Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Tripod for K-5 under 200$

Hello forum!
I've been trying to find a nice tripod to place my K-5 and I can't decide which tripod
would be better under the 200$ cost cap.
I've seen the Mefoto Travel tripod ( the 147$ and 189$ version) and some Manfrottos, the 239 series.
I'm concern about the ball head on the Mefoto's..some argue that the head won't
stand the weight of a DSLR on portrait mode and dust could become a problem.
I didn't find anything related to that for the Manfrottos.

I'll appreciate any comments on this that could help me pick a good one.
I'm looking for something below, let say 150$ if possible and not too heavy to put
my K-5 on top of that without worrying about the ball head or dust. I'm taking that gear for a short stay in the desert.
About the height...1.4m is good enough.
Thank you in advance!

04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really ought to watch Kijiji. I just picked up a Manfrotto 055 XB with 804RC2 head for $200. That retails at $327 (tax incl) at Henry's. The tripod was listed since February!

London digital cameras & camcorders for sale - Free London Classifieds at Kijiji

** Edit ** I see a 190 XB in St. Thomas... I've carried that on airplanes in the past, and its plenty sturdy enough provided you're not shooting with long lenses on uneven terrain or anything crazy like that.

Last edited by mattt; 04-17-2013 at 06:25 PM.
04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would recommend anything from Vanguard. Specifically for what you have said, I would say:

Vanguard Alta+ 264 w/Ball Head

The ball head is phenomenal for the money and Vanguard tripods are solid, packed full of features, and offer lifetime warranty.

Last edited by calculator01; 04-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had a Manfrotto 055B tripod since the early 1980's. I bought it with an 0168 ball head (hex plates) on the recommendation of Brian Clarkson. I just replaced a hex plate because the cork wore out. I use it with my K10d with grip, M 400/5.6, AFA 1.7X. It holds the camera steady. It always has. It holds it securely at any angle I set it to.

It is good for my health to cart the weight around with me, too.

04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought my head new, and saved money by buying the legs second hand. Lots of very good quality aluminium legs on second hand market, due to carbon fibre upgraders. Of course, if you're not into mountain climbing, then the weight difference is no big deal.
04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had a pretty good experience with Slik 340 BH:

Slik Pro 340 BH 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-200DQ Ballhead - 613344

It looks similar to the Vanguard model noted just above, and the Vanguard specs out just a little more favorably, though for a few dollars and a little weight more also. I've only had the Slik, so nothing to compare it to. The Slik is easy to hike with and pack in a regular suitcase.

My experience with the ball head has been good, but for the Slik model, look at the 3rd customer review down. The individual noted some issues with the ball head that might help with your decision. The reviewer's experiences have not matched mine, however. I don't know about the effects of dust.

Interestingly, after about two years with this Slik, I'm thinking that if there was one thing I might like that would be different, it would be the three section legs vs. the four section legs I have now. The 4 section legs do pack shorter, but I'm thinking I have a little more spare room and it would be nice to have only two clamps per leg rather than three for the set up. But that is not a major thing. Hope this helps. I believe you may have a good number of choices in the $150 range. However, if you could gain some assurance that the extra cost increment to $200 would give you a real benefit, my guidance would be to make that investment.
04-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While I'm thinking of it, I wish Manfrotto 190XPROB had been available when i bought my tripod.
Macros made possible!
04-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbruzzone Quote
Hello forum!
I've been trying to find a nice tripod to place my K-5 and I can't decide which tripod
would be better under the 200$ cost cap.
I've seen the Mefoto Travel tripod ( the 147$ and 189$ version) and some Manfrottos, the 239 series.
I'm concern about the ball head on the Mefoto's..some argue that the head won't
stand the weight of a DSLR on portrait mode and dust could become a problem.
I didn't find anything related to that for the Manfrottos.

I'll appreciate any comments on this that could help me pick a good one.
I'm looking for something below, let say 150$ if possible and not too heavy to put
my K-5 on top of that without worrying about the ball head or dust. I'm taking that gear for a short stay in the desert.
About the height...1.4m is good enough.
Thank you in advance!
You might want to check if Amazon Europe has this Amazon.com: Dolica ZX600B300 Proline ZX Series 60-Inch Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head: Camera & Photo

04-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I recently purchased a convertible Benro Travel Angel like this one: New Benro A2682TB1 Aluminium Travel Tripod Monopod Combo | eBay
The B1 ball head that comes with this unit is big and locks solid.
The tripod converts to a monopod as well.
The tripod is a little heavier than I expected but it makes it very sturdy.
The quality seems very good for the price.
04-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #10

I picked up a Slik U212 over 30 years ago for under $100. I have packed it all over the US and Canada, and used it to take thousands of pictures.

I see B&H has them for $144.95, free shipping. A great tripod, sturdy, stable, not too heavy, and it speaks to the quality that it is still in production.

So there you go.

A decent, quality tripod for well under $200.
04-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

I was in your position a couple months ago, and decided on a Manfrotto 190xprob with 496rc2 ballhead. It's the first tripod I've ever used so I don't have anything to compare it with, but I love it. By the first day I was already trekking through waterfalls, and it has proved to be very reliable so far. With a little digging you might be able to find the combo for under $200. If you have amazon prime you'll also save a lot of money on shipping.

Manfrotto 190xprob legs - Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod; manu. price = $169.88: Camera & Photo

Manfrotto ballhead - Amazon.com: Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2; manu. price = $89.88: Camera & Photo
04-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I think I will be getting a manfrotto 190 XB or 190XDB with the 804RC2 basic pan/tilt head.
The price would be under 200$ I hope thanks to a discount from the seller.
Unfortunately, I need to get this as quick as possible and focus on other things before the trip.
I'll get a manfrotto bela V shoulder bag too to carry the camera, since the Domke F-6, although I like it a lot, doesn't
have padding on the sides and is more than twice the price. There is a storm building up here in London ON, getting ready for some shots.
04-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #13

Great suggestions in this thread, I'm saving a bookmark for later this year when I might be putting a tripod on my xmas list
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #14

A late suggestion, but I use this:

Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Electronics

I can't comment on how it would be in the desert, but I use this all over the place and love it. A cheaper alternative than what you're looking at that might work for you.
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason401 Quote
A late suggestion, but I use this:

Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Electronics

I can't comment on how it would be in the desert, but I use this all over the place and love it. A cheaper alternative than what you're looking at that might work for you.
Thank you Jason401 for your suggestion. I've just received the manfrotto 190XB with 804RC2 head. It was more expensive that your suggestion, but it was under 175$ tax included. I haven't tried it yet with the camera, just after my final (tomorrow) I will dedicate some time to look at it in detail.
Thank you all for your comments!