Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Urgen: Metz 58 af-1 Flash Bulb Replacement Instructions

My Metz 58 AF-1 fell out of my jacket pocket yesterday. It was in its case, but it hit the floor hard on its side. It popped the battery cover off, which I just put back on. I tested it out and it worked even did a short session with it in slave mode. Didn't notice any issues with it. So today I got it out to test a new diffuser I bought and it wouldn't test fire. It turned on just fine, but I would here the click for the test fire but it didn't fire and then the menu would lock up. I put it on my K-5 to see if that would work and nothing, would not fire, but the capacitor was discharging because it had to charge up again. So I looked through the flash and sure enough the bulb is cracked and broken into two. I ordered a replacement bulb from US Camera (uscamera.com) and it should arrive tomorrow. I have an indoor event to shoot tomorrow evening and I really need a flash to use, so this is kinda urgent. The problem is I don't actually know how to get the flash head open. I've already searched the internet for instructions or a blog post on how to do this and I haven't come up with anything except other threads like this asking the same question. If you know how to do this or have seen it done before I would sure appreciate some help. Thanks!

I also ordered a YN560-II flash today that will arrive tomorrow just in case I don't get this thing fixed.

Last edited by bgdisc; 04-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.
04-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
So no one here has ever successfully opened up the head of a metz 58 flash?
04-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
In all my years in photography, I can honestly say that I've never had to replace a flash bulb, so I can't help there.

But have you fired a quick email directly to Metz asking them the question, I've always found them to be a great company to work with.
03-13-2016, 04:51 AM   #4

So no one here has ever successfully opened up the head of a metz 58 flash?

I'm about do this. Anyone still interested? Shall I post details?
Jack

03-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Posting details and tips is always welcome, someone else may have the same problem in the future. I have never heard of this happening, but as a replacement is available, knowledge is probably restricted to dealers for safety reasons, the capacitor is dangerous if not discharged before working on the unit.
03-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #6

Please post!

Hello 3DJack,
Cnn you please post details and/or instructions on how to replace the flash tube?

I need to do the same thing....couple of days back my Metz just did a loud pop while taking photos. I noticed that the tube had exploded ! Glass shrads everywhere inside the head :-(
05-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Metz AF-2 58 tube just exploded. I need to replace it. Tube is available for $15 online, but I can't seem to find instructions.

05-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
the capacitor is dangerous if not discharged before working on the unit.
Last year I shocked myself by accidentally touching the capacitor of an open AF360. It made my thumb twitch uncontrollably and felt like a magnet was attached to it, keeping my hand glued to the capacitor.. also left a small, white circle where it melted the flesh. hhaah I paid the lazy tax. So please be very very careful (by safely discharging the capacitor and not thinking you can work around it safely).
08-02-2016, 02:35 AM   #9

Does anyone have some advice or instructions about how to open the head of Metz 58 for bulb fixing?
Thanks
01-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

Hello

I have also an issue with an 58AF1. Not the bulb but the Zoom of the Reflector sucks if it goes to 85 or 105 (From 24-70 it works fine. I think gears is not fix anymore and I want to try to fix it myself.

I also check some german forum (DSLR-Forum.de) but their is no illustrated manual, because the Database hast modified and all the older pictures are not visible anymore.
It only occurs only with older models (48AF1 & 58AF1) which are produced from 2009 till 2011. All the newer models AF2 have a revision and doesn't have this issues/problems of the Zoom Reflector Gear

Who has any information?
Gérard
01-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #11

Hello

Yesterday I found an Instruction with a dozen of pictures but it is completely in Italian Language

Metz 58 AF1 “Zoom ERR”, una riparazione ora possibile | NeD project

The part to remove the head isn't 100% clear, I have tried to translate it but all the online translators are useless!

