Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5 lens dillema...

Greetings everyone,

My first post here. After few years of using Nikons ( D70 D60 D3000)I have decided to go different direction and join Pentax forum and to purchase Pentax K5.
Decision about the camera has been made already. What bothers me is lens I'm going to use? After spending few weeks of reading and digesting everyone's opinion about the lens I still haven't decided, therefore I need help and advice.

Question, what will be the best all around lens?
Purpose; indoors shots, portraits, urban, some landscape, backpacking. Bit of everything really. I could do with fast, quiet and sharp lens. Weight and size doesn't really matter.
Should I consider 28-75 Tamron or maybe something more wide angle? I know it doesn't cover 15-300mm range but seems to be getting great reviews but I'm nowhere near the decision :/

Thanks for your input

04-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

28mm on APS-C provides the same angle of view as 42mm on a 24x36 camera of the film age. At that time 35-42mm was the preferred length of the fixed lenses p&s cameras, and not considered as wide angle. With APS-C, wide angle means 20mm or less.

So, for a one-size-fits-all lens I would not consider any lens starting higher than 19mm.
Lenses starting at 18-20mm and going far into tele range are either limited in IQ, or very expensive (or both). A possible compromise would be to limit the tele range and crop, which often will make sense with a 16MP body. So I would look for a lens which offers very good resolution and contrast also in the tele range.

I don't guide you to a special lens, as you said you are reading loads of reviews anyway.
04-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You are asking too much of one lens. I'd recommend startnig with the 18-135, using it for a while and then perhaps adding another lens if you find the 18-135 is lacking.
04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You are asking too much of one lens. I'd recommend startnig with the 18-135, using it for a while and then perhaps adding another lens if you find the 18-135 is lacking.
I agree with you. The OP sounds like a friend who was hunting for a house to purchase. He wanted an inexpensive small house in a quiet neighborhood, little to no maintenance needed , with room for all his stuff, and close to both the freeway and airport. He had to good graces to laugh at himself.

04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already have a database of focal lengths you use, attached to all your Nikon photos. That should give you an idea of whether the 28-75 range is useful and where you might supplement it.
04-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for replies. I will keep searching and soon will make my mind up. Well phrased about the small house from Jim, at least there are people that can dream , thanks for such a rich metaphor.
04-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree here ... the WR of this lens will allow you to do more with your K-5 in wet and/or dusty environments ... something I would not do with a non-WR lens ... J