Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What am I doing wrong with my m42 adapter?

My first m42 lens finally came in, which gives me a chance to use the Pentax m42 adapter I bought a little while ago.

The lens is working fine, I can take pics and they seem to come out as they should. I'm using green button metering in M mode.

There's just one problem... The adapter doesn't lock into the camera mount so the lens is loose and I have to hold onto it to keep it from falling out of the camera. Basically the only way it's useable is to turn the focus to minimum distance and focus OUT which rotate the lens the right direction to keep it from unscrewing from the body. Not a good way to operate, especially if I overshoot focus a bit and need to turn back

Here's a picture of the adapter, as you can see it appears to be the real thing. But it doesn't go anywhere near the lock pin on the K-mount as it fits entirely inside the mount hole, nor does it seem to have any moving parts that pop out to grip anything.

Is there a piece missing from my adapter, or do I need to do some special step to cause it to lock/unlock into the mount? Searching around I found references to a locking spring, but there doesn't appear to be anything like that on my adapter, it's just a single piece of metal.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
My first m42 lens finally came in, which gives me a chance to use the Pentax m42 adapter I bought a little while ago.

The lens is working fine, I can take pics and they seem to come out as they should. I'm using green button metering in M mode.

There's just one problem... The adapter doesn't lock into the camera mount so the lens is loose and I have to hold onto it to keep it from falling out of the camera. Basically the only way it's useable is to turn the focus to minimum distance and focus OUT which rotate the lens the right direction to keep it from unscrewing from the body. Not a good way to operate, especially if I overshoot focus a bit and need to turn back

Here's a picture of the adapter, as you can see it appears to be the real thing. But it doesn't go anywhere near the lock pin on the K-mount as it fits entirely inside the mount hole, nor does it seem to have any moving parts that pop out to grip anything.

Is there a piece missing from my adapter, or do I need to do some special step to cause it to lock/unlock into the mount? Searching around I found references to a locking spring, but there doesn't appear to be anything like that on my adapter, it's just a single piece of metal.
There should be a metal retaining clip on the side of the slot just in front of "Ashai". I don't see it on yours, and that is what holds the adapter on. Look to see if there is a small hole for a screw there.
04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Your adapter is missing a spring in the cut-out area by the word Asahi. I'll post a photo soon.
04-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Pentax Mount Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

04-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Here are some quick photos of my adapter:
This shows the adapter from the same view as your photo, see the spring, your adapter looks like it has been cut or scored also:
Name:  20130419002.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  110.2 KB
Side views show the spring and how it's attached.
Name:  20130419003.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  134.8 KB
You probably have an open screw hole, or if you are lucky the screw and broken spring may be there. If the screw and partial spring is there it will easier to see how to make a replacement.
Name:  20130419004.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  86.2 KB
04-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
OK, I see the hole right behind the 's' in Asahi. It's just an empty hole, nothing in it. Apparently it's been missing for a long time, I checked the eBay auction photos and the screw hole is empty there too (now that I know what to look for).

So, I think what I'm going to have to do then is stop by KEH over lunch on Monday and just pick up an adapter there. If we think it's possible to buy one of the cheap knock-off adapters and steal the spring and clip from that I suppose I could try it and if both adapters work I can re-sell one of them.
04-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
So, I think what I'm going to have to do then is stop by KEH
For some reason that is a terrifying thought. I had no idea they had an actual store. So you can just walk in and look at their offer? Good thing I am in Oregon, not sure my wallet would stand up to living close to them....
04-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
You can go there, but they don't like it. They don't have a showroom, it's just a warehouse. I've heard they charge you extra for buying things in person because it "messes up their workflow". And, even though they're open Saturdays and that's the most convenient time to stop by, no in-person visits are allowed on the weekends. They're slightly more welcoming to people coming to trade in old equipment I think.

Anyway, so since I can't go tomorrow I'll try to go Monday.

04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For some reason that is a terrifying thought. I had no idea they had an actual store. So you can just walk in and look at their offer? Good thing I am in Oregon, not sure my wallet would stand up to living close to them....
Wow, no kidding, it makes it even more interesting that they don't want you in there.
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to a generous forumite who sent me a spare screw & spring bar - my adapter is fully functional now, hooray!

I've got the Helios mounted on the camera now and am hoping to get to take a few test pics tonight after work. The method I've been using is to set the camera to M, set ISO to Auto, compose, focus, stop down (if desired), press the green button (which sets an appropriate ISO), and then shoot. Seems to work well.

I understand that you can also shoot in Av mode, haven't tried or read instructions for that method yet but I'll try it out later. The M/green button route is pretty easy though, it'll probably be a hard act to beat, especially if you're shooting wide open so you don't need to fuss with stopping down and re-opening for the next shot. Then it's just focus, green, shoot.

Last time we were at the GA Aquarium I shot all my pics with my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7. I'm not sure when we're going again (we have season passes) but this time I would like to try shooting exclusively with the Helios and see how it compares.