Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Can't shoot with Helios 44K-4

I bet this is a typical beginner question, but I can't take shots with my Helios 44K-4.
Just got the camera (K-5IIs) and tried 2 shots with the tamron 17-50, it worked just fine.
But when trying the Helios in Manual mode, the camera won't take the shot.
I've noticed the 'F' blinking in the viewfinder and LCD and it is not possible
to change ISO nor exposure time either.
Metering is in green.
Any suggestions?
all the best.

04-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this article:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

THis should cover all you need to know: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Short answer is you need to enable 'Aperture ring' in the menus. Not sure of the menu number on the k-5II
04-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beat me again Adam..........

04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Adam! I've read that before posting this but when I scrolled down I missed the Aperture ring step.
I must read carefully next time.
I apologize for such a silly thread.
Everything works fine!
all the best
04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbruzzone Quote
Thank you Adam! I've read that before posting this but when I scrolled down I missed the Aperture ring step.
I must read carefully next time.
I apologize for such a silly thread.
Everything works fine!
all the best
Not so silly. Just about everyone who owns a K-5 has been caught by this.

Don't be afraid to ask even what you might think is a trivial question. Pentax Forums is full of friendly members who love to help out, and your questions will help others too.

Cheers
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, enable aperture ring. And then input the closest focal length. You can use Av mode and it will meter continuously, but it will always shoot wide open, so its only useful in few situations. M mode is what you will be using most of the time, where you set aperture on the lens and press green button, which will adjust your shutter speed for the given aperture and ISO. You don't have to meter before every shot btw, you will soon get a "feeling" on exposure and won't have to meter often at all.
Also, for getting the focus just right, you might want to read up on CiF (Catch in focus or focus trapping) or just try focusing with Live view and digital magnification. These things can be pretty helpful with using manual lenses.
Oh, and congrats on that wonderful camera Enjoy

04-09-2013, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

This question comes up about once a week, so it is something of a race to see who will respond with that link first. Adam usually wins.
04-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, enable aperture ring. And then input the closest focal length. You can use Av mode and it will meter continuously, but it will always shoot wide open, so its only useful in few situations. M mode is what you will be using most of the time, where you set aperture on the lens and press green button, which will adjust your shutter speed for the given aperture and ISO. You don't have to meter before every shot btw, you will soon get a "feeling" on exposure and won't have to meter often at all.
Also, for getting the focus just right, you might want to read up on CiF (Catch in focus or focus trapping) or just try focusing with Live view and digital magnification. These things can be pretty helpful with using manual lenses.
Oh, and congrats on that wonderful camera Enjoy
Thank you Na Horuk! Yes I was getting my first shots with the Helios now and I can say that I love that Bokeh!
I was half-pressing the shutter button so I know when the camera is in focus.
I found a little difficult to press the green button for metering, but that is just part of learning the camera.
One thing that I'm missing is the live histogram, or at least a reading about the illumination in the scene.
I mean, with a given ISO, aperture value and exposure time, wouldn't be great to have a reading just to see if
those parameters would give an under or over exposed shot in the view finder ?
My previous camera, Panasonic Lumix Fz28 had those readings available (on screen). I though it was something standard.
I'm reading the manual to find more on that. So far, superb camera!
all the best!
04-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Not so silly. Just about everyone who owns a K-5 has been caught by this.

Don't be afraid to ask even what you might think is a trivial question. Pentax Forums is full of friendly members who love to help out, and your questions will help others too.

Cheers
Thank you! Yes, I read some parts of the manual before posting, and actually I read about the ring.
But once I tried the lens,..I forgot that subtle thing!
I don't want to bother you guys with simple questions (most of them probably asked before!)
But if something wrong appears again, I know where to ask!
04-12-2013, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just a quick post, a shot of my bass guitar with this lens.
It was shot in low light, more pictures soon!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I would like to ask how to use Helios 44K-4, I have Pentax K-3 camera with Aperture ring enabled, but when I set aperture with ring on lens, camera do not set it when I take the picture. I have done some investigation and now I know, that bayonet of that helios is missing something, what pulls lever on pentax body, as you can see:

What can I do to have aperture working? Please help!

thanks
11-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is a zombie thread, but the question is worth addressing again.

With aperture ring enabled, the lens will stop down under the following circumstances:
  • Immediately before and until the end exposure when shooting in M mode
  • When using optical DOF preview
  • When the green button is pushed in M mode for stop-down metering
Other than those times the lens stays open to allow for easy focusing.

Your mount appears to be complete and in good condition. You can test aperture functionality by taking the lens off the camera and stopping down to the narrowest aperture (f/16 of f/22). The iris should close almost completely. Flick the lever that protrudes from the back of the lens at about 7:00 o'clock in your photo. The aperture should open fully and without hesitation and stop back down immediately when the lever is released.

Shoot in M mode for when using non-A contact K-mount lenses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2014 at 11:08 PM.
11-16-2014, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Gallery
Thank You very much for answer! I have done everything ok except mode I have used, not AV is right choice, but M! Green button works, also aperture works!