Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a DLSR beginner and decided to go with Pentax. Recently grabbed a K5 deal from adorama (body + 2 lens, 18-55 and 50-200 both WR). I'm planning to experiment a bit with those kit lens before deciding which expensive lens I will buy next.

I had to choose between K5, K5II and K30.

I chose K5 over K5II because of 1) price 2) Minimal differences between those models that I will probably not need in practice.

I chose K5 over K30 because 1) longer battery life (I use to do long trips so this is really important for me) 2) top LCD screen on K5 seems very handy.

I suggest you should either get K30, last K5 deals or a used K5 and save money for lenses. If you're new to DSLR, you could follow my plan and play a little bit with the cheap kit lense before deciding which expesive lens you should buy next.

04-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Forum Member

I recently had to make the exact same decision. I was switching from Canon to Pentax because Pentax fit my needs for having WR. I decided to go with the K5 for a couple reason...1) longer battery life 2) better low light 3) room to grow 4) more fps 5) less shutter lag

It took me weeks to determine what my needs really were and what to decide. I researched and read and asked for lots of opinions. I think a lot of people (me included) get caught up with the colors or look of the K30 vs the K5. But honestly, a used K5 is cheaper than a new K30 and has better options and room to grow.

I would suggest really considering your use for the camera and your long term goals. Read and research beore making your decision. I drove myself a little crazy and stayed up very late a lot nights before I made my decision. The "kit" I decided to purchase (all used): K, 18-135, 100-300, and a flash. In the near future I will b picking up the 35 and 77 primes. I wanted to start with a good range of focal points and zooms in order to determine where my use really was and to get a handle on the Pentax brand.I considered purchasing the Tamron 28-75 because I've heard such a great lens but right now I have no use for it.

What are your photog needs? What are your goals? What's your main subject??
04-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I just moved up from 3 generations of Panasonic Superzooms into a K-30 w/ 18-135WR and love it. My lens budget is a little more modest so I'm having to build by kit over time, but I've purchased a DA 55-300 to cover my long end and a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 to mess around with manual focusing and have a nice fast prime. I'm currently on the prowl for a ~28mm prime to have a wider option and picked up a Pentax m42 adapter to try out the world of fully manual shooting. I do want one of those cool 2.8 zooms someday but I don't want to rush into it until I have more experience and know exactly what my priorities will be. Right now though, I think I'd pick the DA* 16-85mm that's on the lens roadmap - this strikes me as an amazingly useful range to cover. Maybe by the time it actually comes out I'll have saved up enough clams to get one
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Which one do you actually want? I ask that because if you don't get it, you'll just end up getting it in a weak moment six months down the line anyway. I'm guessing that it starts with "K" and ends with "-5 IIs". So just make that decision and pull the trigger. Other stuff - tripod, flash, sexy primes - can come later. The only other thing I would advise at this point is a bag that you're happy to lug around all day.

04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #20

Original Poster
I'm overwhelmed. People are talking about the pentax forums being a tightly knit community with really helpful folk, but you are great and beyond. Thank you all.

I'm pretty firm on getting a cheap(er) body, K-30 or K-5, and invest in lenses...only makes sense. Yes, I do want a K-5 IIs, but with talk about a K-3 around the corner, I don't want to go thrrough the pain of getting a body that gets demoted a month later.

With a cheaper body in mind, I'm probably gonna wait till the camera show and meet that happens in a couple of weeks, see what kind of glass I can get, and get a body after.

Luckily, I have Crumpler I love lugging around every day, a decent tripod, cards, the whole jazz. I just need my Pentaxeses.

Additional question: is there any WR lens that might be good for full frame, if that ever happens?

I don't crave full frame to show off, nor am I shooting landscapes only - it's just that in my mind FF gives you way better low light performance...correct me if I'm wrong. That performance, combined with the WR an the ability to use 50 million legacy lenses would make a perfect package IMO. APS-C is great, but I'd still like to get FF compatible lenses, when and where possible.
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Four (I believe):
DA* 55mm
DFA 100mm Macro WR
DA* 200mm
DA* 300mm

So no landscape lenses!
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #22

Original Poster
The DA* are marked as APS-C only in the database...the DFAs are marked FF, but only the 100mm is WR.

04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

They may be marked as APS-C only, but some of them cover the full-frame image circle. Apparently the 60-250mm is a fifth one to add to the list.
04-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, I believe the four which top-quark mentioned are indeed weather sealed. (Though it does not explicitly say WR in the names of those lenses)
04-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* lenses are WR