Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Senior Member
dboeren's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 148
For my step up into DSLR's I chose the K-30 which seemed to have the latest technology even if it didn't include 14-bit and a few others things. I don't doubt that the K5-ii or iis is better in several significant ways, but for the price difference I couldn't justify them. If you're mostly planning to use manual focus then the K5's better AF in low light won't matter that much either. I started with the 18-135mm WR lens and then picked up a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 which has been great. I'm thinking of getting a 28mm or 35mm sometime in the near future.

04-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 993
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank all of you guys for your suggestions...

.. But the situation got complicated as it seems I found a way to get a new K5

Then you just made situation a lo easier. No matter what camera, you will be impressed, so savings on the k5 will give better options for lenses
For references, you might wanna check pentaxphotogallery.com. photos can be viewed per lens...
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,622
Every suggestion here is worthwhile. One thing to consider for landscapes is focus peaking on the K-30, it is amazing and aids in accurate focusing with manual lenses. There are some great old manual primes that are inexpensive compared to auto focus lenses. If you do start with a kit lens like the 18-55, use it a while and see what lengths you really use before outlaying a lot of money on primes. You can do this with free software like Exposure Plot. But that's a pretty small range, I've taken landscapes from 10-300mm, different length for different looks and subjects (read this article). Somebody also mentioned the DA18-135, it's quite a bit higher priced but worth it, and there are some deals when packaged with the K-30.

Definitely get a sturdy tripod and head. And I would recommend a wireless remote. You can get the third party ones very cheap and they work well. I have a Jue Ying remote that is available for $2 on ebay. It works better than my higher priced Pentax remote.
04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,328
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Every suggestion here is worthwhile. One thing to consider for landscapes is focus peaking on the K-30, it is amazing and aids in accurate focusing with manual lenses. There are some great old manual primes that are inexpensive compared to auto focus lenses. If you do start with a kit lens like the 18-55, use it a while and see what lengths you really use before outlaying a lot of money on primes. You can do this with free software like Exposure Plot. But that's a pretty small range, I've taken landscapes from 10-300mm, different length for different looks and subjects (read this article). Somebody also mentioned the DA18-135, it's quite a bit higher priced but worth it, and there are some deals when packaged with the K-30.

Definitely get a sturdy tripod and head. And I would recommend a wireless remote. You can get the third party ones very cheap and they work well. I have a Jue Ying remote that is available for $2 on ebay. It works better than my higher priced Pentax remote.
Thank you for your suggestions... so far I'm leaning towards getting the K5 with 18-55WR, and add a 16-45 almost immediately.

04-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 993
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you for your suggestions... so far I'm leaning towards getting the K5 with 18-55WR, and add a 16-45 almost immediately.
hold on:
i myself advised on the da 16-45, however, i'd have a hard time choosing now between the WR 18-55 and the 16-45 because the latter is not WR. a bit of a pity with a WR camera....

take it from me: you can pull a lot from the 18-55! just look at the pentaxphotogallery. the 16-45 is 2mm wider (which does make a difference) and a tad sharper overall. I'd say, go with the 18-55 WR and postpone the 16-45 for a while...

They overlap too much at this point in time. also bear in mind a polariser for the 52mm thread of the 18-55 is cheaper than for the 16-45...

focus on photography first. raw conversion, choosing your frame... well, maybe you already know, but i believe this is your first dslr.
04-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,328
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
hold on:
i myself advised on the da 16-45, however, i'd have a hard time choosing now between the WR 18-55 and the 16-45 because the latter is not WR. a bit of a pity with a WR camera....

take it from me: you can pull a lot from the 18-55! just look at the pentaxphotogallery. the 16-45 is 2mm wider (which does make a difference) and a tad sharper overall. I'd say, go with the 18-55 WR and postpone the 16-45 for a while...

They overlap too much at this point in time. also bear in mind a polariser for the 52mm thread of the 18-55 is cheaper than for the 16-45...

focus on photography first. raw conversion, choosing your frame... well, maybe you already know, but i believe this is your first dslr.
Yeah, this sounds like a good advice. I was considering to jump on 16-45 because I found what I think to be a good price, 379 euro (486$). But then if I think about it, maybe it's better to delay it a little bit, since I'm planning to get a more expensive lens for the wide end anyway in the future (like a a 12-24 or 15 prime or sigma 8-16) so at some point maybe I wont be needing the 16-45 at all.
04-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 993
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Yeah, this sounds like a good advice. I was considering to jump on 16-45 because I found what I think to be a good price, 379 euro (486$). But then if I think about it, maybe it's better to delay it a little bit, since I'm planning to get a more expensive lens for the wide end anyway in the future (like a a 12-24 or 15 prime or sigma 8-16) so at some point maybe I wont be needing the 16-45 at all.
379euro is not a good price. I bought mine at 248euro fresh from store. the lens is a bit outdated since the 17-70 came out...

you are right: you might end up not needing it...
the thing with the 18-55 you need to remember is that you need to stay a bit closer to the sweet spot of F6.7
04-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #23
Senior Member
SirBismuth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 126
I got the K-30 as my first step into the DSLR world, and haven't regretted it a bit since. I could also just not justify the K5 / K5ii / K5iis atm, but am considering upgrading to a another body at a later stage. I have pushed it to 3200 with minimal noise.

Currently am really only limited by some of my lenses (reach and IQ), but am impressed by the 18-135 so far.

