Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
They may not let you bring a camera with a detachable lens like some venues.
What? Why would they not let you take a DSLR in? That makes no sense. And what are you supposed to do with it when they stop you at the door? It's not like the airport where you can just let them confiscate and throw out your bottled water and not feel too bad about it.

Seriously, lots of people take cameras into sporting events. It's almost impossible not to with a camera built into nearly every cell phone. Compact cameras can have a lot more zoom than a DSLR, if they're worried that someone's taking pics of the players or whatever. I don't see the reasoning to single out one kind of camera based on a characteristic that is unrelated to, well, anything.

04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
What? Why would they not let you take a DSLR in? That makes no sense. And what are you supposed to do with it when they stop you at the door? It's not like the airport where you can just let them confiscate and throw out your bottled water and not feel too bad about it.

Seriously, lots of people take cameras into sporting events. It's almost impossible not to with a camera built into nearly every cell phone. Compact cameras can have a lot more zoom than a DSLR, if they're worried that someone's taking pics of the players or whatever. I don't see the reasoning to single out one kind of camera based on a characteristic that is unrelated to, well, anything.
Where ya been? This is standard practice, regardless if it makes little sense to you or others. Usually a smaller focal length lens will pass muster. But not always. The concern is twofold: 1. selling unauthorized shots that compete with licensed vendors; and 2. having a large lens (let's say a Bigma for example) getting in the personal space of other paying customers. Some venues have really tight seating.

M
04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rules can come from the venue, promoter or performer so it's always changing. And although it is nearly impossible to find photography restrictions when you buy the ticket, the thug hired by neck size trained security professional at the gate seems to know them extremely well.
04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Where ya been? This is standard practice, regardless if it makes little sense to you or others. Usually a smaller focal length lens will pass muster. But not always. The concern is twofold: 1. selling unauthorized shots that compete with licensed vendors; and 2. having a large lens (let's say a Bigma for example) getting in the personal space of other paying customers. Some venues have really tight seating.
I only just upgraded from a compact superzoom to a DSLR recently, so I never came across the rule previously.

I can understand not blocking other people's view. But the discriminating factor there is the SIZE of the camera+lens, not whether it detaches or not. If personal space and view is the goal, then it's a bad rule because it doesn't accomplish what it sets out to do. Besides, these same sports venues let people bring in giant handmade signs that occupy much more space than any lens ever could.

Competing with licensed vendors seems rather shaky too. They're not banning superzooms that can get closer to the action than most DSLR lenses can and can have megapixel count equivalent to detachable lens cameras, not to mention that banning based on the hypothetical quality of a picture you might take seems to be pretty questionable logic to begin with. Not to mention that you're not going to get as good a shot from the bleachers as the press-pass guys can down on the field (much closer and much better angle) no matter what camera & lens you've got.

After reading this thread I did some googling and found some stadiums allow detachable lenses up to a certain length, that makes better sense to me. If your lens is 12" long, then you're at risk to be blocking someone's view or accidentally clonking someone in the head. If you've got a little lens, you're not really any different from the guys with the compact cameras. Further, if your lens isn't huge then it's not long+fast and you're probably not competing with any of the press guys. Maybe that's important if you're in the first X rows but we could waive it for seats further out?

Perhaps the rules made more sense back when they were originally instituted, when the only people likely to bring an SLR were professional photographers? But in recent years the introduction and booming popularity of micro 4/3 and NEX cameras plus the continued adoption of low-end SLRs by ordinary people seems like they have undermined the conditions the rules were written for. Many of our friends & family have Canon Rebels, even if they don't know how to operate them outside of program mode, and if they went to the ballgame that's what they'd automatically reach for because that's their camera. It would never occur to them that this would be against any rules.

