Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax af 500 ftz and pentax istds question

Hi, I have a pentax istds and bought a few months ago a pentax af 500 ftz flash, I need some advice on settings for my camera with this flash, I want to get the best out of it, IM going to shoot tomorrow at the third birthday of my child, any help would be appreciate it

04-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would set to manual mode shutter to 1/150th and let camera sort out exposure. The 500ftz has lots of power
04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash can do almost everything automatically with the *ist DS. You should be able to put it on the camera and slide the power switch to the right. The flash's LCD display should say TTL at the upper left. If it doesn't, press the mode switch to make it cycle through the modes until TTL comes up. Just to the right of TTL, it should say "A. ZOOM". If it doesn't say that, press the zoom button to cycle through all the zoom modes until you get to "A. ZOOM". Now if you are using the DA 18-55mm zoom that came with the camera, the flash will adjust its coverage to match the lens.

Some issues: The flash predates your camera by about 12 years so it will display the focal length in film terms, showing 24 to 85mm. Just ignore it, the camera is handling the conversion for you. Also, the camera manual suggests using an ISO of 200 or 400. The flash manual says it works up to ISO 1600 but the camera metering might be wrong if you go that high.

If you have no experience with this combination, set the camera to P mode, use the DA 18-55mm lens and let the camera figure out everything. You can swivel or tilt the flash head to bounce the light off a light-colored wall or ceiling for a less direct flash. I would set ISO to 400. Pentax cameras and flashes often have trouble using Auto ISO, so avoid that.

If you have some time to practice, you may be able to improve on the camera's choice for settings. You can change Flash Exposure Compensation to adjust how much contribution the flash makes to a shot. That will help if the photos are completely black except for pale white faces caught in the flash explosion. In the [Rec. Mode] menu, go to the [Flash Exp. Comp.] line. You can choose to add or subtract from the flash power from -2.0 to +1.0 Ev. You can choose another mode, like M mode as suggested above. That is good for adjusting each parameter (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) to your choice, letting the flash power add to the photo.
04-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks a lot for the help, this forum is really helpful, the best