Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Forum Member
drpower's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Help... K5IIs and 18-135 purchase

I can get a K5IIs and 18-135WR for C$1500 + tax from Prodigital2000. I also found a used one with 5 months of warranty left and 460 shutter count with same lens C$1500. Pay the tax and get new, or save a bit of cash and get used? I'm kind of leaning towards new but I'll pay $180 in tax on top

04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
QuoteOriginally posted by drpower Quote
I can get a K5IIs and 18-135WR for C$1500 + tax from Prodigital2000. I also found a used one with 5 months of warranty left and 460 shutter count with same lens C$1500. Pay the tax and get new, or save a bit of cash and get used? I'm kind of leaning towards new but I'll pay $180 in tax on top
Are you planning on getting other lenses, or do you already own other lenses (i.e. primes?). If not, then you could save even more by just getting the K-5 or K-5 II with the 18-135mm. You can probably also find the K-5 IIs bundle second-hand on the forum marketplace for even less on the forum ($1300 or $1400 would be very reasonable).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2013, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,382
Buy new and get an extended warranty, too ... IMHO, this is a better solution in long run ... I shy away from used bodies after one bad experience with a K-7 ... J
04-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Forum Member
drpower's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you planning on getting other lenses, or do you already own other lenses (i.e. primes?). If not, then you could save even more by just getting the K-5 or K-5 II with the 18-135mm. You can probably also find the K-5 IIs bundle second-hand on the forum marketplace for even less on the forum ($1300 or $1400 would be very reasonable).
I have no lenses, I do plan on buying quality glass later on. I am leaning towards new and getting the extended warranty, I'm not rich but I work enough that dropping an extra $200 makes sense to have piece of mind. I offered $1200 on the used set which I would go for but $1500 is more than what you quoted for used, and I agree. I have read enough to know that I am not going to buy a K30 even though it would be more than capable of suiting my skill level and needs, the K5II would again, be awesome but I am always wanting to go outside of the norm and go with the extreme. This will be C$1700 to my door, am I on the right track doing this? My work is on the ocean, fishing guide in Haida Gwaii, and Canada Coast Guard Rescue Specialist. The shots I wasted on a Lumix TS2 point and shoot are embarrassing, so I need a real camera now.

04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
QuoteOriginally posted by drpower Quote
I have no lenses, I do plan on buying quality glass later on. I am leaning towards new and getting the extended warranty, I'm not rich but I work enough that dropping an extra $200 makes sense to have piece of mind. I offered $1200 on the used set which I would go for but $1500 is more than what you quoted for used, and I agree. I have read enough to know that I am not going to buy a K30 even though it would be more than capable of suiting my skill level and needs, the K5II would again, be awesome but I am always wanting to go outside of the norm and go with the extreme. This will be C$1700 to my door, am I on the right track doing this? My work is on the ocean, fishing guide in Haida Gwaii, and Canada Coast Guard Rescue Specialist. The shots I wasted on a Lumix TS2 point and shoot are embarrassing, so I need a real camera now.
If you're on a tight budget, perhaps a new K-30 would be a better choice?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Junior Member
wolfdog's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 26
Is there something about the K30 that you don't like?Just curious.
04-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Forum Member
drpower's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Original Poster
I have to admit there is nothing about the K30 I don't like. The difference here is just over $500 for the K5IIs. I guess I should just pull the trigger on a new one, shut up, and get on with it lol! When it comes to good, better, best... I will eventually convince myself to buy the best, everytime.
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Forum Member
drpower's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Original Poster
In my obsession to buy a quality camera, I am considering the K5IIs & smc DA 70mm F2.4 LIMITED. From several accounts this is quite the combo. Opt for a general purpose lens down the road instead.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k5iis, pentax help, photography, tax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc DA 18-135 at 18 and 135 loco Post Your Photos! 17 01-18-2013 04:44 PM
K5IIs+50-135 Test Shots Handheld HongdaZhou Pentax K-5 3 11-03-2012 11:09 AM
Help! AF problems with my new 18-135 Armanius Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 02-29-2012 01:42 PM
K5 + 18-135 and Retrospective 5? Traveller888 Pentax K-5 3 11-14-2011 01:12 PM
Should I purchase used 50-135 ? dr_romix Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 10-14-2011 01:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top