Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #1

How do you shoot 14.6 MP?

How do you shoot 14.6 mp shots all the time. It seems like my K20D adjusts the pixels on the fly to around the 7-11 MP. The camera is set 14.6 JPEG. Help!

04-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're just seeing the file size which is bytes not pixels. If you look at the EXIF data or Properties in Windows, you should see 4672x3104 for every shot. Each file is compressed somewhat so the file size will vary a little depending on how much data was in the shot. The pixel count will be the same unless you change it in the camera.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 04-11-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: looked up pixels per side
04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you looking at the file size or the picture size in pixels?

Using JPEG compression the file size is variable as a function of commonality of colors and the a,out of fine detail. Look at the photo area in pixels that should multiply out to 14.6.
04-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mp means mega pixels which is horizontal pixels x vertical pixels. That does not change as it is a function of the camera / sensor. However, the actual size of the file (in mb or megabytes) will change depending on the image. A picture with a lot of detail and color will be much larger than a picture of a plain single color wall. This is caused by the jpeg compression which reduces the size of file and can get a greater reduction on simpler images.

04-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think you're just seeing the file size which is bytes not pixels. If you look at the EXIF data or Properties in Windows, you should see 4672x3104 for every shot. Each file is compressed somewhat so the file size will vary a little depending on how much data was in the shot. The pixel count will be the same unless you change it in the camera.
Thank you , I checked and you are correct,it must be a compression thing. I thought I was getting short changed
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Are you looking at the file size or the picture size in pixels?

Using JPEG compression the file size is variable as a function of commonality of colors and the a,out of fine detail. Look at the photo area in pixels that should multiply out to 14.6.
Thanks I did the math and it works out
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
mp means mega pixels which is horizontal pixels x vertical pixels. That does not change as it is a function of the camera / sensor. However, the actual size of the file (in mb or megabytes) will change depending on the image. A picture with a lot of detail and color will be much larger than a picture of a plain single color wall. This is caused by the jpeg compression which reduces the size of file and can get a greater reduction on simpler images.
Thanks, I believe it is the compression feature

04-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to you all, I spent days searching the web and got great answers here in minutes, Thanks again!
04-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HappyO Quote
I thought I was getting short changed
Aye, that's a horrible feeling and the longer it goes on the worse you feel, no one wants that, but we all tend to do it.

Anyway good result, that's you sorted.