Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Lens 18-250 Smc. Lock button jamed

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My Pentax Lens the 18-250 zoom lock button is jammed in the lock position.
I need help fixing this problem . I cant currently afford to fix the lenes at the local repair shop much less sending it to the Pentax repair center. Anybody with Ideas i will give them a go.

04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a DA8-250mm and never read about this issue in this forum. Can you post some photo of the lens and lock? Is it simply dirt inside the groove that could be scrubbed out?
05-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Slide lock.

I checked it for dirt. And nothing . The slide goes back into lock position and out of the locked postition. Still the lens does not zoom out. It feel like was ever engages that slide lock has broken inside the barrel. Is there a way to disengage that piece or remove the lock ? Does it pop out? I have been trying to find a diagram of the lock system to see if it is possible to remove the lock altogether with out taking the lens apart. Any ideas i would listen to Thanks
BL>
05-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This problem has been mentioned before, here and here, with no solution offered other than repair.

One possible solution, if the lens is out of warranty and involves unwanted repair costs, is to break the cheap lock. Apparently this is done by physically twisting the zoom while locked, as explained in one of the ratings posts here:

QuoteQuote:
My only complaint was the zoom-lock switch, it felt flimsy and a constant irritation. My daughter, who is a photographer of many years, turned the zoom when the switch was locked and the switch popped off the lens and was lost. My complaint is this; if it is a ZOOM-LOCK SWITCH make it LOCK THE ZOOM!! Make it strong enough that my dainty daughter can't break it when using the zoom.
Tamron advises against this action here:

QuoteQuote:
Zoom lock switch cannot be activated unless the lens is set to the shortest position. Do not
force the lock switch or try to rotate the zooming ring while locked; doing so may damage the lens.

05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Slide lock.

I attached the picture of the lock. Does it pop off with flat head screw driver. As said above torquing it off will not work but to break the lens. If i could afford to sent it in for repair i would but its a bit tight in the funds department. I was looking for a cheap fix. Thanks as always.
Attached Images

05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by layfsphoto Quote
I attached the picture of the lock. Does it pop off with flat head screw driver. As said above torquing it off will not work but to break the lens. If i could afford to sent it in for repair i would but its a bit tight in the funds department. I was looking for a cheap fix. Thanks as always.
i STILL HAVE NOT SEEN ANY BREAKDOWN ON THE PARTS FOR THIS LENS. IF ANYONE HAS THEM IT WOULD BE NICE.
THANKS
05-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by layfsphoto Quote
i STILL HAVE NOT SEEN ANY BREAKDOWN ON THE PARTS FOR THIS LENS. IF ANYONE HAS THEM IT WOULD BE NICE.
From here:

QuoteQuote:
I also asked them to send the parts diagram to assist in the repair process. In fact Tamron will fax you a parts diagram for any lens they sell.

05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok i emailed Pentax. See what I get. I really enjoy that lens.
05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Denied, of course they want me to pay to get it worked on. That sucks.
05-21-2013, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Contact Tamron and get a parts diagram for their version of the 18-250. Same lens, differently badged.

Any more yelling and you will be sent to your room!
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The attached diagram I received for a previous repair may not be detailed enough for what you are trying to do but it may provide some guidance.
I suggest to follow dis assembly procedure similar to this one DIY Tamron 11-18mm Lens Repair | Things I'm doing
And you may also reference images from this ebay posting Broken Tamron Di II AF18 250mm F 3 5 6 3 LD Aspherical If Macro 4 Canon as Is 0025211187210 | eBay
Attached Images
File Type: pdf tamron18-250.pdf (84.8 KB, 576 views)
05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh i see. I didn't realize it was the same my bad.. And thanks crew for the link I think i will be able to get started on this soon.
05-08-2018, 03:50 PM - 5 Likes   #13

I've just encountered this problem in May of 2018, discovered its cause, and created a web page detailing the simple repair (which can be accomplished with a modicum of skills in a matter of minutes). Hope this helps someone:

Fixing the Stuck/Jammed Zoom on a Pentax/Tamron 18-250 Lens

Regards,

Ellsworth
06-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #14

Thanks @Ellsworth - I had the same problem this weekend - In the hindsight, yes the lens was randomly locking/feeling hard to zoom every now and then lately, so that is encouraging given the symptoms you described! I will give your fix suggestion a shot tonight - you said the lens broke during airshow? I might be carrying my K-500 and the Tamron lens in the same airshow at CHS-AFB then! Will keep you posted with my updates on the fix :-)
06-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #15

YOU ARE THE MAN @ELLSWORTH! Took me 5 minutes to fix the lens. Only had to move the rubber grip partially to expose the screw, tightened it up and BAM, back in business! (unfortunately I was so excited, I then left my K-500 on a top shelf and it dropped by itself to have a cracked screen protector plastic - no major damage and camera works fine, i just have to make sure the screen doesn't touch any water - bummer!)