Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust or sensor stain

Just saw this .bottom left of photos 2 spots..
wonder if its dust or sensor stain? 3 month old K5II lens Da300 any ideas..can I clean it myself
Thanks Shanti

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Dust

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Dust spot. Do you have the dust removal function turned on? I set mine to "Start-up Action = 'Y'" It is menu>wrench>4>dust removal.

Run the Dust removal function a couple of times and then check again. If it is still there you may need to take off the lens and blow things out with an air blaster. DO NOT use compressed air, get a rubber bulb thing if you don't have one. I can get you a link if you need it.

Dust removal in order:
  1. Use the startup function as preventative maintenance
  2. Run the camera dust removal manually if you get spots
  3. Use an air blaster if the camera function is not enough
  4. Use a wet clean if the air blaster is not enough
  5. Send to a camera shop for professional clean if nothing else works
04-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think there has ever been any reports of sensor stains on the K-5II/IIs. That was on early K-5s only.

As posted above, you have dust on the sensor. In 99.9% of such cases for me, a combination of the in-camera dust removal function and a rocket blower have solved the problem.

04-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar problem a few week back. It was dust and it took me hours, but I still couldn't find a way to remove the very tinny one in a corner.
So I call Pentax, they said my K5 is still during the warranty, so they will clean the sensor for free. that was nice! I drop it in at Pentax Forum (not this forum) Shinjuku during lunch, and go get it back an hour later.
if my K5 is out of the warranty, they will do it for 1,030 yens. It's 1030 yen + 1hour, I will just let them do it one a year from now on!
If you have trouble remove the dust, and you have pentax service center close to where you live or work, try ask them first. they should offer you a free sensor cleaning. it is only 3 months old. but make sure you ask them how long it will take. I remember reading some people said it can take day, week, month in some location!
04-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Gee that's cheap. Our local camera shop wants to rip people off for sensor clean at $60
04-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I had a similar problem a few week back. It was dust and it took me hours, but I still couldn't find a way to remove the very tinny one in a corner.
So I call Pentax, they said my K5 is still during the warranty, so they will clean the sensor for free. that was nice! I drop it in at Pentax Forum (not this forum) Shinjuku during lunch, and go get it back an hour later.
if my K5 is out of the warranty, they will do it for 1,030 yens. It's 1030 yen + 1hour, I will just let them do it one a year from now on!
If you have trouble remove the dust, and you have pentax service center close to where you live or work, try ask them first. they should offer you a free sensor cleaning. it is only 3 months old. but make sure you ask them how long it will take. I remember reading some people said it can take day, week, month in some location!
Didn't they rename their outfit in Shinjuku to "Pentax Square" some years back, around when they moved location?

Anyways, they're really good people there, even speak English quite well, and do excellent service. Also, i like to just visit the place as they let you fondly almost any gear you want (although their former location, during the film-age when it was "Pentax Forum" had a lot more gear on exhibit and to fondle....)
04-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Gee that's cheap. Our local camera shop wants to rip people off for sensor clean at $60
I'm not surprised: Japan is not exactly known for "ripping off", Pentax Japan even less than most Japanese.

In, year 2000 or 2001, I think it was, I was in Japan for business and visited the "Pentax Forum" (as it was known then) for the very first time. I needed a Pentax widget - I forget what widget it was exactly (could have been a lens, could have been a grip, it wasn't a trivial price, but it wasn't a camera either) - and asked the sales person in the "Pentax Forum" if he had it in stock.

"Yes", he said - then continued "But, Yodobashi Camera has it about 15% cheaper than I do, come with me ....", and he took me up to street level and pointed me to the nearest Yodobashi Camera outlet - even wrote (in Japanese) the exact reference of what I wanted on a wad of paper to show at Yodobashi.

Bad sales-person? Clever Pentax representative driving a brand image & people to the big camera stores asking for Pentax products? Either way, I left impressed - and feeling distinctly un-ripped-off

I've been back to Japan many times since (good place to do business, amazingly photogenic country, the best food in the world, onsen -- and Pentax....what's not to love?). I've always stopped by the Pentax Forum / Pentax Square....actually, I book a hotel about a block away to be able to drop off gear on arrival for CLA and pick it up when departing. I usually end up picking up some thingamabob at the same time, enjoy seeing the ever-changing photo exhibitions (there're some seriously good photos shown, all taken with Pentax gear), playing with the latest and greatest gear and thus fueling my LBA....

