Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Everything's gone green

Really confused by this, a good number of images I'm producing for clients recently take on a very green tone and are drained of other colours once they get posted online. I shoot with a K5 and the limiteds and deliver my images in full resolution. My impression is that this occurs after resizing, and oddly on some images it's just the thumbnail and when you click to open it corrects itself.
Here's an example of fully green: Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem
And if you look at her full portfolio, Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem
you will see a few green thumbnails, but if you click on image 3 along the top the colours pop back when it enlarges.

My other feeling is that this only happens to images that have been put through some processes in CS6, but they are fine on my monitor.
Another example is here, if I search in Google images "my name" and "the client" I worked for the thumbnails along the top look awful, but click through to the site and it corrects. However, she posted the same shots to Facebook and one of them remains green.

Google search example: rob anderman - Google Search

Please someone help me !!!

04-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Please someone help me !!!
I'd love too, but I don't know that I'm that clever, some bright spark will be along in a minute or two with the solution hopefully.
04-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #3

This might or not be the reason of your issue, but this image: http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130402/12/515b37450ee32.jpg has an embedded color profile (named "ProPhoto RGB"), while the corresponding thumbnail doesn't. So, probably, that info got stripped from the latter, which causes browsers to render it incorrectly. The solution would be to only upload photos in sRGB, which is what browsers default to if they have no info, I believe.
04-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I may have found the issue as mentioned my C-meier, as it's just images that have been run through CS6 I presume that's where the problem is created. So I found this: Why Your Photos May Look Bad on the Web | Pioneer Woman Photography | Ree Drummond

Looked at my colour space settings and found that in CS6 (edit-convert to profile) that my source space was sRGB but my destination space was CMYK Us Web Coated. I HOPE that's the solution so I've changed destination to sRGB to match the source. Just got to try and recreate the issue then see it fixed !

04-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
The solution would be to only upload photos in sRGB
Aye right enough, I do remember that when posting to the web your need to be sRGB colour space, not the others.

I don't even know how c-meier got in to see the embedded colour space of the uploaded file, see I said clever folk would come along.
04-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I don't even know how c-meier got in to see the embedded colour space of the uploaded file
That's just EXIF data... you can even see it online: Jeffrey's Exif viewer

Now... why a site like modelmayhem, supposedly made for photographers would strip that info from the thumbnails, I don't know. At least they could use the embedded thumbnail, if it is available.

BTW, nice work, Rob
04-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
That's just EXIF data... you can even see it online: Jeffrey's Exif viewer
Thanks for the heads up on that, just used it on an image I posted here on the forum, which looked very spurious...

The software says "WARNING: No color-space metadata and no embedded color profile: Windows and Mac web browsers treat colors randomly. Images for the web are most widly viewable when in the sRGB color space and with an embedded color profile. See my Introduction to Digital-Image Color Spaces for more information."

Next question is why, I need to go back to Lightroom or CS6 wherever I exported from and check the settings.

Thanks again.

04-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you hit "export" in LR or "save for web" in PS, you can select these things in drop down boxes and by selecting checkboxes.
sRGB is the most widely used, especially for web, so you probably want that. You can even choose on the camera, whether you want AdobeRGB or sRGB.
04-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your help guys, it does look like not having my destination space set to sRGB is the problem. Why it was at something else I do not know.
But as a test here's the clients upload to MM Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem
And here's mine just now after opening the jpeg I've kept on my drive in CS6 then saving it back in sRGB.http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32369838

Looks fixed to me, now how many clients have I got to write to now !
04-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Thank you all so much for your help guys, it does look like not having my destination space set to sRGB is the problem
+1, big thanks from me also, this issue has dogged me intermittently over time, but now I know exactly what it is and how to deal with it.

To resolve this issue in the past, just between you and me mind, I don't my street cred to be totally blown.

Therefore; I wont tell you that I'd used colour checker passport to profile image, re calibrated monitor umpteen times, just recently bought i1 Display Pro (PC/Mac) (in fact still waiting for it to arrive) as I thought old calibration kit was off.

The i1 Display Pro, certainly wont hurt for future use, I understand it's damned good kit.

Here's the real belter, I kept adjusting the hell out of the images and kept re uploading to the web until they looked about right. Can you imagine the time that took for each image.

All because at some point I ticked or didn't check the right box, duh.

Thanks again guys, a very happy bunny in the Highlands of Scotland.
04-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh crap, it ain't working. It worked for than one shot but not for others. I've traced the culprit to the step where you go from Lightroom into CS6, the default export seems to be Prophoto. Then my source was Prophoto in CS6 and my destination CMYK US hence totally messed up colours.
Ah ! Got it ! I think.. It's locked as Prophoto from it's Lightroom export so rather than 'save as' in CS6 I save in 'save for web' as a jpeg with 'convert to sRGB' ticked. This gives me a good file size and so far.....NO GREEN.