Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
For my step up into DSLR's I chose the K-30 which seemed to have the latest technology even if it didn't include 14-bit and a few others things. I don't doubt that the K5-ii or iis is better in several significant ways, but for the price difference I couldn't justify them. If you're mostly planning to use manual focus then the K5's better AF in low light won't matter that much either. I started with the 18-135mm WR lens and then picked up a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 which has been great. I'm thinking of getting a 28mm or 35mm sometime in the near future.

04-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank all of you guys for your suggestions...

.. But the situation got complicated as it seems I found a way to get a new K5

Then you just made situation a lo easier. No matter what camera, you will be impressed, so savings on the k5 will give better options for lenses
For references, you might wanna check pentaxphotogallery.com. photos can be viewed per lens...
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every suggestion here is worthwhile. One thing to consider for landscapes is focus peaking on the K-30, it is amazing and aids in accurate focusing with manual lenses. There are some great old manual primes that are inexpensive compared to auto focus lenses. If you do start with a kit lens like the 18-55, use it a while and see what lengths you really use before outlaying a lot of money on primes. You can do this with free software like Exposure Plot. But that's a pretty small range, I've taken landscapes from 10-300mm, different length for different looks and subjects (read this article). Somebody also mentioned the DA18-135, it's quite a bit higher priced but worth it, and there are some deals when packaged with the K-30.

Definitely get a sturdy tripod and head. And I would recommend a wireless remote. You can get the third party ones very cheap and they work well. I have a Jue Ying remote that is available for $2 on ebay. It works better than my higher priced Pentax remote.
04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Every suggestion here is worthwhile. One thing to consider for landscapes is focus peaking on the K-30, it is amazing and aids in accurate focusing with manual lenses. There are some great old manual primes that are inexpensive compared to auto focus lenses. If you do start with a kit lens like the 18-55, use it a while and see what lengths you really use before outlaying a lot of money on primes. You can do this with free software like Exposure Plot. But that's a pretty small range, I've taken landscapes from 10-300mm, different length for different looks and subjects (read this article). Somebody also mentioned the DA18-135, it's quite a bit higher priced but worth it, and there are some deals when packaged with the K-30.

Definitely get a sturdy tripod and head. And I would recommend a wireless remote. You can get the third party ones very cheap and they work well. I have a Jue Ying remote that is available for $2 on ebay. It works better than my higher priced Pentax remote.
Thank you for your suggestions... so far I'm leaning towards getting the K5 with 18-55WR, and add a 16-45 almost immediately.

04-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thank you for your suggestions... so far I'm leaning towards getting the K5 with 18-55WR, and add a 16-45 almost immediately.
hold on:
i myself advised on the da 16-45, however, i'd have a hard time choosing now between the WR 18-55 and the 16-45 because the latter is not WR. a bit of a pity with a WR camera....

take it from me: you can pull a lot from the 18-55! just look at the pentaxphotogallery. the 16-45 is 2mm wider (which does make a difference) and a tad sharper overall. I'd say, go with the 18-55 WR and postpone the 16-45 for a while...

They overlap too much at this point in time. also bear in mind a polariser for the 52mm thread of the 18-55 is cheaper than for the 16-45...

focus on photography first. raw conversion, choosing your frame... well, maybe you already know, but i believe this is your first dslr.
04-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
hold on:
i myself advised on the da 16-45, however, i'd have a hard time choosing now between the WR 18-55 and the 16-45 because the latter is not WR. a bit of a pity with a WR camera....

take it from me: you can pull a lot from the 18-55! just look at the pentaxphotogallery. the 16-45 is 2mm wider (which does make a difference) and a tad sharper overall. I'd say, go with the 18-55 WR and postpone the 16-45 for a while...

They overlap too much at this point in time. also bear in mind a polariser for the 52mm thread of the 18-55 is cheaper than for the 16-45...

focus on photography first. raw conversion, choosing your frame... well, maybe you already know, but i believe this is your first dslr.
Yeah, this sounds like a good advice. I was considering to jump on 16-45 because I found what I think to be a good price, 379 euro (486$). But then if I think about it, maybe it's better to delay it a little bit, since I'm planning to get a more expensive lens for the wide end anyway in the future (like a a 12-24 or 15 prime or sigma 8-16) so at some point maybe I wont be needing the 16-45 at all.
04-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yeah, this sounds like a good advice. I was considering to jump on 16-45 because I found what I think to be a good price, 379 euro (486$). But then if I think about it, maybe it's better to delay it a little bit, since I'm planning to get a more expensive lens for the wide end anyway in the future (like a a 12-24 or 15 prime or sigma 8-16) so at some point maybe I wont be needing the 16-45 at all.
379euro is not a good price. I bought mine at 248euro fresh from store. the lens is a bit outdated since the 17-70 came out...

you are right: you might end up not needing it...
the thing with the 18-55 you need to remember is that you need to stay a bit closer to the sweet spot of F6.7

04-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the K-30 as my first step into the DSLR world, and haven't regretted it a bit since. I could also just not justify the K5 / K5ii / K5iis atm, but am considering upgrading to a another body at a later stage. I have pushed it to 3200 with minimal noise.