Hello, to open the head of the flash you have to bend it to 90 degrees, the side caps of the head slide back from the head itself, but first you have to remove the piece of plastic round on the side opposite the gray button of release, if I remember correctly is pressure or glued. Once the round one has been removed, help yourself with a screwdriver and slide the plastic back towards the display to understand, on the opposite side do the same thing but the button that controls the block of the parabola does not remove, you have to press it and slide the cap in the same direction as the previous one. Removing the caps is easy, I remind you to leave the flash off and without batteries for a few hours before putting your hands in, the capacitor could be charged and the voltage is around 400Vdc, the caps are still very hard to slide.

Regards
Gérard
01-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Metz 58 AF1 "Zoom ERR", a repair now possible
Posted on October 21st 2014 by Massimiliano
EDIT 20 October 2014 : Thanks to the friend Christian who found a solution, the repair is possible, at the end of the article explanations and photos.

One day like many others insert my Metz 58 on the sled of the camera, I turn it on and after a strange noise the display indicates "zoom ERR", the motorization of the dish no longer works, I try to turn off and on, reset but nothing to do 'error persists and in fact the parable does not want to learn to move, without losing hope I am going to repair.

To reach the movement mechanism of the dish you have to open the moving head, the head should be set at 90 degrees to the body and the side caps slid back, towards the diplay to understand, are quite harsh and a screwdriver is an indispensable helper. the caps open the head immediately revealing the parabola with the xenon tube, a part of the circuit and the movement mechanism is located under the wide-angle diffuser that must be removed (it is a snap).
As shown in the picture, the axis of the electric motor mounts an endless screw that acts on a gear (white) that acts as a reducer to transmit the motion to the rack keyed to the mobile part that houses the dish. The problem is precisely the intermediate gear that rotates on a pin obtained from the molding of the plastic, the pin, too small (in my opinion) for the effort that must undergo has broken then the gear seizes between the worm and the rack, glueing the pin is impossible, it is made from the casting and the diameter is 2.5mm, so I thought to replace it with a metal by drilling a hole on the underlying base in order to give a minimum of body to the structure, keeping it in seat with a drop of glue. In theory it would have to work but there are problems: the base is about one millimeter thick, too little to provide adequate mechanical support, the wall opposite the pivot is the guide where the parabola flows so the pin should not protrude. The repair took the time to bring the dish twice back and forth then the system gave way, it was predictable. What to do ? the electronic part works perfectly, scraping such a beautiful device only for this is a pity. I decided to manually "power up" the dish, I removed the intermediate reducer, freeing the trolley that houses the dish, a hole on the front lens and a 40mm M3 screw connected to the cart allow me to move the dish from the outside. The solution is not comfortable but it works, it is clear that when the flash decides to move the dish in an autonomous way, the indication of error comes out, one thing to keep in mind is that the electronics when working in TTL if it does not determine the position of the parabola is not able to expose the subject correctly, in light of these fact the flash is unusable for use in the TTL machine, another thing with regard to manual setting, perhaps using a fixed lens, my choice was to relegate it to second flash for remote use, with radio trigger or CLS (nikon), here the parabola "by hand" is not a problem and instead allows you to adjust the zoom very quickly without having to go through the cumbersome menus. In conclusion, I saved a car still valid from scrapping, reinventing it for a second purpose but now I have to think about buying a new flash to use in the room ....

The repair proposed by Christian:

after 4 days of sleepless thoughts and nights I managed to repair the flash in question. the necessary material:
- a very strong clamp, medium-small size
- 1.5mm
tip - 2mm tip
- disc wheel
- a vise
- cotton bud and alcohol
- synthetic grease
- a screwdriver
open the flash until you find yourself free gear. clean the surfaces with alcohol and c.fioc. Now cut the lower part of the 2mm tip (the completely cylindrical one to be understood) to a length of 7mm using the grinding wheel. now with the 1.5 point you start making a hole as orthogonal as possible to the surface at the point of breaking the former gear pin RIGOROUSLY BY HAND by rotating the tip between index and thumb. this to start the hole in the precise point. once you have made a 0.5-0.8mm seat, mount the 1.5 point on the screwdriver and complete the hole, making it through. now the most delicate phase. with the 1.5 point you try to widen the hole up to a diameter that can hurry a coupling with good interference with your previously cut 7mm Ĝ2 tube. a piece of advice, make more delicate passages rather than risk to widen the hole too much. the insertion must be done with the utmost delicacy to avoid slipping the pliers and then breaking everything. the assembly direction must be from the bottom to the gear. once assembled, lubricate the pin and the surfaces where the gear will rotate, including the rack and reassemble everything. oh I forgot, once the drilling is finished, blow the residues because they could interfere with the movements of the gears, motor etc. another useful advice is to isolate the electrical contacts with an electrician's black tape because the burn on the hand is not pleasant ��

