Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed that reds are pretty odd in most digital cameras. You can try using polarizing filters to remove the pink wavelength being reflected. I think polarizers are often used for flower photography. Im mostly posting this to subscribe to this thread in case any better solutions are posted.

04-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Oh the dreaded red colour. For jpeg, the K-r is...okay, the K100d is horrendous at picking up red. But, as stated, tweaking some contrast and saturation helps. Shooting RAW is my way of dealing with terrible, terrible red roses
04-06-2013, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery
I have a lot of trouble with red, too.

It nearly always AE overexposes reds on my K10 or K5. So adjust for that when out there. I've found that to help a little bit.

Also I've found it helpful to avoid shooting under a blue sky. Most red things are somewhat shiny so you end up with bright blue specular highlights off a red object, which is really hard to deal with.

Those two points I find to help a little, but still I find them hard. Looking forward to any other tips others might share.

Bright yellow (being half red) is also difficult. Compounding matters, I think many computer screens are lacking in the red department. (Even my Sony LED TV is shocking in that regard, blocking on anything remotely red or pink.) I bet half the time it looks crap on screen but would print OK... but it's an expensive thing to find out!

Sometimes I end up with pleasing results after processing (RAW) but these rarely ring true with what I actually saw in the field. This rose was coloured in a spectrum of gorgeous satin reds and pinks - it looked neon purple on the computer until I toned it down to this. I like it, but it's not what I saw.

04-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have noticed this also and I even started a thread asking a similar question. My suggestion from learnings so far is not to over-expose the red (check the histogram), shoot in raw and use an adjustment called "selective colour" in PS to adjust the colour to a more accurate red. Other people may have other solutions, there is no one right answer just gotta figure out what works for you =)

04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shoot RAW and watch out for 'out of gamut' and red channel clipping when post-processing

Last edited by kh1234567890; 04-08-2013 at 02:13 AM.
04-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're looking for in-camera solutions to the red problem, here are some tips that have worked for me:
1. Select the "Natural" custom image setting,
2. and/or reduce saturation one step,
3. and/or set hue +1

As others have mentioned, watch out for overexposure and red channel clipping.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
If you're looking for in-camera solutions to the red problem, here are some tips that have worked for me:
1. Select the "Natural" custom image setting,
2. and/or reduce saturation one step,
3. and/or set hue +1

As others have mentioned, watch out for overexposure and red channel clipping.

Regards,
--Anders.
You just made me realize I can change colour filters for my B/W settings and bypass... did not know I could do that!