Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
One of my major concerns with online backup sites is the Intellectual Property and confidentiality of the data. These sites can change their user agreement so quickly and secretly that sooner or later it's sort of bait and switch thing. Look at how quickly Instagram and Facebook update their user agreements. Look at how often the FEDS request online storage sites to access your online storage for whatever reasons...Granted the FEDS can also come and knock on my door with a warrant but at least I will be warned at that time.

Call me paranoid but I only trust my external HDD for backup solution.
ducdao - Your concern are genuine and I completely agree. That is one of the main reasons I have deleted my pictures form Google+/Picasa web and bought entry level subscription on smugmug.com where I can backup my pictures and share only those galleries/albums that I wanted to. As it is a paid subscription as a user I control the rights on my pictures. Smugmug comes with iPad app and integration with several other desktop photo applications. Of course, it offers REST/JSON API if you like to spin your own tool.

04-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
ducdao - Your concern are genuine and I completely agree. That is one of the main reasons I have deleted my pictures form Google+/Picasa web and bought entry level subscription on smugmug.com where I can backup my pictures and share only those galleries/albums that I wanted to. As it is a paid subscription as a user I control the rights on my pictures. Smugmug comes with iPad app and integration with several other desktop photo applications. Of course, it offers REST/JSON API if you like to spin your own tool.
I've heard of Smugmug but never really used it. Just make sure you read the fine prints and understand what you are bond to - which is often not very obvious. Also, the fine prints can get updated pretty quickly too.
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

There's problems with everything.. if you are paranoid your approach should be mixed

So you backup to one external drive - what if it dies? Oh why not use a RAID mirror (two disks - one replicates the other). Ah but what if the power goes done and the RAID mirror gets corrupted - you need a UPS (uninterruptable power supply ) to stop that. Thats just the start.

Also consider the importance of off [physical] site backup.

Hard disks die eventually and optical media also degrades over time.

A combination of external hard drive and cloud storage also should be fine though..
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
if you are paranoid your approach should be mixed
I couldn't agree with you more, it all really depends on the value you apportion to your images, as to how much your going to spend trying to preserve them.

So says the man here. who does run a UPS on his critical kit.

04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I couldn't agree with you more, it all really depends on the value you apportion to your images, as to how much your going to spend trying to preserve them.

So says the man here. who does run a UPS on his critical kit.
Gotta have a UPS! They aren't expensive and the better ones will do an orderly shutdown of your 'puter if you're not at hand. If the power fails to a hard drive it can corrupt the data, perhaps beyond retrieval. I know from bitter experience....
04-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a compromise between cloud and local external drive. I use Pogoplug. Connect it to a router, a drive of your choice to it and you can access your files from that drive anywhere. I do all of my work at may shop, so the Pogoplug drive is at home. Everything I have exists on at least 3 physical drives. Internal, an external connected to the computer, and a drive at home connected to the Pogoplug. You can also buy external drives that have the network capability built in.
04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

data on cloud + data on external drive is probably the best setup you are going to for the least £££/$$$

hard drive fails you go to cloud
cloud fails you go to hard drive

cloud gives you the offsite

if both fail at same time... well thats bad luck

ADrive | Online Storage, Online Backup, Cloud Storage will give you 50GB for free IIRC - I've not used it yet

the data is not guaranteed on the free version though I think... but.. it would be bad luck for your hard drive to die and Adrive to have lost your data at the same time
04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

and perhaps anything super important burn to DVDs or Blu Ray or put on USB stick in addition to your HD + cloud

04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Pogoplug. It's an offline/cloud system. You can just use their unlimited cloud storage for $5/month, but I bought one of their backup and sharing devices (less than $40) to which you add an SD card, external hard drive, flash drive or e-sata drive. (I had an 250Gb drive from an old laptop.) It's pretty easy to set up, and I can access my Pogoplug harddrive from anywhere, so I always have access to my pics. So, I have originals on my computer and backups in the cloud and on the Pogoplug device and burned to CDs stored in another location.
04-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
One of my major concerns with online backup sites is the Intellectual Property and confidentiality of the data. These sites can change their user agreement so quickly and secretly that sooner or later it's sort of bait and switch thing. Look at how quickly Instagram and Facebook update their user agreements. Look at how often the FEDS request online storage sites to access your online storage for whatever reasons...Granted the FEDS can also come and knock on my door with a warrant but at least I will be warned at that time.

Call me paranoid but I only trust my external HDD for backup solution.
I doubt for a site like Smugmug, which makes money with photographers hosting their business there, it would make sense to antagonize their clients. On the contrary, they have all advantages to take care of their clients, since what they are selling is not storage but a website, a totally different thing.
04-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
thanks for all the help. i was looking for a place to back up my pictures for an extra back up . i have a back up for my computer but want a second back up of my pictures to also be able to share. thanks again
So you have two distinct requirements here:
1. Online secondary backup to your existing stash;
2. Sharing capability. But you have to decide how "open" you want to have your online images and what powers visitors may have.
Since you haven't detailed how large storage capacity you will need, any recommendations for number 1 may be highly budget dependent.
For number 2 the options entail either a very basic interface that may not allow you to organize your images by anything other than date taken, or a highly function web interface with lots of design and presentation capabilities.

Two recommendations:

1. Dropbox is easy to use from computers and mobile devices and relatively cheap. You can store anything, but photos can be viewed in a very basic screen interface.
2. Smugmug or Zenfolio or the like. Unlimited storage of jpegs with Smugmug (I'm not a Zemfolio user, so I'm clueless about details) and really nice galleries you can tailor. Easy uploading. I think it is a good value. Requires some attention to be paid to set things up. Dropbox doesn't by default, unless it is important to you.

M
04-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I doubt for a site like Smugmug, which makes money with photographers hosting their business there, it would make sense to antagonize their clients. On the contrary, they have all advantages to take care of their clients, since what they are selling is not storage but a website, a totally different thing.
I agree with you here--Smugmug has a lot to lose by messing with customer agreements. As an addendum, Smugmug actually is marketing storage and backup as well through their Vault service. Also, they have always marketed their unlimited image hosting capabilities during my ten years as a customer.

Re: government access to data--perhaps I'm cynical, but I believe that the powers that be can get into anything if necessary. The question is: what's necessary? I don't think anything on my website falls into that category.

M
04-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #28
NKK
Veteran Member

I'm doing local backup to NAS, that i can reach from anywhere - and also have an online backup through Crashplan (unlimited storage), that can also be accessed from both mobile phone (app) and the internet if i need a document or something. Works fine and i have done restore a couple of times with no problems
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Crashplan looks pretty good. I like the idea of you being able to backup to someone else's computer for free and their online plans seem pretty good value compared to others. If Microsoft's Azure solution ends up being too expensive I might go for crashplan.