Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Adapter for old takamur lens

Asahi Takumar lens, 1:2.8 / 105mm (1960)has just been bought for my K5II but I did not realise I needed an adapter. Can anyone tell me what adapter I would need for my k mount camera to mount this old 1960s lens?

Any help would be much appreciated...

04-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

M42 to K mount adapter - see the links in the previus post. Genuine Pentax adapters are about $70 (ouch!) but there are heaps of cheapies on ebay startng at around $3. Just a couple of things to be aware of: some do not give infinity focus (I have not checked this, but it must be something to do with the thickness of the plate that sits against the lens. Isupppose it could be polished down); some also have a litttle clip that fastens them to the camera mount and you then need a special tool (which comes with the converter) to remove the adapter. I take these little clips off so the adapter just slips on and off. I find the friction keeeps them attached to the screw thread firmly. So all my M42 lenses wear an adapter "permanently" and work just fine. Have fun with that Takumar. They are a pleasure to use!
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
M42 to K mount adapter - see the links in the previus post. Genuine Pentax adapters are about $70 (ouch!) but there are heaps of cheapies on ebay startng at around $3. Just a couple of things to be aware of: some do not give infinity focus (I have not checked this, but it must be something to do with the thickness of the plate that sits against the lens. Isupppose it could be polished down); some also have a litttle clip that fastens them to the camera mount and you then need a special tool (which comes with the converter) to remove the adapter. I take these little clips off so the adapter just slips on and off. I find the friction keeeps them attached to the screw thread firmly. So all my M42 lenses wear an adapter "permanently" and work just fine. Have fun with that Takumar. They are a pleasure to use!
Do NOT buy one with a flange (flat plate that sits between the camera and lens) if you want infinity focus. You really can't polish or grind it down. You want one that fits inside the mount on the camera and sits flush with the metal portion of the mount ring. The biggest hassle with the non-Pentax adapters is that the spring-clip can get jammed in the camera and make dismounting the lens very difficult. Removing the clip and spring (usually involves unscrewing a single very small screw) does result in a mount that does not click into place but will allow infinity focus and is safe short of vigorous shaking and lots of violent movement.

04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You will also need this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html it explains how older lenses such as your Takumar work on modern cameras.

As noted above there are original Pentax adapters and then a multitude of after market ones. The after market ones come in flanged and non-flanged, you need the non-flanged, it must seat so that the adapter is flush or slightly below the camera mount in order for it to work properly. The flanged ones can be used with a bellows and I have one on mine as it makes no difference to infinity focus there.

I find the Pentax original adapter worth the money, though I paid no where near $70 for mine. I do have third party ones on my 400mm and 300mm Takumars as I find it too awkward to thread them onto the camera. Since I mostly use them on a tripod, it is not a problem to remove the clip as described by PJ1.
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
$70 is an exaggeration. You can get a genuine Pentax adapter for $40 pretty easily. If you're patient and enjoy prowling eBay you can get them cheaper, but it takes some effort. I just got mine for $16 recently.
04-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
$70 is an exaggeration. You can get a genuine Pentax adapter for $40 pretty easily. If you're patient and enjoy prowling eBay you can get them cheaper, but it takes some effort. I just got mine for $16 recently.
The OP is in the UK. The genuine adapter is quite a bit more expensive in Europe...
04-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For pros and cons, you can find several reviews of the 'Pentax Mount Adapter K' at: Pentax Mount Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

04-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The OP is in the UK. The genuine adapter is quite a bit more expensive in Europe...
And in the U.K., the SRT-Griturn unit is the obvious choice.

Steve