wall of the pool but when I stuck my camera in to get the shot the camera only took 3 frames of the normal burst and then stopped.
Upon trying to review the shots the camera would not power up.

I noticed some water drops under the top LCD which doesnt seem normal since the camera is water proof.
When I took out the battery a little bit of water drained out of the bottom.

Does anyone else have similar experience? I can't get the camera to power on any more.

I will send the camera in for repair and plan to sell it when it comes back as I believe Pentax advertising about WR is false.
My warranty is up first of April, glad I tried it in the pool before the warranty expired.

04-01-2013, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
READ THE INSTRUCTION BOOK or simply "Google" the term WR!!

WR literally mean Weather RESISTANCE; and **NOT** weather PROOF. If you would have wanted a water proof camera then they do sell a few point and shoots that are water proof to a degree, or one can purchase most any SLR and then spend a few more thousand to get a **PROPER** water PROOF housing for it.

It is not false advertising, but lack of the owner in BOTH doing research on it and also complete failure to read the instruction book.

Sure send it for repair, as the repair BILL for both the camera and the lens will be more than one actually paid for the camera. It is not a warranty item.
04-01-2013, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
Did you have the sliding plastic cover in place in the flash hot shoe? It's required and easily forgotten.
bb2
04-01-2013, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I specifically purchased an 18-135 lens to complete my WR kit with my K-5 and have been enjoying the shots I have been getting with this combo.

Yesterday however I believe the seals failed when I was shooting a sporting event at my grand daughters swim meet.

I wanted to get a shot of her touching the wall of the pool but when I stuck my camera in to get the shot the camera only took 3 frames of the normal burst and then stopped.
Upon trying to review the shots the camera would not power up.

I noticed some water drops under the top LCD which doesnt seem normal since the camera is water proof.
When I took out the battery a little bit of water drained out of the bottom.

Does anyone else have similar experience? I can't get the camera to power on any more.

I will send the camera in for repair and plan to sell it when it comes back as I believe Pentax advertising about WR is false.
My warranty is up first of April, glad I tried it in the pool before the warranty expired.
I guess it's april fools joke :-)

04-01-2013, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
READ THE INSTRUCTION BOOK or simply "Google" the term WR!!

WR literally mean Weather RESISTANCE; and **NOT** weather PROOF. If you would have wanted a water proof camera then they do sell a few point and shoots that are water proof to a degree, or one can purchase most any SLR and then spend a few more thousand to get a **PROPER** water PROOF housing for it.

It is not false advertising, but lack of the owner in BOTH doing research on it and also complete failure to read the instruction book.

Sure send it for repair, as the repair BILL for both the camera and the lens will be more than one actually paid for the camera. It is not a warranty item.
04-01-2013, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

You stuck your gear under water?!? If this is not an April fools joke, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by Clavius; 04-01-2013 at 01:55 AM.
04-01-2013, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

delicious: crewl1 and Medium FormatPro, you are both such PF veterans!! Well done (both), for the set up and the fall.

04-01-2013, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is that the sealing on the 18-135 isn't as good as the sealing on the DA * lenses. Definitely for underwater work, you should use one of those lenses.
04-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It probably would have lasted longer with a DA* lens on it.
I mean Pentax own people actually put the K5 under water up to the lens mount to demonstrate the sealing.

04-01-2013, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem is that the sealing on the 18-135 isn't as good as the sealing on the DA * lenses. Definitely for underwater work, you should use one of those lenses.
Or rather you should use a 645D ^^
04-01-2013, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe you should put it in the microwave to dry it out?
04-01-2013, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

The problem here was not the water, but the chlorine (and probably urine; the Olympic champions admit that they pee in the pool) in the water. Pentax advertises resistance only to water, not to a chlorine/urine cocktail, and these chemical deposits have damaged the camera. To remove them, you need to thoroughly clean the camera with regular water. Take the lens off and run all parts of the lens under the tap (make sure to zoom and focus the lens aggressively whilst under the tap to break up any deposits!); then do the same for the camera (make sure you the mirror box is washed out well too, as deposits could be lurking there!). If the camera still doesn't work, the deposits have obviously adhered beyond the point of solubility, and you will have to shift them. To do this, use a hammer to strike all portions of the camera and lens. If somehow this fails, then you will have to buy a new hammer.

Last edited by macTak; 04-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.
04-01-2013, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Well your seals failed because you didn't warm them up first - you need to use a torch so you can expand the seals - this way any small imperfections are filled by the expanding rubber.

For BEST results however, you need to use a condom - great sealer!!!

04-01-2013, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I thought the same thing ...
04-01-2013, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I bet it tastes like chicken after that.