Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would it be possible
1) take a thin music wire with a short 90 degree bend in the tip,
2) slide it between lens and mount adapter where the spring clip on the adapter is
3) once there turn it so you can push the spring clip on the adapter
4) turn the whole assembly with lens to remove the adapter from the K mount

04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to delay trying to dismount the lens for a while. I'm going to attempt to get the help of a friend who is more mechanically inclined than I am. I'll keep your strategy in mind.
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know with this particular lens, you could take apart enough of the lens to get to the other side of that tiny pin. That's not always an option but Takumars are built to be disassembled that way. You'd have to unscrew the trim ring on the front and remove the three screws holding the filter ring on. Take that filter ring off. Then focus to infinity and remove the three screws holding the focus ring on, and remove that. Then loosen the 3 tiny slotted grub screws on the side of the lens holding the DOF scale ring on, and slide that off. Now the aperture ring can be slid off, but don't lose the bearing trapped between the ring and lens body. It's just above the orange diamond.

Under the aperture ring are three screws holding the lens mount on. When you remove those, the rest of the lens can be removed from the mount. Now you can get to the other side of that pin, and pull it up enough to unscrew the mount from the adapter.

The 135/3.5 is just about the same as the lens pictured in this disassembly guide, except longer. You only need to go to about step 8.
04-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I know with this particular lens, you could take apart enough of the lens to get to the other side of that tiny pin. That's not always an option but Takumars are built to be disassembled that way. You'd have to unscrew the trim ring on the front and remove the three screws holding the filter ring on. Take that filter ring off. Then focus to infinity and remove the three screws holding the focus ring on, and remove that. Then loosen the 3 tiny slotted grub screws on the side of the lens holding the DOF scale ring on, and slide that off. Now the aperture ring can be slid off, but don't lose the bearing trapped between the ring and lens body. It's just above the orange diamond.

Under the aperture ring are three screws holding the lens mount on. When you remove those, the rest of the lens can be removed from the mount. Now you can get to the other side of that pin, and pull it up enough to unscrew the mount from the adapter.

The 135/3.5 is just about the same as the lens pictured in this disassembly guide, except longer. You only need to go to about step 8.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try other things first because while I can probably take the lens apart, I'm not so sure I can put it back together. I'm ambiclumsy (the opposite of "ambidextrous").

04-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philosopher1123 Quote
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try other things first because while I can probably take the lens apart, I'm not so sure I can put it back together. I'm ambiclumsy (the opposite of "ambidextrous").
I know where you are coming from. My middle initial is "K" for klutz.
05-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

I managed to get my lens off. It took many tries. I used two razor blades to dislodge the pin that was stuck. Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions.
05-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, great job! I guess this is one of the challenges in using older lenses and an adapted mount. The genuine Pentax Adapter might be better suited.

05-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philosopher1123 Quote
I managed to get my lens off
That's great news, you got there in the end and no harm done, excellent.
05-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well done on your solution.

Don't let this learning experience put you off using legacy M42 lenses on your camera. You now know how to remove them if they catch a bit again.