04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

As has already been posted, what you or I think makes sense doesn't really matter. Many professional sports venues prohibit large camera/lenses. When I shoot pro golf tournaments I usually have to shoot practice or pro-am rounds because only press pass holders are permitted to have cameras during tournament play at many, although not all, events. The same is true for many concerts and other pro sports. They can't control cell phones or small compacts but those do not compete with the pro shooters or make the noise of a DSLR. Your referenced super-zoom doesn't compete either despite the zoom range and megapixel count. They usually have a smaller sensor and resultant decrease in image quality but the major factor for sports is shutter lag. For shooting fast moving sports, you need the short lag of a DSLR. I have tried it both ways. The super just doesn't work.
04-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
70-200 will suffice, with some cropping. 300+ would still be ideal, though.

Other than buying a longer lens, I don't know what to say, other than focus on getting steady shots so they can be cropped reasonably later.
I agree that a 70-200/2.8 is the way to go in this case. Getting extremely close from a high angle only makes most hockey shots boring in my eyes, trust me, I've tried to like them.
QuoteOriginally posted by 18 mths Quote
Speaking of different lenses, do those of you who own them, are you pleased with the Sigmas?
My Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II is my workhorse for hockey, it also is starting to look like banged up workhorse on the finish.
See if he can get you a press pass. . .now that would be an experience you'd never forget, except for the bill for the lens you would just have to purchase.

M
That would be my advise too if shooting hockey is a real dream. Maybe ask them what they require for you to be down my the glass? I bet it's tough but I've heard about amateurs shooting NHL hockey even though Winter Classic probably is a tough one. As long as you can shoot at ice-level through the glass you can get great shots! Ice-level is the key to most hockey shots.

If it's not possible I can give the advice to use a good wider lens instead to capture the feeling of the arena and some overview shots instead as they often brings more emotion than a high angle of a couple of players.
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Scott Kelby posted a picture on his blog of what happened to another pro shooter's lens when a fast-moving puck hit it head-on while he was shooting through the little hole in the glass. Not much was left of the front of the lens housing and the front element was broken. Total loss of a $2000+ lens!

Back on topic, I don't shoot hockey but have had pretty good results with other sports, including sailboat races, with the 55-300, moderately higher ISO to keep shutter speed up and some cropping where the reach was insufficient. For hockey, you will want a shutter of 1/500 minimum, 1/1000 would be better.
Haha yeah, I've heard the stories too and once watching a NHL game on TV i saw a photographer catching a puck with the face through one of the holes! Luckily he wasn't badly injured but concussions seems to happen from time to time in the sports photography world.

I'm glad that most places, artists and teams have lifted the bans here in Sweden as they slowly shifted their views of photos and videos from "stolen copyrighted licenses" to "free advertising".
04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #22

I decided to check up on local policies here in Atlanta:

Turner Field (Baseball):
All cameras must be hand held and no longer than 5" in length. No tripods or monopods will be permitted. Hand-held video cameras and still cameras for personal use may be brought into the ballpark, provided no game action is recorded in accordance with Major League Baseball regulations. Please be courteous to those guests around you when taking pictures, the equipment may not obstruct the view of other guests. Camera cases must fit through the bag template and will be inspected prior to entrance into the ballpark.

Camera without lens is less than 5" in length, should be OK. No restriction on lenses.

Georgia Dome (Football)
The permitted use of still cameras and video cameras varies by event.
For NFL games, video cameras are prohibited.
For most events Small personal cameras are allowed.
Professional cameras and cameras with interchangeable lens are prohibited.
Lens must not exceed 6" and camera bag must not be larger than 8 ½ wide x 13" long x 5" deep.

The only place in town that tries to prohibit interchangeable lenses. Are there really non-interchangeable lenses out there longer than 6"?

Philips Arena (Basketball, Hockey, Concerts)
Still cameras (non-professional) are allowed at sporting events, including Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Dream games. The use of still cameras during concerts and events is determined by the artist / event; please contact Philips Arena for specific event policies: 404-878-3000.
Professional cameras and any audio and video recording devices are prohibited at all events.

