Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

ME Winder II Battery lock broken.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I have a Pentax Winder ME II with a broken battery lock. I was wondering if some one here had the same problem and fixed it some how.

Thanks in advance.

-Khan

04-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by khan Quote
Hello,

I have a Pentax Winder ME II with a broken battery lock. I was wondering if some one here had the same problem and fixed it some how.

Thanks in advance.

-Khan
Since the AA batteries last a long time in that winder, I would suggest using black duct tape (sticky tape with embedded fiber). Mine wasn't borken, but the case easily popped open. The tape fixed the problem without making my camera totally ugly.
04-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Do you then change the duct tape each time changing batteries?
I have seen one example where Velcro was used to keep it in place. I would use tape or velcro until I can find some spare or manage to fix that plastic lock.
04-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would use tape or velcro
Sounds like a good plan, I'm sure how easy it is to fix those plastic locks in reality.

04-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broken battery door lock on the ME and MX Winders is a common problem. I don't recall a fix other than the tape solutution. At one time ten years ago I had several replacement doors. They were to replace lost doors, not to fix the broken little tab the locking screw locks into.
04-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Do you then change the duct tape each time changing batteries?
I have seen one example where Velcro was used to keep it in place. I would use tape or velcro until I can find some spare or manage to fix that plastic lock.
Whatever floats your boat, as the saying goes.

Duct tape is generally sticky enough to re-use once, but it would probably be best to replace it with each battery change. Another saying is 'your mileage may vary', but a set of good alkaline AA batteries seem to last a LONG time in my winder.
04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Get a new winder? You can find them for pretty good prices on eBay.

04-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Get a new winder? You can find them for pretty good prices on eBay.
By now they are +/- 30 years old. If you find one that works, doesn't have sticky seals (there is a small foam patch inside the mouth of the winder) and good contacts you are lucky. It is a shame these doors break so easily.

A little GooGone helps remove the tape residue between applications. I once broke the battery door of a brand new Minlta PnS and got ten years use out of it with vinyl electrician's tape (That camera turned up in a junk-drawer clean out last weekend )

Last edited by monochrome; 04-15-2013 at 05:35 PM.
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
By now they are +/- 30 years old. If you find one that works, doesn't have sticky seals (there is a small foam patch inside the mouth of the winder) and good contacts you are lucky. It is a shame these doors break so easily.

A little GooGone helps remove the tape residue between applications. I once broke the battery door of a brand new Monlta PnS and got ten years use out of it with vinyl electrician's tape (That camera turned up in a junk-drawer clean out last weekend )
Yep, is hard, that's true ... but if all the parts are in place and not broken, they can be easily cleaned.
The cool part is that even if the electronic parts are not working, is easy to replace them - especially when you have a donor winder with a door broken .
04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yep, is hard, that's true ... but if all the parts are in place and not broken, they can be easily cleaned.
The cool part is that even if the electronic parts are not working, is easy to replace them - especially when you have a donor winder with a door broken .
FWIW, I just won a silver MX, MX Winder and M50/1.7 in the original three boxes for ... wait for it ... $60. I was the only bidder. Go figure - the Pentax Film Camera Gods were smiling on me.
04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, I just won a silver MX, MX Winder and M50/1.7 in the original three boxes for ... wait for it ... $60. I was the only bidder. Go figure - the Pentax Film Camera Gods were smiling on me.
WOW ... lucky you ... good think I stayed away from eBay (if it was there) or else it would of been a war going on ...
04-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your input. I have a final plan now. Use this Winder with duct tape (received a ME Super SE today in superb condition from a forum member Innivus, winder works perfectly on it). Have ordered another winder for £20, so if that one works then it can stay as it is or I will use it as a donor for spare parts . Replacement door I did found at one place but price was £12+shipping.

Congrats monochrome for your steal deal. I can't be that lucky, as being in Denmark doesn't help much because most of the sellers are either not shipping here or I have to worry about paying import duties.

You guys are great, as I also got answers to questions which were just in my mind e.g what would I do with dirty tape residue, how long would a AA battery last before I fiddle with tape again as I never used winder before and to get another cheap one in whatever condition as long as part I need is working.
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently on eBay: Pentax Winder Me 2 | eBay