Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Urgen: Metz 58 af-1 Flash Bulb Replacement Instructions

My Metz 58 AF-1 fell out of my jacket pocket yesterday. It was in its case, but it hit the floor hard on its side. It popped the battery cover off, which I just put back on. I tested it out and it worked even did a short session with it in slave mode. Didn't notice any issues with it. So today I got it out to test a new diffuser I bought and it wouldn't test fire. It turned on just fine, but I would here the click for the test fire but it didn't fire and then the menu would lock up. I put it on my K-5 to see if that would work and nothing, would not fire, but the capacitor was discharging because it had to charge up again. So I looked through the flash and sure enough the bulb is cracked and broken into two. I ordered a replacement bulb from US Camera (uscamera.com) and it should arrive tomorrow. I have an indoor event to shoot tomorrow evening and I really need a flash to use, so this is kinda urgent. The problem is I don't actually know how to get the flash head open. I've already searched the internet for instructions or a blog post on how to do this and I haven't come up with anything except other threads like this asking the same question. If you know how to do this or have seen it done before I would sure appreciate some help. Thanks!

I also ordered a YN560-II flash today that will arrive tomorrow just in case I don't get this thing fixed.

Last edited by bgdisc; 04-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.
04-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
So no one here has ever successfully opened up the head of a metz 58 flash?
04-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

In all my years in photography, I can honestly say that I've never had to replace a flash bulb, so I can't help there.

But have you fired a quick email directly to Metz asking them the question, I've always found them to be a great company to work with.
03-13-2016, 04:51 AM   #4

So no one here has ever successfully opened up the head of a metz 58 flash?

I'm about do this. Anyone still interested? Shall I post details?
Jack

03-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Posting details and tips is always welcome, someone else may have the same problem in the future. I have never heard of this happening, but as a replacement is available, knowledge is probably restricted to dealers for safety reasons, the capacitor is dangerous if not discharged before working on the unit.
03-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #6

Please post!

Hello 3DJack,
Cnn you please post details and/or instructions on how to replace the flash tube?

I need to do the same thing....couple of days back my Metz just did a loud pop while taking photos. I noticed that the tube had exploded ! Glass shrads everywhere inside the head :-(
05-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Metz AF-2 58 tube just exploded. I need to replace it. Tube is available for $15 online, but I can't seem to find instructions.
05-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
the capacitor is dangerous if not discharged before working on the unit.
Last year I shocked myself by accidentally touching the capacitor of an open AF360. It made my thumb twitch uncontrollably and felt like a magnet was attached to it, keeping my hand glued to the capacitor.. also left a small, white circle where it melted the flesh. hhaah I paid the lazy tax. So please be very very careful (by safely discharging the capacitor and not thinking you can work around it safely).

08-02-2016, 02:35 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have some advice or instructions about how to open the head of Metz 58 for bulb fixing?
Thanks