Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you might do well to pick up a used DA* 50-135 f/2.8 It's weather sealed and give you the same reach as the 18-135, but it's two stops faster than that lens at the telephoto end. That will allow you to keep your shutter speed high while keeping your ISO down when shooting sports. The image quality it superb, and it focuses reasonably fast and quite accurately. Think of it like a 70-200L IS for the Pentax system. Just make sure that the previous owner hasn't had any trouble with the SDM.

04-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you do buy a brand new Pentax dSLR do not forget to purchase the $19 2-Year Extended Warranty. It's the best deal in Pentaxland.
Thank You! Is that the price through everyone or through Pentax directly?
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I think you might do well to pick up a used DA* 50-135 f/2.8 It's weather sealed and give you the same reach as the 18-135, but it's two stops faster than that lens at the telephoto end. That will allow you to keep your shutter speed high while keeping your ISO down when shooting sports. The image quality it superb, and it focuses reasonably fast and quite accurately. Think of it like a 70-200L IS for the Pentax system. Just make sure that the previous owner hasn't had any trouble with the SDM.

I've read about the 50-135 but I worry the length is just not enough for sports. I'm not always front row at events and I could use the extra length. Any suggestions for a good WR with a greater reach?
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WR makes choosing a lens really easy. If you need WR, it must be one of these -
  • the cheap zooms: 18-55WR and 50-200WR
  • the midrange: DA 18-135WR
  • the expensive zooms: DA* 16-50/2.8, DA* 50-135/2.8, DA* 60-250/4
  • the primes: DA* 55/1.4, DA 100/2.8 Macro WR, DA* 200/2.8, DA* 300/4

I think I remembered everything.

04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxnewbee Quote
I've read about the 50-135 but I worry the length is just not enough for sports. I'm not always front row at events and I could use the extra length. Any suggestions for a good WR with a greater reach?
Well there's the 50-200 WR, but that's not a sports lens in my opinion. The DA* 60-250 f/4 is a very good choice, though it's one stop slower than the 50-135, but very similar in other respects, weather sealed, decent focus speed, reasonably priced (used). On the prime side, there is the DA* 200, 300, and 560, all weather sealed, and the first two are fast and reasonably priced, the third one... well good luck with that.
04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
WR makes choosing a lens really easy. If you need WR, it must be one of these -
  • the cheap zooms: 18-55WR and 50-200WR
  • the midrange: DA 18-135WR
  • the expensive zooms: DA* 16-50/2.8, DA* 50-135/2.8, DA* 60-250/4
  • the primes: DA* 55/1.4, DA 100/2.8 Macro WR, DA* 200/2.8, DA* 300/4
I think I remembered everything.

The 60-250 would take some serious savings!!
04-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, so if I have my lenses decided on...I still need a body! K5 vs K30???!!!

04-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding the 77 mm. It is a great lens but I wouldn't pay a premium for the silver. In fact you should consider the DA *55 mm. I think it is a better focal length. The 77 was always to long for me. You say you like to do nudes. I suspect that would be indoors. The 77 would be giving you tight shots. You can use the 18-135 lens to see if either the 77 or 55 works. You might even like the 43 mm limited lens better. Also the 55 mm is WR which seems to be what you are after and is nearly a stop faster than the 77 mm and i believe cheaper then the silver 77. Just my thoughts good luck.
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Regarding the 77 mm. It is a great lens but I wouldn't pay a premium for the silver. In fact you should consider the DA *55 mm. I think it is a better focal length. The 77 was always to long for me. You say you like to do nudes. I suspect that would be indoors. The 77 would be giving you tight shots. You can use the 18-135 lens to see if either the 77 or 55 works. You might even like the 43 mm limited lens better. Also the 55 mm is WR which seems to be what you are after and is nearly a stop faster than the 77 mm and i believe cheaper then the silver 77. Just my thoughts good luck.

