Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

18-135 and K-x??

I'm thinking about buying this lens, but the vast majority of users who review the lens and post pictures seem to use K-5, K-7, or K-30. I have found very few who use the K-x with this lens, and that's my camera. So I'm just looking to see if anyone can speak specifically to the combination of this lens and camera. I know from the specs that they are technically compatible, but any comments on the handling (the balance of this lens on the smaller body), whether or not there are any issues given the lack of fine focus adjustment on the K-x, and general comments about images produced by this combination would be welcome. (No need to comment on the fact that K-x is not WR, but the lens is. I'm aware of that, but the lens still seems a good choice given its great review and range). Thank you.

04-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-x and the 18-135, and I love it. It's on my camera 75-80% of the time. I did have to adjust a bit for back-focusing. Balance and handling are great. I figure the WR is preparing for the future should I be able to get a K-30 someday.
04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I have a K-x and the 18-135, and I love it. It's on my camera 75-80% of the time. I did have to adjust a bit for back-focusing. Balance and handling are great. I figure the WR is preparing for the future should I be able to get a K-30 someday.
Thank you. When you say you adjusted for back focus, do you mean you adjusted something in the camera, or you just adjust the way you shoot to accommodate for the back focus issue? Thanks again.
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both. It is a great combo. FYI There are links to show you how to hack the software and allow for fine AF adjustments. Unlike say the K5 which can adjust for 20 lens combos. Your Kx can adjust globally meanng any adjustment will affect all lenses you have. I used to keep my Kx and K10 in the debug menu and kept a list with my tested adjustments. Note with the slower zoom you won't see as much BF/FF as with fast primes. I never even tested it. You would also have to test at multiple focal lengths and pick your poison as to what is the best adjustment. I usually shoot outdoors at f 6.7 -11 anyway. Wonderful lens. Hope this helps.

04-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As MSM noted, you can use debug mode to fine tune focusing. It's not in the K-x manual. You have to see how to do it following the steps described HERE.
04-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the combo and took it to Niagara Falls before upgrading to K-5. It's a fine walking around combo. I had to cover camera body but the front half of the lens was drentched. Pretty exciting