Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K5 Connection to PC

I have been trying to setup tethered shooting with my K5 from my new Samsung ATIV PC PRO 700T but for some reason I can never get either my tablet or my laptop to read the K5. They are both running windows 8, all have updated drivers for everything, but I always get the "USB device not recognized. I have purchased a new USB cable to ensure it is not that and the K5 has the updated firm ware. In reality I am just trying to use my 700T to view the images after I take each of them like a field monitor, i dont need to control the camera from the tablet. I am thinking about going to see if I can find a HDMI cable that can connect between each of them but am unsure if the tablet's HDMI port will accept HDMI in.

In ideas or input would be great

04-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In sequence how I would approach the problem:
  1. Can you download images using the cable or does that also fail? If so, find somebody with a Windows 7 or Linux or Mac machine and try it; your port on the camera might be faulty.
  2. Did you install software for the tethering? Which one? Or do you expect Windows to be able to do it
  3. Assuming PKTether, have you contacted the developers to check if their software is compatible with Windows 8?
04-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I will have to see who I know that has windows 7. I have downloaded both PKT and the Pentax software and none have worked for me.
04-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure that the USB connection setting in the camera (Setup menu) is set to MSC and not PTP.

Essentially the camera will show up as an external removable hard drive in explorer when connected via USB. You can view the images in explorer as JPG or if you download the DNG codec from Adobe you can view the RAW files. A third party program such as FastStone can be much better and faster to preview the images.

If you do not see the camera as a drive, then there something wrong in the cable or USB ports (computer and/or camera).

The HDMI ports on computers and tablets are output only and will not accept video signal from the camera. You can use an external monitor/TV with HDMI inputs and connect it to the camera to replicate the camera's LCD display at 1080 resolution. Works very well in a studio/indoors environment but it cumbersome outdoors.

04-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
This has got to be a windows 8 problem since both my laptop and tablet are doing the same thing. When I get the error I go into device manager and the flag is not being shown under USB devices at it normally would, it creates another "Other devices" drop down. I have seen a few other people post about this but no answers. I have tried connecting the camera as both PTP and MSC just to see if for some strange reason PTP woudl work and nothing. It does not come up as a drive, SD card nada.
04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sig0431 Quote
This has got to be a windows 8 problem since both my laptop and tablet are doing the same thing. When I get the error I go into device manager and the flag is not being shown under USB devices at it normally would, it creates another "Other devices" drop down. I have seen a few other people post about this but no answers. I have tried connecting the camera as both PTP and MSC just to see if for some strange reason PTP woudl work and nothing. It does not come up as a drive, SD card nada.
I tried both the Pentax K-7 and the Q on a Surface tablet (Windows 8 RT) USB port and both worked fine. I could see them as removable drives, and browse the image files.

Have you checked the BIOS setting for the USB ports? Can you use other storage devices on these ports (e.g. an external hard drive, card reader, USB thumb drive, etc.) and see the files?
04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes I can plug in a hard drive or thumb drive and they work fine. I am wondering if I should reinstall the firmware on my K5
04-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
here is another thing that I have going on that you all may be able to help me with. I am not sure if the camera is supposed to do this or maybe by telling you all this we may find my camera is messed up. On the k5 if I preview a image i took, if i move my camera it acts like it has a motion sensor and turns off the preview and goes into shooting mode on it's own. I have not researched this yet but if it is supposed to do that I wish I could turn it off!!

04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sig0431 Quote
yes I can plug in a hard drive or thumb drive and they work fine. I am wondering if I should reinstall the firmware on my K5
If you can use the USB ports with other devices then you computer is fine.

If you can use your card from the camera with a card reader and see the files, then the card is properly formatted and working properly.

Assuming that the USB cable is OK, then the remaining possibility is either the USB connector on the camera, or the camera itself.