Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

Tamron Adaptall 2 PK/A versus P/K

Good Morning. I'm just wondering if there's a simple explanation for the advantages of the PK/A adaptor over the P/K adaptor. I'm considering investing in some additional Tamron lenses (I currently own the 180 F2.5 as well as one PK/A adaptor which I would like to simply leave on the lens, rather than taking it off and on). I see that the PK/A commands quite a price differential and it also seems to have some "issues" from what I've read. So what's the downside in using the PK adaptor? Thanks! geraldan

04-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The difference is that for a PK adapter you will need to use green button metering where you manually stop down the lens to get the exposure settings. With the PKA the camera can do that for you. If you are comfortable using M type lenses then a PK adapter will work much the same, and the PKA like A type lenses. The price difference is that PKA adapters can be hard to come by. Some of them have minor issues with the contact pin which is readily fixed by scratching off any coating that may have formed. I have one like that - and it can also be a bit tempermental depending on how gently I mount the lens. But it tends to work fairly well although I don't use it much as the two Adaptall lenses I got are okay, or poorer than okay in quality.
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The difference is that for a PK adapter you will need to use green button metering where you manually stop down the lens to get the exposure settings. With the PKA the camera can do that for you. If you are comfortable using M type lenses then a PK adapter will work much the same, and the PKA like A type lenses. The price difference is that PKA adapters can be hard to come by. Some of them have minor issues with the contact pin which is readily fixed by scratching off any coating that may have formed. I have one like that - and it can also be a bit tempermental depending on how gently I mount the lens. But it tends to work fairly well although I don't use it much as the two Adaptall lenses I got are okay, or poorer than okay in quality.
Thanks very much for that information ... appreciated.
04-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 PKA adaptors, one PK and 2 M42 adaptors. For me, the PKA adaptor is worth the money if it works, but is terribly fragile, and complex. The down side of the PK is the aperture movement and the inaccuracy metering especially on the K10/20 cameras.

If your lens is heavy, like the 180/2.5 be very careful with a PKA and supporting the lens from the body.

04-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have 2 PKA adaptors, one PK and 2 M42 adaptors. For me, the PKA adaptor is worth the money if it works, but is terribly fragile, and complex. The down side of the PK is the aperture movement and the inaccuracy metering especially on the K10/20 cameras.

If your lens is heavy, like the 180/2.5 be very careful with a PKA and supporting the lens from the body.
Great advice - thanks! geraldan