Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For what you are wanting to do, I would suggest skipping out on the DA* 16-50. While a good lense, the price is very high, and IQ won't be quite as good as it would be if you are using primes. If you're doing any kind of portrait, landscape, street or even macro work, I'd suggest one of the Sigma 50, 70, or 105mm f/2.8 Macro lense for Pentax K. I personally am getting the Sigma 50mm macro, it is less than $300. Very fast for doing landscapes, I'd say it's plenty fast enough for portraits and street photography as well. Might be a tad slow for macro work, but we'll see. It is a 1:1 lense, which would be great for any macro work if you plan to do it, but if you're really looking to save money, I'd agree with just about everyone else, just get an old M-series lense. I personally have an M-mount lense, it's actually a Sigma 21-35mm f/3.5 which I find is plenty fast enough, and I love it for landscapes. If you can get a hold of one of these (prefably the older one as an auto focus version was also released) I'd get it. Another great walk-a-round lense is the Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5 which will cover ALMOST everything, on the APS-c format, both lenses would be roughly 31-52mm and 42-450, as they are made for full format cameras. The Sigma is also intended for full frame cameras, so the 50mm is really about a 75mm. Unless you are buying Pentax DA lenses (which are specifically designed around the APS-c system) a general rule of thumb is take the focal length and multiply it by 1.5 and that will give you a rather accurate estimate as to what your focal length will be. Remember the bigger the focal length for FF the bigger the zoom is on APS-c.

04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We are so good at helping people spend money.

If you have the 18-135, it will do until you get a Tammy 17-50, in the wide end. The 18-135 is strong enough in the wide end, but maybe not fast enough, but that can wait.
If I were you, I'd look at a Tamron 90 macro. Half the cost of 100 macro if you're on a budget. I picked mine up for $250 second hand.
The again, trying to maximize value while taking care of your wallet, the 35 2.4 is a no brainer as is the DA 50 1.8.

That's 3 great lenses including one of the best Macro lenses you can buy for $900 new.

After that, everything is a lot more money. But that's a great working kit.
The continuation of that list would be
Sigma 8-16 (scratch this off the list if you don't do Ultra Wide, the 18mm on the 18-135 is good for most people.)
DA 21
DA 70
And then your choice of telephoto, 200 or 300mm, depending on your shooting preference. People say the 135 isn't long enough, but 135 is the equivalent of 200mm FF. It's plenty long enough for most people. If you have telephoto needs, the Pentax 55-300 seems to be the most recommended on the forum, but I use an old Sigma 70-300 for close in work and they can be had for $100 used. And of course my A-400 is my favourite lens at the moment, but that's getting all esoteric.
I'm trying to decide if the 18-135 is the right lens. The 18-55 is much less expensive. From a wide angle perspective are they both the same?
Oh, I have had a decent camera since got a Nikon for graduation............1980!!!!! Time to jump back in!
04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ronSJC Quote
I'm trying to decide if the 18-135 is the right lens. The 18-55 is much less expensive. From a wide angle perspective are they both the same?
Oh, I have had a decent camera since got a Nikon for graduation............1980!!!!! Time to jump back in!
From a wide angle perspective they are the same, from my experience the 18-135 is vastly sharper.
04-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #19

I was hoping to get away as inexpensively as possible, but then I wouldn't want to spend money on even an inexpensive lens I wouldn't use later. Sounds like the 18-135 is the way to go.
Looking forward to purchasing the camera and lens.

04-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronSJC Quote
I was hoping to get away as inexpensively as possible, but then I wouldn't want to spend money on even an inexpensive lens I wouldn't use later. Sounds like the 18-135 is the way to go.
Looking forward to purchasing the camera and lens.
With the shelf full of lenses we have, the 18-135 is usually the first out the door. Especially if you're hand holding most of your shots... Sharper is better if you're on a tripod. 90% of my candid shots are not on a tripod, so any additional sharpness would be wasted. The 18-135 has sharpness that will make the most of any hand held situation. Once you start talking tripod... then it's mildly possible you might have some issues. Unless you shoot posters taped to brick walls though, it's highly unlikely.
04-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #21

Original Poster
Hello all!!! So here is my newly aquired collection of lenses, altho i would like your 2 cents on the 15mm limited vs the 12-24mm from Pentax.

I got - 18-135WR Kit lens
50mm SMC-M f2 (got it for sooooo cheap...)
50mm SMC-M f1.7 (got it for soooooo cheap... thus why i got 2x 50mm).... maybe a little LBA lol.
55-300mm DA (not L)

Now looking for a wide angle as what i shoot is mostly tripod/landscape and i was wonderwing which of the 2 is favorable from the point of view of all of you.
04-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
Yos
Veteran Member

Have a look at this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html

And https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/103557-tamron-10-24mm-club.html

And DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

I have tried the 15mm Ltd but for me I really like to be able to shoot ultra wide so I picked up the Tamron 10-24mm to be able to cover that need. And the Tamron was within my budget compare to 15mm Ltd, Pentax 12-24mm or any other ultra wide angel lens.
There is plenty people here that love the 15mm and I am sure they will have a lot of argument why you should pick up that lens.
If I win the lottery I might pick up the 15mm Ltd but for now I am happy using my Tamron 10-24mm

04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens club threads are a good idea. Wide angle shots work best if they are composed well. From looking at a lot of samples, I decided early on that I didn't have the eye for extreme wide angle. Look at a lot of shots at the widest end for that lens and see if they really work, and if you are likely to take those shots. (I bought the DA 16-45/4. It gets as wide as I want and I can zoom away from that.)

The Pentax choices are fairly close in sharpness and max aperture (except for the DA 14/2.8). Size, flare resistance and zoom vs. prime are the major considerations.
04-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

Original Poster
Hmm thanks after much reading it im thinking of going toward the pentax 12-24.... seems nice since at 15 it shoudnt show much vignetting/distortion and would do the job the
15ltd does... but i would be able to have more "options" due to the zoom.
This was a lot of help ! Thanks a lot!