Currently am really only limited by some of my lenses (reach and IQ), but am impressed by the 18-135 so far.

B
04-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I will go for a Pentax (despite all my friends yelling to go for Nikon)
Nikon is fine but there are many compelling reasons to go with Pentax, in my opinion (and most people here will of course agree )

I will have the warranty in another country, is that correct?
Usually Pentax honours an international warranty of one year.

I specifically plan NOT to use auto and shoot a lot in low light. Mostly landscapes. Would this justify picking the K5II over K30?
If you plan on shooting at high ISO values, then yes, otherwise not so much.

I decided to start with the kit lens (18-55 WR) for a while and experiment with it
That's sensible, it's inexpensive, reliable and will let you discover which focal lengths you enjoy using.

I have come up with the idea to add a filter kit (UV, ND and circular polarizer) and a cheap tripod. Is this a sensible plan?
I never use a UV filter on my lenses except on my 50 since it came equipped with it. I got one with my 60-250 and never used it, I fear it will degrade the IQ. A polarizer on the other hand is quite useful and I use the few I own quite often. A ND filter is a specialized item, useful for longer exposures (I use mine for flowing water effects). You could also use two polarizers (the first being linear) to get a fully adjustable ND filter, going from 1 stop to completely black.

I'm not sure whether or not do I need to add a trigger, or I can just use the camera's timer
A wireless remote is useful in some circumstances, you can get one for 2$ on eBay. A wired trigger is less useful with modern cameras where the bulb mode keeps the shutter open until you press back again, but you do risk moving the camera slightly for long exposures. Again 2$ will get you one.

I'm also considering getting the cheap DA-L-35mm-F2.4-AL pretty fast after the kit lens. Would that be sensible? as I said, I'll be doing landscapes and architecture mostly, I don't pretty much care about portraits and range.
It's a very good lens by all accounts. You might want to wait just a bit until you decide which focal length you enjoy as I said, and maybe you will want to spend money on a higher-quality lens, like the 35 macro limited or the 21 limited (a wonderful lens for landscapes).

maybe I need a fast card, considering that Im planning to shoot RAW only and do the processing? or is it the case that any card will do?
Yes, get a fast reliable card (or two) you will not regret it. It's better to buy two lower-capacity cards than one large capacity card.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax!
04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Nikon is fine but there are many compelling reasons to go with Pentax, in my opinion (and most people here will of course agree )

Usually Pentax honours an international warranty of one year.

If you plan on shooting at high ISO values, then yes, otherwise not so much.

That's sensible, it's inexpensive, reliable and will let you discover which focal lengths you enjoy using.

I never use a UV filter on my lenses except on my 50 since it came equipped with it. I got one with my 60-250 and never used it, I fear it will degrade the IQ. A polarizer on the other hand is quite useful and I use the few I own quite often. A ND filter is a specialized item, useful for longer exposures (I use mine for flowing water effects). You could also use two polarizers (the first being linear) to get a fully adjustable ND filter, going from 1 stop to completely black.

A wireless remote is useful in some circumstances, you can get one for 2$ on eBay. A wired trigger is less useful with modern cameras where the bulb mode keeps the shutter open until you press back again, but you do risk moving the camera slightly for long exposures. Again 2$ will get you one.

It's a very good lens by all accounts. You might want to wait just a bit until you decide which focal length you enjoy as I said, and maybe you will want to spend money on a higher-quality lens, like the 35 macro limited or the 21 limited (a wonderful lens for landscapes).

Yes, get a fast reliable card (or two) you will not regret it. It's better to buy two lower-capacity cards than one large capacity card.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax!
Right now Adorama has a very sweet deal for K5+18-55+50-200. Can I just take this and then sell the 50-200 ?
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Yos
Veteran Member

I don't see a reason why not.
And you never know, you might end up keeping the 50-200mm
04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right now Adorama has a very sweet deal for K5+18-55+50-200. Can I just take this and then sell the 50-200 ?
I would make sure they are both WR versions. If you decide to sell, the DA 50-200 WR is easier to sell at a good price, around $150 used in the US. The L version is harder to sell at a reasonable price.

I just bought a used DA 50-200mm WR and I think it's a pretty good lens. The DA 55-300 is much more popular but about twice the price. For my use, I didn't think the extra 100mm was worth it.
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would make sure they are both WR versions. If you decide to sell, the DA 50-200 WR is easier to sell at a good price, around $150 used in the US. The L version is harder to sell at a reasonable price.

I just bought a used DA 50-200mm WR and I think it's a pretty good lens. The DA 55-300 is much more popular but about twice the price. For my use, I didn't think the extra 100mm was worth it.
I've just bought the K5 kit from adorama, body + 18-55 WR + 50-200 WR at 999$. Good price I guess ? I can hardly wait for it to arrive Thanks for all the suggestions!
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Yos
Veteran Member

Congratulation! Let us know what you think about you new K5 and post some pictures once u had it for a while
04-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're going to love it!