Seems OK, it's not a professional camera, whatever that is.

Luckily, I have no interest in the Atlanta Falcons so it doesn't seem like I'll have any problems.

04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The only place in town that tries to prohibit interchangeable lenses. Are there really non-interchangeable lenses out there longer than 6"?
Well, if you glue a lens to your camera.

Luckily, I have no interest in the Atlanta Falcons so it doesn't seem like I'll have any problems.
That's a very vague description. Maybe bring a description where it says that your camera is a beginner, enthusiast or semi-pro model?
04-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turner Field (Baseball):
All cameras must be hand held and no longer than 5" in length. No tripods or monopods will be permitted. Hand-held video cameras and still cameras for personal use may be brought into the ballpark, provided no game action is recorded in accordance with Major League Baseball regulations. Please be courteous to those guests around you when taking pictures, the equipment may not obstruct the view of other guests. Camera cases must fit through the bag template and will be inspected prior to entrance into the ballpark.

Camera without lens is less than 5" in length, should be OK. No restriction on lenses.

Georgia Dome (Football)
Lens must not exceed 6" and camera bag must not be larger than 8 ½ wide x 13" long x 5" deep.

Still cameras (non-professional) are allowed at sporting events, including Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Dream games. The use of still cameras during concerts and events is determined by the artist / event; please contact Philips Arena for specific event policies: 404-878-3000.
Professional cameras and any audio and video recording devices are prohibited at all events.

In my experience, a "professional" camera can easily be interpreted as being a DSLR. Maybe with a kit lens you can slip by, anything chunkier and longer ( and security will look through the camera zoom and all) will be axed. Some Pentax users can get by with a 135mm M lens and slip a TC in their pocket. Or not.

If your DSLR records video it is even harder. I've seen dozens of people told to pocket their iPhones for video recording the Rolling Stones. You cannot hide those big LCD viewfinders in the dark.

M
04-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Turner Field (Baseball):

Georgia Dome (Football)

Unfortunately, security at Phillips has deemed ANY dSLR a "professional camera". So, you can take a dSLR to see the Braves if you have a lens <5in on it and that's about it in Atlanta.
04-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #26

If your DSLR records video it is even harder. I've seen dozens of people told to pocket their iPhones for video recording the Rolling Stones. You cannot hide those big LCD viewfinders in the dark.
Every digital camera and all but the cheapest cellphones are capable of recording video, not to mention actual video cameras A significant number of other devices can too, such as some music players. We really need a new set of rules that takes into account the times we live in.
04-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every digital camera and all but the cheapest cellphones are capable of recording video, not to mention actual video cameras A significant number of other devices can too, such as some music players. We really need a new set of rules that takes into account the times we live in.
Be careful what you wish for. The most logical "new rule" would be to ban all camera use of any kind.

M
04-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the rules will be at the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor but in Detroit at the Joe it's anything under 80mm. Since the 55-300 is not obnoxiously huge like the 70-200/2.8, you could probably hold the camera carefully as you pass through security and say, "Yeah, I know your limited to 80mm so I brought this." while you show them the 58mm (filter size) marking on the lens...

P.S. If you have a couple extra tickets and they have no restrictions, I'd be happy to bring both a 55-300 and a Sigma 70-200 for you to play with!
04-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
I'm not sure what the rules will be at the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor but in Detroit at the Joe it's anything under 80mm. Since the 55-300 is not obnoxiously huge like the 70-200/2.8, you could probably hold the camera carefully as you pass through security and say, "Yeah, I know your limited to 80mm so I brought this." while you show them the 58mm (filter size) marking on the lens...
Pentax Q + a 70/2.4 or 77/1.8 = Instant win!
04-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Pentax Q + a 70/2.4 or 77/1.8 = Instant win!
BRILLIANT!

..and in the meantime, I found the policy:

Professional cameras/lenses (lenses longer than 6”) are prohibited.

The 55-300mm is under 6" unless fully extended.