Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

RAW Thumbnail viewer in Windows 8

Hello, the mother board of my old desktop died on me, so I acquired a new HP desktop which was packed with Windows 8. But now with the new desktop, I can not view RAW file thumbnail any more. I am not very good in computer stuffs, so may be there is something I need to install but I do not know. Anybody please help me on this.Thanks

04-16-2013, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I acquired a new HP desktop which was packed with Windows 8
My condolences.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/2017...aw-format.html

An update that adds Microsoft Camera Codec Pack support to Windows 8 and Windows RT is available
04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Parallax
04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never before realized there WAS a RAW image viewer for the core Windows OS. I've been using Picasa for this purpose. Since it seems to have existed in XP and now Win8, I went looking for the 64bit Win7 - SP1 code. I did find this version of the Camera Codec, but unfortunately it did not allow the native Win7 photo previewer to view my RAW files .... looking at the fine print, it says that only the PEF format is supported for Pentax. I save my RAW images as DNG files.

Maybe I am just doing something wrong, but I guess I will leave well enough alone and let Picasa be the default viewer for my RAW (DNG) images.

04-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I got mine from Adobe. It could be this one:

Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0

If you have a lot of files in one folder, don't bother. Accessing that folder will bring your system to its knees while the codec tries to make thumbnails. It makes moving stuff around tedious.