Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #16

Original Poster
HI, thanks for all the input, I'm uploading a cpl pics from last night shot on my new K-5 with an old 50mm lens with 1.7 appeture, as you can see the stage lighting was a bit bright, I kept the iso at 3200, shutter at about 60, and on manual..Any tips or ideas on better shots next time....or even tips on fine tuning the pics on the camera or on the computer....cheers Mark

Attached Images

Last edited by 0408shadow; 04-20-2013 at 11:44 PM.
04-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes, set the WB to tungsten and bump the ISO up another step or two. You need at least 1/125 - 1/250 to stop action, although 1/500 is better.

Attached shot at 1/250 and ISO 6400 with a K-5 + 50-300 mm, WB set to tungsten and tweaked in PSE-Camera Raw. I was at f/6.3. For a group of people on stage, an f-stop less than about 4 will create a very shallow depth of field - too shallow to catch a group in focus. I would only go that low for a solo shot of a principal actor. For some shots at this job, when the lights were down lower, I kicked the ISO up to 8000 with acceptable results.

Not bad for a first effort. Stage shooting is different. More practice will help. Keep at it.

Last edited by abmj; 04-20-2013 at 10:09 PM.
04-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #18

Original Poster
Nice shot you have there Jim...soo clear, I didn't think of using my Sigma 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 II HSM for the performance as I was too worried about the lighting and as there was only one perf I didn't have time to change lenses.....Thanks for the cool tips tho I tried them straight away in a semi dark room at home and noticed the difference! I've uploaded a cpl more, one I used the older lense for and the other I used the 18-200, I was getting pretty frustrated with both actually, most of the 18-200 came out too dark, and the SMC A stuggled with the action shots and took along time to focus..... Sorry both these were the 18-200, i'll post another
Attached Images

04-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #19

Original Poster
This is the pic shot from the SMC A...Cheers

Attached Images

10-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #20

any advise on suitable hot shoe and macro flash wanted

can any one out there advise me on a hot shoe flash and a Macro flash to use on my k200d there are so many to choose from not sure what's best suited, as on a budget so can't afford any expensive one, anything under $100 or slightly over I have to think about postage included as well it sometimes cost more than the item, thanks
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fully automatic flashes for the K200D are P-TTL. They communicate with the camera and should allow you to just turn on the flash and fire away while the camera and flash make your photos wonderful. That works sometimes. To be more precise, the automatic part does mostly work but flash power, light direction and color don't always create a great shot. For the best photos, you can't escape knowing how to adjust those yourself. The automatic settings are useful for letting the flash take over some of the less critical settings. (For example, the flash will match the angle of coverage to your lens, so using a zoom is easier.) Your budget is probably not enough for a P-TTL flash anyway.

The alternative is a manual flash. The camera only tells the flash to fire, while you have set the power and maybe angle of coverage yourself. That does mean extra work and time. You have to learn how it all contributes to the shot. The flashes are well within your budget, and you can buy used or new. Just look at non-dedicated flashes. In the US, the Yongnuo YN-560 II is only about $60.
10-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #22

thanks for your reply, much appreciated
11-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
hi a similar question I have a Haminex tz3*36a (http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/hanimex_zoom_twin_tz3_36a.pdf) in the post and hopefully here today according to the tracking. This is TTL with auto and manual modes and supposed to work with my k200d. I want to use it off camera either wired with pc sync or wireless. It's a 4.5 volt trigger according to the manual.
I don't know yet if it has a pc sync socket, my k200d doesn't thats for sure.

I've been looking at several trigger / receiver options RF602 and RF603 systems for wireless but they seem relatively expensive compared to units with wireless built in. I think there are little cubes which would give me the pc sync which are very cheap from china/hk but mostly they seem to only talk about canon and nikon, (and sony which is different) rather than pentax.

I do have a optical trigger which is triggered when it see's my camera built in flash go off. I've been using it with a Boots speedtron IV a very basic flash it is of some use on a lightweight tripod (one designed for light weight point and shoot camera's). I've also got a mike stand which i adapted it's got a good reach and a counter weighted boom which might be useful for lighting indoors anyway.

I've also got a swivel mount type B on order and am looking at getting a couple of 33" umbrella's translucent and reflective.

anyway the 3 grey areas are
should i get one or two of these wired cubes and will the canon type be ok with the K200D (my prefered option these are cheap enough to be replaced or augmented later.
or should i go for wireless rf602/603 triggers and receivers. (single or a pair )
seems the rf602 has issues not being able to sync to 1/180th
see(https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/69648-rf-602-...iggers-11.html) thread the RD616 seems to be more useful but has a shorter range.

or maybe i'm better to go for another flash unit with wireless built in and use the haminex as a slave to the remote flash.

As you can tell i'm really not looking to spend a lot until I know i can use this equipment effectively and creatively. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

found out a few things for a manual flash it doesnt really matter if its canon nikon or pentax. It's being used off camera in manual mode.
my hanimex flash wasn't a great buy not useless but more levels are handy to balance the light.
a swivel head would be better so my optical trigger can work at close range. Its hard to aim the flash at the subject while allowing the optical to see the flash.
youngnou 560II's are fairly cheap have a built in pc sync socket and have a reputation for being unreliable 460's are cheaper but not quite so featured. there are reliable flash units but they cost twice as much or more.

The k200d has quite a slow sync speed at 1/180th and i think you need to spend a lot more on a flash to go faster.

Last edited by blackest; 11-09-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: further info