Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

question re: CA and camera correction

Hello. I have a white K-2000 (my stormtrooper) and I really need a normal zoom at the wide end. I've been reading reviews on the DA* 16-50mm and Sigma, Tamron equivalents. My question is related to chromatic aberration issues, which every review has said is particularly bad in the Pentax lens. As well, perhaps it's also time for me to upgrade my body. I'm liking the K-5 II and K-30 (nice distortion correction also) and see that the K-30 has CA adjustment built in.

1. Does the K-5 II also have CA correction and distortion correction built in?
2. The K-5 II was released after the K-30, so doesn't that mean it has a few more "features" that are better than its sibling?
3. Which body would be a better investment for me (amateur)?
4. Finally, which zoom lens in the above category would you recommend, keeping an eye on the lower-light scenarios (Tacoma,WA area; always cloudy & gray)

Thanks for any input!
Tim

04-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Yes
2. No, the internal hardware, save for the AF module, is the same as that of the K-5. So the K-5 II has worse video, live view, CDAF, playback, etc. compared to the K-30. But it still has better IQ thanks to its 14-bit raw, and the continuous buffer is bigger.
3. The K-30 would be a great upgrade coming from the K2000, allowing you to spend more on lenses.
4. Get the Sigma 17-50mm and a prime, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
4. Get the Sigma 17-50mm and a prime, IMO.
In-camera CA correction won't work for non-Pentax lenses (Pentax DA series and the three FA limited lenses only). Some software can do it for you on non-Pentax or older lenses. Adobe has a profile for the Sigma so Lightroom and Photoshop can automatically remove CA or correct for distortion. I'm not sure whether that only applies to RAW files or not.
04-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In-camera CA correction won't work for non-Pentax lenses (Pentax DA series and the three FA limited lenses only). Some software can do it for you on non-Pentax or older lenses. Adobe has a profile for the Sigma so Lightroom and Photoshop can automatically remove CA or correct for distortion. I'm not sure whether that only applies to RAW files or not.
The CA correction isn't very effective, though. However, you may miss the distortion correction with third-party lenses. It's of course a non-issue if you have photoshop/lightroom and are shooting in RAW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the input!