The nudes are inside and out. Some are "implied nudes". I agree that the 77 seems to be a big long. I think playing with the 18-135 for a bit and seeing where I end most of the time is a good idea. I'm generally not a prime person and I didn't have any with the Canon. The Tamron 28-75 seems like a good option for focal length portraits but it's not WR. The Pentax 17-70 is f4 and the Tamron is 2.8.
04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
MSM
Veteran Member

In that case I would go for the Tamron. The DA 17-70 doesn't get much airtime here. Others can comment on it. The best WR zoom for Pentax in this range is the DA * 16-50 which is quite expensive and has had issues with SDM motor. You could almost buy three tamrons for the price. You could drop one in the pool just because and still be ahead. Lol.
04-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
In that case I would go for the Tamron. The DA 17-70 doesn't get much airtime here. Others can comment on it. The best WR zoom for Pentax in this range is the DA * 16-50 which is quite expensive and has had issues with SDM motor. You could almost buy three tamrons for the price. You could drop one in the pool just because and still be ahead. Lol.

If the 16-50 has had issues, it's not for me! I don't have time and resources for that!! It's always a learning process when switching brands and it's tough finding people who have actually used Pentax in the photog world!
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I chose the FA77 over the DA70 it was the turning point in my life as a photographer. That's when I realized I would be going more for "the beautiful photograph" than what I call the "digital sharpness" of the DA70.

I also have to say that I like the silver look of my FA43 every time I put it on my camera, so if the FA77's a reasonable price I'd go for it.

As to the camera body, since you're also doing some sports I think you want the improved AF of either the K-30 or K-5 II/IIs. I have both the IIs and the original K-5, and the IIs is a noticeable improvement.

Don't forget that there are rumors of Pentax announcing new camera(s) this month (although I certainly don't consider this a sure thing) and Canon is rumored to be actually making a real live "7D Mk II" sometime "soon." I think that Canon (and probably only that one, which will almost certainly be more expensive) could also work for you (assuming it ever gets released) as long as you can find and afford the lenses you want. But if sports photography is secondary to portraiture the current Pentaxes are great! And, honestly, I'm reluctant to change out my Pentax even for sports photography (assuming I can afford it) because I really like the results I get when using it with my (faster focusing) screw-driven primes.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography.html

Canon EOS 7D Mark II rumored specifications | Photo Rumors

Pentax full frame DSLR camera is coming, but not tomorrow | Photo Rumors

Last edited by DSims; 04-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.
04-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
When I chose the FA77 over the DA70 it was the turning point in my life as a photographer. That's when I realized I would be going more for "the beautiful photograph" than what I call the "digital sharpness" of the DA70.

I also have to say that I like the silver look of my FA43 every time I put it on my camera, so if the FA77's a reasonable price I'd go for it.

As to the camera body, since you're also doing some sports I think you want the improved AF of either the K-30 or K-5 II/IIs. I have both the IIs and the original K-5, and the IIs is a noticeable improvement.

Don't forget that there are rumors of Pentax announcing new camera(s) this month (although I certainly don't consider this a sure thing) and Canon is rumored to be actually making a real live "7D Mk II" sometime "soon." I think that Canon (and probably only that one) could also work for you (assuming it ever gets released) as long as you can find and afford the lenses you want. But if sports photography is secondary to portraiture the current Pentaxes are great! And, honestly, I'm reluctant to change out my Pentax even for sports photography (assuming I can afford it) because I really like the results I get when using it with my (faster focusing) screw-driven primes.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography.html

Canon EOS 7D Mark II rumored specifications | Photo Rumors

Pentax full frame DSLR camera is coming, but not tomorrow | Photo Rumors
Yes, I heard about the new 7D. I've used the current 7D and I was impressed with the speed and accuracy. But it's not weather sealed and Canon doesn't offer WR lenses. For my purposes, I had to switch from Canon for the WR.

The silver version of the 77 is very appealing because I'm sure it looks awesome on the body! But again, the length might not work for indoor shoots.

The K5ii is not an option for me so I'm looking strictly at the K5 and K30. I've read the auto focus is better on the K30 but is that the only reason to choose the K30?
04-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

All personal preference of course, but I don't like the look of silver lenses on black bodies (silver on silver look great though), so all my FA limiteds I bought were black.
04-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
After all of your deliberations, you will come back and tell us what you decided on finally.