IMG-20141006-WA0001 IMG-20141011-WA0007 IMG-20141011-WA0015 IMG-20141012-WA0000

ShareSave
This article was published in Technical and marked as flash , metz 58 , edited by Massimiliano . Add the permalink to your bookmarks.
6 THOUGHTS ON " METZ 58 AF1" ZOOM ERR ", A REPAIR NOW POSSIBLE "
pointman theSeptember 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm he writes:
maybe use it for studio work. I would dedicate it to the table where I have the lightbox for still life. In practice, the rule only once and small errors do not create repercussions. Just so you do not have to throw it away.

Reply ↓

Massimiliano theSeptember 7, 2012 at 2:55 am he writes:
for work in the studio that among other things I have not used the bowens gemini with travelpack, generally shooting outdoors and prove to be a viable solution, in fact the use recommended by you can be a viable alternative.

Reply ↓
francesco 71 theMay 10, 2013 at 17:42 he writes:
Hi,
I saw your work. I need clarification for the same problem.
I do not understand how to slide the side caps back when they are locked by the gray button. You mean maybe the top and back caps. I tried to insert screwdriver into the two side slits of the transparent diffuser but nothing happens. Could you be more clear about what to do?
Thank you

Reply ↓

Massimiliano
theMay 13, 2013 at 6:21 am he writes:
Hello, to open the flash head you have to bend to 90 degrees, the side caps of the head slide back from the head itself, first you have to remove the 'piece of plastic round on the side opposite the gray unlock button, if I remember correctly it is pressure or glued. Remove the round you help with a screwdriver and slide the plastic back, to the display to understand, on the opposite side do the same thing but the key that controls the block of the dish does not remove, you have to press and slide the cap always in the same direction as the previous one. Remove the caps dismantling is simple, I remind you to leave the flash off and without batteries for a few hours before putting your hands in, the capacitor could be charged and the voltage is around 400Vcc, the caps are still very hard to do slide.

Reply ↓
Mike theJanuary 19, 2015 at 11:12 am he writes:
Good morning to you, forgive me but I can not retract the caps,
should they be released by inserting some thickness from the diffuser side? Thank you

Reply ↓

Massimiliano
theJanuary 19, 2015 at 2:37 pm he writes:
hello, it's been a long time since I opened it and I have to say that I do not even have the flash, from what I remember you first remove the gray button to unlock the movement, the caps should slide forward, towards the glass.

Reply ↓
Leave a comment
01-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Common sense is, that you never ever repair a flash by yourself unless you are an experienced technician. And that's because a flash works with a very high voltage capacitor, which at first may cause harm if not correctly unloaded before opening the flash and at second, if you do not know what you are doing the whole thing may explode a second time.
Thus my recommendation is : Do not fix it yourself. If it can't be repaired by an authorized technician, throw it away and buy a new one.
09-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #14
Forum Member

Location: As I said before, I quit this forum due to people so rude to each other. Bye!
I got a Metz 58 AF-1 with the zoom err too. Manual zoom works fine but whenever I change to auto zoom, the zoom err appears. Does anyone successfully open this type of flash up to share your experience? Thanks in advance.
10-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vietnam74 Quote
I got a Metz 58 AF-1 with the zoom err too. Manual zoom works fine but whenever I change to auto zoom, the zoom err appears. Does anyone successfully open this type of flash up to share your experience? Thanks in advance.
I would check if there is an updated firmware available and reflash it. Even reflashing anyways and performing a factory reset may resolve your issue.