Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color issues with red.

I sure this is common issue I had this with all my cameras and I wonder if anyone knows how to keep from taking photos like this example without pink to it.
I thought it was the lighting from the sky that reflects the sun or something, yet I may be right and may be little I can do and never realized this, but I never asked this before because it never bother me before then I take photos of roses the same thing happens.
As you can see the hood is red and some reason pink on this Camaro.

04-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What camera and lens are you using ?
04-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
What camera and lens are you using ?
I use different types the same results. Today I took photo of roses with K-5 with Sigma 28mm f/1.8.
The one above with Camaro was taken with Pentax K-x on kit lens.
04-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
I sure this is common issue I had this with all my cameras and I wonder if anyone knows how to keep from taking photos like this example without pink to it.
I thought it was the lighting from the sky that reflects the sun or something, yet I may be right and may be little I can do and never realized this, but I never asked this before because it never bother me before then I take photos of roses the same thing happens.
As you can see the hood is red and some reason pink on this Camaro.
Well, the body looks red. The hood is pink. Thats how the car was painted.

04-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Well, the body looks red. The hood is pink. Thats how the car was painted.
Really?
Here is the roses I was talking about, unless my eyes don't see them like the camera dose. this was HDR photo yet red should not be so pinkish in certain lighting or should it?
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Really?
yowza...turn down your saturation and contrast. If you use your histogram, you will see that you are blowing out the red channel. saturation and contrast will help, but make sure you have a good exposure too.

the reason I says the hood is pink, look at the line where the hood meets the side of the car. it goes from red, to pink for no reason. right at that line.
04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

The hood looks as if it has been repainted at some time, and red automotive finishes are the most difficult to match. Additionally, if a poor quality refinishing product is used, the pigments will degrade and fade in the UV from sunlight.

Our eyes may not always detect variances in color shades that the sensor of our cameras will reproduce perfectly.
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I've generally had better results with red on Pentax (K-01), but it is the nemesis color of digital. This photo tends a bit towards pink, and was basically out of the box, but pretty good in my mind. It likely could have been adjusted some. I could not replicate this with my N5100, which totally blew the reds, leaving little detail. Admittedly I have less experience here than a lot of people on the Forum.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yowza...turn down your saturation and contrast. If you use your histogram, you will see that you are blowing out the red channel. saturation and contrast will help, but make sure you have a good exposure too.

the reason I says the hood is pink, look at the line where the hood meets the side of the car. it goes from red, to pink for no reason. right at that line.
I guess I see how you can misjudge, yea in person the car did not have a pink hood like that it was red like the rest of it, but if you look closer you see it's kinda pinkish on the nose too, thanks for the tips, for the life of me never knew it was my saturation and contrast I think they set default I never adjusted them.
04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I've generally had better results with red on Pentax (K-01), but it is the nemesis color of digital. This photo tends a bit towards pink, and was basically out of the box, but pretty good in my mind. It likely could have been adjusted some. I could not replicate this with my N5100, which totally blew the reds, leaving little detail. Admittedly I have less experience here than a lot of people on the Forum.
Yea same here, I learn new things here all the time, I also learn each camera is different in color control in auto settings as well.
(I use manual 99% of the time these days)

Pentax K110D

Fuji FinePix S5700
04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #11

Really?
Here is the roses I was talking about, unless my eyes don't see them like the camera dose. this was HDR photo yet red should not be so pinkish in certain lighting or should it?

I agree that the camera setting could use some tweaking, when considering the rose picture. But the way the light is reflecting the color wavelengths may not be readily viewed with the naked eye.
04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I agree that the camera setting could use some tweaking, when considering the rose picture. But the way the light is reflecting the color wavelengths may not be readily viewed with the naked eye.
I knew there must been some scientific reason it did that.
I try some adjustments in the menu and see what I can do.
04-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

I knew there must been some scientific reason it did that.
I try some adjustments in the menu and see what I can do.
Notice also the brown car in the background. From the back edge of the back door to the tail light the brown is a slightly lighter shade, clearly having been repainted.

I did notice on the Camaro the bumper cover has a graduated change of color. This happens from the change of direction of the panel and the general direction of sunlight. And the peeled patches of clearcoat on the red also give away the poor refinish work.

But like the others have mentioned, it may be possible to "fool" the camera sensor with a color and contrast adjustment, but some detail may also be lost.
04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter

https://www.box.com/s/3411bde42028475cc6e6
For comparison, a camera jpg from ist ds of a red Corvette and some of other colors
04-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Emperor and Senpai

Hey Chris, take the pics in RAW and then process them. You should do better. Also play with the white balance if needed.

Better yet send me some of your RAW files.