04-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

... if my K5 is out of the warranty, they will do it for 1,030 yens. It's 1030 yen + 1hour, ...
That is a wonderful price, and same day service!

Can you describe approximately where this shop is in Shinjuku? I'll be back in Tokyo for a few days before heading up to Hokkaido in the fall and might just drop my K-5 off while I go have lunch. That is the best deal for sensor cleaning I have ever heard of.
04-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Dust or sensor stain
Dust on the sensor, the bain of digital photography, time to reach for the rocket blower.

Thinking back dust was also the bain of film photography too, but this time on negatives.
04-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Thinking back dust was also the bain of film photography too, but this time on negatives.
Yes, I can well remember that, too. Nothing much has changed, has it?
04-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I can well remember that, too
I guess we both of that age...

I also remember retouching in those days was a real pain, it involved wee thin paintbrushes and took loads of time, clone stamp or healing brushes hadn't been invented.
04-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

tclausen is right, It is Pentax Square now, I keep calling Pentax Forum!

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
That is a wonderful price, and same day service!
Can you describe approximately where this shop is in Shinjuku? I'll be back in Tokyo for a few days before heading up to Hokkaido in the fall and might just drop my K-5 off while I go have lunch. That is the best deal for sensor cleaning I have ever heard of.
here you go, follow this link, A is Shinjuku's JR "west exit", and B is Pentax Square. you want to go down to F1 floor.
they close on tuesday every week. Loney Planet has a few more information here
if you go there, I highly recommend to visit the tokyo metropolitant office building too. 5 minutes walk, follow this link. you can go up to the 45th floor and get a good look at tokyo from above. go there around 4-4:30 and stay until the sun set. (no tripod allowed)

by the way, It might be 1,300 yens. Now I am not sure if it is 1,030 (10.3$) or 1,300 yens (13$). ... but still positive at 1,030
04-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Just saw this .bottom left of photos 2 spots..
wonder if its dust or sensor stain? 3 month old K5II lens Da300 any ideas..can I clean it myself
Thanks Shanti
It could be either. I don't think your speaking of the sensor stain issue when the K5 first came out? Spots on the sensor can be anything from sticky pollen, soft materials with hard mixed in, oil from the camera or materials from wear within the camera. That very well may be a slight oil smear stuck to the sensors SP filter. I have lens with Pentax SP coatings and they repel dust and water good, but not oil so well (like a finger mark).

The problem is there is no one quick answer; you can' tell by the pic above. Many times people fail at blowing that's why there is a market for wet swabs and other devices to clean the sensor. The spot may need more than blowing to remove.

IMHO the most important thing to remember when trying to remove a spot is what I wrote above. Don't think blowing should do it and start blowing harder and harder, closer and closer. Stop at the lens mount and some puffs. Then move on to another method.

It is an easy to remove spot, with the right tool!
04-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

tclausen is right, It is Pentax Square now, I keep calling Pentax Forum!
Took me a couple of years to get used to the name change, too - just thought to point it out in case somebody went googeling for it.

Here's from the horses mouth:

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2007/200710.html

QuoteQuote:
here you go, follow this link, A is Shinjuku's JR "west exit", and B is Pentax Square. you want to go down to F1 floor.
they close on tuesday every week. Loney Planet has a few more information here
As it happens, there's also a Canon showroom nearby - in case one wants to see what the competition is up to

QuoteQuote:
if you go there, I highly recommend to visit the tokyo metropolitant office building too. 5 minutes walk, follow this link. you can go up to the 45th floor and get a good look at tokyo from above. go there around 4-4:30 and stay until the sun set. (no tripod allowed)
Very much agree. The view from the metro gov't building is spectacular: on a bright day, one can see Fuji-san from there. Also, admission is free and the cafe on the 45th floor is surprisingly reasonably priced.

I think we've taken this thread as off-topic as we possibly could, now, haven't we? What do we win?