Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

quick-shift?

I have a K2000 Pentax camera. Will the quick-shift in the DA 55-300mm Pentax lens work? Or if it doesn't work then will I be better off buying the DA L version? I'm not sure what the quick-shift does or how necessary it is to a novice user.
Thanks,
Trey

04-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick shift allows you to focus manually while the camera and lens are in auto focus mode. It is very useful for a lot of things. Often the camera will focus on a branch or something close to where the bird you want to shoot is, with quick shift you can manually tweak things just the way you want.

No reason it should not work on your camera it is inherent to the lens design and has nothing to do with the camera.

I have the DA L version and it is fine but if given the choice I would take the DA version with quick shift. You also get a hood and a metal mount with the DA version.
04-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks this was just what I wanted.
Trey
04-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Banned

Just remember to let the camera finish focusing before you use the quick shift, you also need to keep the shutter button half pressed or you'll start the whole process over again.

04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too would love to have the Quick Shift (DA) versions of my DA L lenses. That said, I've become fairly proficient at flipping the switch on my K-r from AF to MF, doing my manual focus tweak, taking the shot, and flipping the switch back to AF. Still nowhere as convenient or fast as Quick Shift however. But if like me, you find a sweet deal on a DA L version of a desired lens, you put up with the inconvenience.
04-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I held strong until I found a sweet deal on a DA 55-300, quick-shift rocks and since I would be using this lens for wildlife shots being able to correct the focus onto the animal instead of the branch is something I expect to use quite a bit.
04-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

One thing you can do with a non-quickshift lens is press the lens release button with your pinky, and change focus. The torque required to remove the lens is much higher than required to focus, so it won't come off doing that (unless you yank it around!). Voila, all lenses are now quickshift!
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
One thing you can do with a non-quickshift lens is press the lens release button with your pinky, and change focus.
Hm, good point, but isn't that basically as much work as moving the AF/MF switch?

04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, good point, but isn't that basically as much work as moving the AF/MF switch?
I tend to move the AF/MF switch, but Kozlak's technique may be faster because you have to move the AF/MF switch back to AF yourself, whereas the lens release button will pop back on its own.
The risk is if the lens rotates at all in the mount - either direction, you will lose not only AF but also aperture control from the body - - that's especially not nice on a lens that doesn't have an aperture ring.
04-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The lens won't rotate. The mount is much tighter than the focus ring. Heck, my M42 lenses are all on fotodiox adapters with the clip removed, so they are free, and my Helios focuses much harder than any other lens, and it doesn't budge in the mount.

My technique is also easier because at least on my K-X, the A/M switch is very hard to slide, and it takes the left hand and a bit of concentration.
04-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey Vincent Quote
I have a K2000 Pentax camera. Will the quick-shift in the DA 55-300mm Pentax lens work? Or if it doesn't work then will I be better off buying the DA L version? I'm not sure what the quick-shift does or how necessary it is to a novice user.
Thanks,
Trey
I have the DA 55-300 and do a lot of wildlife/birds and the quickshift is great. The lens has a noisy focus with a long throw. I can focus faster and quietly using quickshift. It pretty much is necessary, because that noisy autofocus will scare a bird or chipmunk away every time.