Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When is it time for a new battery?

I bought my k10D with two batteries from my cousin. She said she hadn't used it much, and it is in pristine condition, but I don't know what she meant by "not a lot." And I have no count of the number of times I've recharged these batteries.
So, how will I know when either/both of the D-LI50 batteries will be near the end of their lives? Will it run down faster and faster? Take longer to recharge? On our travels we sometimes are past the back gate to nowhere and I'd hate to be there when one or both batteries decide to throw in the towel permanently!

04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

At end of life, a battery can only provide less and less shots. Recharge time is alway about the same usually.

You shoudk test both batteries. The best way is possibly to fully charge each battery, and to use it. If you can get only 100-200 shots, the battery is near its end of life. (Better to throw away IMO.) If you can get more than 400 shots or more (before recharge), go for it. I like to have always two fully-charged batteries with me (in case), and I tend to use one, then the other to share the load.

Importantly, do fully-charge each battery (not half-way); it may take a couple of jours, possibly more, but do it.

Hope that the comment will help
04-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very helpful

Thank you. Both batteries seem to be doing quite well and it sounds like I'll get plenty of warning, time enough to get a new one.
04-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I also tend to replace mine fairly often on a first in, first out basis, probably more often than I actually need too. I treat these as the cheap bit of photography and are therefore consumables.

But for me failure is not an option and that's why I also carry a few spares at any one time, belt and braces that's me

04-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I usually replace a battery when it no longer holds a decent charge. My K10D battery is still going strong after 6 years.
04-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
DSLRs are pretty close to a perfect use-case for Li-Ion batteries like the D-Li90. Lithium Ion batters actually last longer when charged starting from a higher charge, and if you can use less voltage charging. Even shooting 300 or 400 pictures in a set, I rarely drain my K-7 or K-5 below half battery.

Source: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University , lots of numbers and fluff