B

04-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,831
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I will go for a Pentax (despite all my friends yelling to go for Nikon)
Nikon is fine but there are many compelling reasons to go with Pentax, in my opinion (and most people here will of course agree )

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I will have the warranty in another country, is that correct?
Usually Pentax honours an international warranty of one year.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I specifically plan NOT to use auto and shoot a lot in low light. Mostly landscapes. Would this justify picking the K5II over K30?
If you plan on shooting at high ISO values, then yes, otherwise not so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I decided to start with the kit lens (18-55 WR) for a while and experiment with it
That's sensible, it's inexpensive, reliable and will let you discover which focal lengths you enjoy using.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I have come up with the idea to add a filter kit (UV, ND and circular polarizer) and a cheap tripod. Is this a sensible plan?
I never use a UV filter on my lenses except on my 50 since it came equipped with it. I got one with my 60-250 and never used it, I fear it will degrade the IQ. A polarizer on the other hand is quite useful and I use the few I own quite often. A ND filter is a specialized item, useful for longer exposures (I use mine for flowing water effects). You could also use two polarizers (the first being linear) to get a fully adjustable ND filter, going from 1 stop to completely black.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I'm not sure whether or not do I need to add a trigger, or I can just use the camera's timer
A wireless remote is useful in some circumstances, you can get one for 2$ on eBay. A wired trigger is less useful with modern cameras where the bulb mode keeps the shutter open until you press back again, but you do risk moving the camera slightly for long exposures. Again 2$ will get you one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I'm also considering getting the cheap DA-L-35mm-F2.4-AL pretty fast after the kit lens. Would that be sensible? as I said, I'll be doing landscapes and architecture mostly, I don't pretty much care about portraits and range.
It's a very good lens by all accounts. You might want to wait just a bit until you decide which focal length you enjoy as I said, and maybe you will want to spend money on a higher-quality lens, like the 35 macro limited or the 21 limited (a wonderful lens for landscapes).

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
maybe I need a fast card, considering that Im planning to shoot RAW only and do the processing? or is it the case that any card will do?
Yes, get a fast reliable card (or two) you will not regret it. It's better to buy two lower-capacity cards than one large capacity card.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax!
04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,328
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Nikon is fine but there are many compelling reasons to go with Pentax, in my opinion (and most people here will of course agree )



Usually Pentax honours an international warranty of one year.



If you plan on shooting at high ISO values, then yes, otherwise not so much.



That's sensible, it's inexpensive, reliable and will let you discover which focal lengths you enjoy using.



I never use a UV filter on my lenses except on my 50 since it came equipped with it. I got one with my 60-250 and never used it, I fear it will degrade the IQ. A polarizer on the other hand is quite useful and I use the few I own quite often. A ND filter is a specialized item, useful for longer exposures (I use mine for flowing water effects). You could also use two polarizers (the first being linear) to get a fully adjustable ND filter, going from 1 stop to completely black.



A wireless remote is useful in some circumstances, you can get one for 2$ on eBay. A wired trigger is less useful with modern cameras where the bulb mode keeps the shutter open until you press back again, but you do risk moving the camera slightly for long exposures. Again 2$ will get you one.



It's a very good lens by all accounts. You might want to wait just a bit until you decide which focal length you enjoy as I said, and maybe you will want to spend money on a higher-quality lens, like the 35 macro limited or the 21 limited (a wonderful lens for landscapes).



Yes, get a fast reliable card (or two) you will not regret it. It's better to buy two lower-capacity cards than one large capacity card.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax!
Right now Adorama has a very sweet deal for K5+18-55+50-200. Can I just take this and then sell the 50-200 ?
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Yos
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 533
I don't see a reason why not.
And you never know, you might end up keeping the 50-200mm
04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Right now Adorama has a very sweet deal for K5+18-55+50-200. Can I just take this and then sell the 50-200 ?
I would make sure they are both WR versions. If you decide to sell, the DA 50-200 WR is easier to sell at a good price, around $150 used in the US. The L version is harder to sell at a reasonable price.

I just bought a used DA 50-200mm WR and I think it's a pretty good lens. The DA 55-300 is much more popular but about twice the price. For my use, I didn't think the extra 100mm was worth it.
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,328
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would make sure they are both WR versions. If you decide to sell, the DA 50-200 WR is easier to sell at a good price, around $150 used in the US. The L version is harder to sell at a reasonable price.

I just bought a used DA 50-200mm WR and I think it's a pretty good lens. The DA 55-300 is much more popular but about twice the price. For my use, I didn't think the extra 100mm was worth it.
I've just bought the K5 kit from adorama, body + 18-55 WR + 50-200 WR at 999$. Good price I guess ? I can hardly wait for it to arrive Thanks for all the suggestions!
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Yos
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 533
Congratulation! Let us know what you think about you new K5 and post some pictures once u had it for a while
04-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,418
You're going to love it!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, k30, k5, k5ii, kit, lens, pentax, pentax help, photography, plan, suggestions, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need suggestions for a printer habsfanusa Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 08-19-2012 08:57 AM
Buying a K-5, need guidance on choosing a lens Pelicashka Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 05-12-2012 06:49 AM
Need advice on buying Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Pepe Guitarra Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-18-2011 06:59 AM
Need a stopgap DSLR before buying a K5 - suggestions? Spock Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 11-22-2010 03:53 AM
need help buying a Pentax K100d!!! USCdeacon Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 02-22-2007 12:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top