Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long Exposure

I have a Kr and am looking to try to accomplish a long exposure shot.
I have been reading the manual and have not found out how to do one.
Please let me know the proper setup procedures to follow.

Thank you.

04-14-2013, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #2

Tripod is your best friend. If you want a very long exposure put your camera in bulb mode with lowest ISO and Noise Reduction on.
Use a remote control to tap the shutter once. wait (x amount of time you want the exposure) and press it again. You need to wait
twice the exposure time for noise reduction to do its work! Good luck (look trhough viewfinder for the time left before you can pick up the camera)
04-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

"Long exposure" refers to a long shutter time. The manual should cover how to achieve long shutter times.
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Oups misinterpreted.
Though he meant like longer than the shutter he could adjust with the dials.

04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I assume you are doing a night shot: Turn your ISO down to 100 to make the sensor less sensitive to light, put your aperture at f16 to restrict how much light comes in (and make awesome starbursts and light trails), this will give you a long shutter speed. Make sure you put the camera on a tripod/table/anything and use your time delay, if you touch the camera while it is shooting... you'll ruin the image. I set my camera to 2 sec timer, on the direction pad, you press the "up" button to get to that setting.

If it is a day time shot: Do the above, but you need filters.

Also, as mentioned, the K-r long exposure, noise reduction should be on. I like the feature for shooting jpg images. Just be aware it will take awhile for the camera to process the image (a few seconds, but it does wonders). You can access this feature in the menus.

Furthermore, the manual probably won't give you any information, that's what we're all here for!
04-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Man, why does everyone want to crank the aperture down at night? That's just creeping into bad quality territory.

Your best friend is to get an infrared remote, then you can just stabilize your tripod on a table or desktop, disable shake reduction, then just snap at whatever you have the camera set for in tv mode. If you want to go past 30 seconds, go into bulb mode and do the same. If you can't do Bulb mode (no remote) then you can get away with using the shutter delay.

If you're shooting cityscapes/landscapes, I'd keep the aperture around the f/8 to the f/11 area. Past that, and you're going beyond the sweet spot of the lens and your IQ will be degraded. If you want to avoid starbursts, you can even shoot wide open - your camera is going to be stabilized so the only worry you have is how bad your lens is for IQ wide open.

Don't be afraid to up the aperture a bit as well, you should get decent quality upwards to ISO 800 before things get too noisy. Longer doesn't always mean better, unless you're shooting in very, very dark conditions or are deliberately going for star trails/light painting/traffic trails/etc.
04-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Man, why does everyone want to crank the aperture down at night? That's just creeping into bad quality territory.

...unless you're... deliberately going for star trails/light painting/traffic trails/etc.
It might be creeping into that territory, but it's not in there for slow lenses. I find next to no difference with the 55-300 and 18-135 between f11 and f16. The nice part is both lenses image quality improves across the whole frame, with a slight drop in centre. I do not go higher though due to the laws regarding diffraction and all that jazz.

On the primes I find it a whole different story, f11 becomes my upper limit. I guess that comes from the Limiteds being designed to be shot open, not closed.