Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
MX Servicing

A word of warning about servicing, don't expect miracles!
I sent my MX and KX cameras off to Harrow technical for servicing,along with the MX I sent a brand new Focusing screen to replace the old one as I wanted the Camera to be as good as it could be. Almost a month later I got both cameras back, the KX was fine but the MX (with new screen fitted ) was not, the new screen was covered with black residue from the old seals, to say I was disappointed is an understatement, the new screen cost 35 servicing around 60 and the viewfinder was as bad as previously. I could have sent it back at more cost and more time wasted but I tried to clean it, not good, the stuff would not shift, I washed it, tried all the tricks and eventually used Alcohol which cleaned the screen but that left it cloudy and ruined (that is why I sent it off in the first place). Harrow did send another old screen (I had originally asked for the old screen to be returned with the cameras - it wasn't) but this one is marked too. Robin explained that probably being shaken up in the post caused more seal material to land on the screen but really it is a pointless exercise if the result is not a clean camera!
If I do work that is not satisfactory I do not return it to the customer until I am satisfied with the result, irrespective of time or cost, it is my reputation that is important. I make and restore musical instruments as a job.
I know, in any job things are not always straightforward, stuff happens, but I will not use them again. Please be aware, perhaps my expectations were unrealistic and I am sure that they do good work, but not for me.
Bill

04-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

That's disappointing to hear, up until now I'd only heard good things about them.

So what are they saying to you now, are they going to sort this out for you at their cost?
04-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
mx servicing

I know, me too! comments like "as good as new" sprang to mind,just my luck.
No, that seemed to be it , kind of oh well it happens sometimes, bit fed up of it all really,I didn't mind it taking so long had it been a good job, but all the costs mount up and the old mx has cost about 160 now,hardly worth spending more on it. MX screens are just about extinct now,I bought an LX SA21 screen on ebay and will try it . Should maybe have stuck with digital but I like real photographs
I have been using the KX with black and white film in the workshop in really low light,getting meter needles ok so will have film developed this week to test results!
Regards
Bill