Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

on line back up

hope this is the right forum to put this in . i was looking foe advise for a on line back up for my pictures. can anyone recommend one ? thanks

04-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite a number of different services. We use ibackup.com for the business and it has been just fine if perhaps a little expensive. But we need it to back up network machines which many of the cheaper services will not do.

If you have only a single PC take a look at Carbonite, last time I checked they were reasonably priced and highly recommended.

If all you want is cloud storage rather than a true backup solution though, you can look into dropbox, Google cloud storage, Amazon Cloud Drive or Microsoft Skydrive. These all offer a few Gigabytes of storage and if your needs are not large they might work.
04-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Do NOT rely on online back-up only. As every single online back-up company has had serious issues where they have lost the entire content of their customers data. Better to least one hard drive; or a mirrored one
04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Backblaze as my online backup provider. Online Backup & Data Backup Software | Backblaze I have had to use them once to recover lost data and was very pleased with them.

In addition, I back up all my files to an attached external drive.

04-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

I use smugmug.com to backup and share my pictures. I also, keep copies in an external drive and on a local server.
04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
hope this is the right forum to put this in . i was looking foe advise for a on line back up for my pictures. can anyone recommend one ? thanks
Perhaps you can articulate your needs a little bit more. These days online backup can mean a lot of things. How many files? What is the total size in GB or TB? What file format? Do you want to have an album viewing capability that friends and family could tap into? Do you need to integrate with a mobile device or iPad? You know, stuff like that.

M
04-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I use Backblaze as my online backup provider. Online Backup & Data Backup Software | Backblaze I have had to use them once to recover lost data and was very pleased with them.

In addition, I back up all my files to an attached external drive.
I also use Backblaze and also had to recover lost data. Worked fine. I have two removeable 2T hard drives for on-site backup.

04-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #8

Also, if you are more technically minded and happy to run a server then take a look at Windows Server 2012 Essentials. This allows you to integrate Azure online backup so you can have local backup on the server (with mirrored disks etc), backup to local USB and backup of selected data to cloud. However, the cloud backup part is still a preview. Whilst it works great and is currently free it will not stay that way, and they haven't announced pricing yet...
04-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Usually on line back up can work out expensive and can be quite slow depending on your connection speeds.

Have you considered a couple of external drives, usually faster, can be cheaper in the longer run, depending on the amount of data you have and can still be stored off site.
04-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've used Carbonite for a couple of years now, and it saved me when several of my WD hard drives crashed (including the external one I used for backup) taking my data with them. It runs continuously in the background, and at $50 a year, when signing up for 3 years, it is cost effective IMHO.
04-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Usually on line back up can work out expensive and can be quite slow depending on your connection speeds.

Have you considered a couple of external drives, usually faster, can be cheaper in the longer run, depending on the amount of data you have and can still be stored off site.
I would completely agree. You pay a fixed monthly fee, that within a few monts generally exceeds the cost of a USB connected 1TB drive.

I use external back up drives, with one locked in a secure off site location, a second locked up at home. I have never had to use this yet for photos, but I use the same strategy with my work computer, and it has saved my &$$ several times when computers get dropped or fail (if you travel every 1-2 weeks it is inevitable ). Life expectancy of my work PC is about 3 years
04-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for all the help. i was looking for a place to back up my pictures for an extra back up . i have a back up for my computer but want a second back up of my pictures to also be able to share. thanks again
04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
thanks for all the help. i was looking for a place to back up my pictures for an extra back up . i have a back up for my computer but want a second back up of my pictures to also be able to share. thanks again
Ok, now that we have this established, the are a couple of things to consider. Shared sites are not, by nature, secure back up sites. Generally all those with access have the ability to delete files. You may also not be willing to share the same photos with everyone. As a result, you may wish to separate the two things

As I said, I consider that backups should be off line, one in. Your house, one not. It is relatively simple swap disks and keep back ups current.

As for on line backup, one thing to consider is using the "cloud" as it is often referred to, these days for temporary storage, such as when travelling, you can upload your shots daily just in case....., although that would require Internet access (not guaranteed) and possibly also taking your computer with you(not always desireable)

Some of the portable drives with card readers built in and also battery packs built in can be a great advantage in this area and you should consider them for travel if you don't want to pack a computer, but for home use, i think multiple portable hard disks are the best
04-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I use smugmug.com to backup and share my pictures. I also, keep copies in an external drive and on a local server.
+1 for smugmug. 30$ the first year if you register via their Android app, 60$ after that, unlimited storage plus you get an actual website and gallery.
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

One of my major concerns with online backup sites is the Intellectual Property and confidentiality of the data. These sites can change their user agreement so quickly and secretly that sooner or later it's sort of bait and switch thing. Look at how quickly Instagram and Facebook update their user agreements. Look at how often the FEDS request online storage sites to access your online storage for whatever reasons...Granted the FEDS can also come and knock on my door with a warrant but at least I will be warned at that time.

Call me paranoid but I only trust my external HDD for backup solution.