Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow write time

I have asked this before but forgotten the answer! I have done a search but no luck. OK. I am have problems with the write speed on slow exposures. My friends (with their Cannons are getting instant feed back). Last night taking lightning shots and the others were clicking away but I had to wait forever to get another shot. Which of course in when the sky lit up. I tried turning of t the slow shutter speed NR and the ISO noise reduction . but no luck. I was shooting in RAW so would Jpg be the better option. I am using the K7 with the Extreme Pro 45mb San Disk. I might have just answered my own question as I have just put the setting onto jpg and held the camera in the wardrobe for about 20 seconds on Bulb and I got pretty instant review. Would still like any thoughts on this because it is a pain in the butt when my cameral club friends are getting ten shots to my one!
I have attached one I took last night and have used the Topaz Denoise to clean it up a little. Oops wrong pic, but the noise was removed, just a tad blurry. (not sure how to remove it)

Also while I am here. I notice that when using the in built flash I can shoot on any shutter speed, but if I use the hotshoe flash I am limited to about 180. Any answers to this?
Thanks in advance.
trish

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by trishytee; 04-17-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: wrong picture
04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax is pretty slow with respect to instant review and flushing the buffer. The K-30 is a bit faster, but still not up there. Hopefully the next DSLR will address this issue!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Also while I am here. I notice that when using the in built flash I can shoot on any shutter speed, but if I use the hotshoe flash I am limited to about 180. Any answers to this?
With the built-in flash, you should not be able to go faster than 1/180s as it does not support HSS. So I'm a bit confused here.
Which external flash do you have? And does this problem occur with any lens or specific ones? Any specific mode (M, Tv, ...) or all?
04-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
This doesn't have anything to do with the noise reduction cycle thing going on in the camera after long exposures, does it?

04-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Deselect dark frame on long exposures. Pentax has the dark frame option on to help with long exposure noise meaning that it takes another shot with the shutter closed and uses it to mask out noise and hot pixels. It's a nice function but it takes time.
04-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Pentax has the dark frame option
That's the very chappy, couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me, is that why the OP slow problems I wonder?
04-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm sure, as Canon and Nikon don't provide that option in most cameras.
04-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

In the custom menu, page 3, #18, you can disable Slow Shutter Speed NR or something like that. Some NR programs allow you to do this step manually - that is, take one of your own dark frames, then the software subtracts it from the images you take later. I don't know which software or how.

Another suggestion is to take more shots at 30 seconds shutter speed, avoiding the dark frame curse. I use the K-7's interval timer so I don't have to press the shutter button every 30 seconds.

My full lightning setup is to set the focus in the daytime at something a couple of miles away. Then I can use many different apertures without concern for depth of field. I like f8. I plug in an Eye-fi card set up to send out JPG files only. The camera shoots RAW+JPG. My frame is mostly sky so the files have few details and are therefore very small. I set the exposure with test shots, looking for a shutter speed between 6 and 15 seconds. Then I set up the interval timer for 99 shots with a 1 second interval and go inside. I can see the photos on a laptop when the card sends them out. I end up with a lot of photos to delete and some keepers.

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Thanks in advance.
trish
That doesn't happen with my K-7. If I go to M mode, set shutter speed faster than 1/180, and pop up the flash, the speed instantly drops to 1/180 and can't be set higher. A lot of people would like to know your trick.