Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 rear display stopped working

The rear display quit working today while using my K-5. I can't see menus or info, can't review photos, can't use LV, etc. I have tried removing the battery, changed batteries, changed lenses, etc..but I can't get the display to work. I really don't want to jump to the conclusion that the display has died, so I have been searching to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Is there a quick and easy fix or any suggestions that anyone might have?

Thanks.

04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably a long shot but try pressing the info button several times. I believe that toggles the rear screen off as part of it's cycle. If that does not help, I am afraid you may be looking at a repair call.
04-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nbu Quote
The rear display quit working today while using my K-5. I can't see menus or info, can't review photos, can't use LV, etc. I have tried removing the battery, changed batteries, changed lenses, etc..but I can't get the display to work. I really don't want to jump to the conclusion that the display has died, so I have been searching to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Is there a quick and easy fix or any suggestions that anyone might have?

Thanks.
Sometimes the display unplugs itself inside the camera. If so, it's a fairly easy DIY fix if you're comfortable with opening up your camera. If you're still covered by warranty, though, I'd just send the camera in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hold the menu button while turning on the camera. it should display the firmware version on the screen.
You can also connect the K-5 to your TV using the video cable to see what should be displayed on the screen. That way you can look around the menu.

It does sound like a repair job though.

04-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sometimes the display unplugs itself inside the camera. If so, it's a fairly easy DIY fix if you're comfortable with opening up your camera. If you're still covered by warranty, though, I'd just send the camera in.
That's interesting Adam.
Do you have a link for that repair ?
04-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
That's interesting Adam.
Do you have a link for that repair ?
No, but I remember reading a thread about it, so it must be here somewhere!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
nbu
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the display still isn't working. When I hook the camera up to the TV, I can see everything that should be on the camera's display, but unfortunately lugging around a TV kinda defeats the purpose of such a nice small DSLR body. LOL

I already sent my K-5 away for repairs 3 times for a total of 11 weeks during the 2 year warranty period, and I'm now about 5 months past the warranty period and am dreading the thought of having to send it in again. I can't afford another camera body or a hefty repair bill, so I might have to try and attempt a DYI repair.
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by nbu Quote

Thanks.
I just started having this problem and it turns out to be somehow related to the memory card. It's happened twice and I haven't figured out what the issue is. Take a look at other posts - search K-5 memory card errors. Very annoying.

04-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

Have you tried to reset the camera? Take out the battery overnight. Recharge it fully and re-start the camera.

If it does not works, I would follow Adam/s suggestion: search the forum for a relevant DIY repair.
04-07-2013, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #10

if memory card door is open the display is off. so check there
04-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
if memory card door is open the display is off. so check there
That's a good heads up, didn't know that one.