Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Lens stuck in camera

I recently bought a Pentax K-01, and just purchased a generic M42 to K-mount adapter. (This may have been a big mistake.) I put on the adapter and attached an SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 lens to it. I am unable to get the lens off of the camera. The lens turns just a few degrees and that is it. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

04-22-2013, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

Hopefully we'll be able to help. Of course, it is best that you don't try to force the lens. I don't own a K-01 but have several Takumars.

1. Could you provide a bit more info on the adapter (image or a link so we can see it)? Did it come with a removal tool?

2. Does it seem or feel that there is a hard physical stop when you rotate the lens a few degrees?

3. Did you notice anything strange when you mounted the lens?

Hope other members will chime in here.

- Craig
04-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your welcome and questions, Craig.

Attached is a photo from the website of the adapter. It comes with a removal tool.
The lens does not fit smugly into the camera. There is some give and then the lens cannot be rotated further.Pressing the lens unlock button has no effect on being able to turn the lens.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL T2i  Photo 
04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I'm not an expert on M42 lenses and adapters but I do know that most M42 lenses I've used has a little metallic pin that would usually lock into an M42 mount body. It's possible that pin is hitting something on the adapter itself and the adapter is also stuck on the body. You can try pointing the camera to the ground when you try to unscrew the lens, and maybe the pin will go down unless a spring is keeping it locked in place.

04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does the adapter also turn a few degrees with the lens? If so, it may just be that the adapter and the lens have stuck together a bit stronger than expected and may need some gentle but applied force to separate the two. It sounds to me as if your adapter is turning a couple of degrees and catching something.
04-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philosopher1123 Quote
Thanks for your welcome and questions, Craig.

Attached is a photo from the website of the adapter. It comes with a removal tool.
The lens does not fit smugly into the camera. There is some give and then the lens cannot be rotated further.Pressing the lens unlock button has no effect on being able to turn the lens.

Thanks again.
I looked at your picture and compared with a genuine Pentax adapter.

The notch on the spring side looks similar but the other notch looks to be cut closer to the thread.

In an SMC Takumar there is a tiny pin which is close enough to the thread it might catch. This pin is pushed in when the lens is mounted on a body, and enables the Auto/Man switch to be switched only when the lens is mounted.

Can you change the Auto/Man switch on the lens to Man? If you can the pin will be retracted, and may enable you to release it.

When the lens is mounted completely firmly that pin would be very close to the red dot on the mount. The spring would be at about the same place too.
04-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northofpolaris Quote
I'm not an expert on M42 lenses and adapters but I do know that most M42 lenses I've used has a little metallic pin that would usually lock into an M42 mount body. It's possible that pin is hitting something on the adapter itself and the adapter is also stuck on the body. You can try pointing the camera to the ground when you try to unscrew the lens, and maybe the pin will go down unless a spring is keeping it locked in place.
Thanks. You are probably right about the pin being stuck. Pointing the camera down doesn't help.
04-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Does the adapter also turn a few degrees with the lens? If so, it may just be that the adapter and the lens have stuck together a bit stronger than expected and may need some gentle but applied force to separate the two. It sounds to me as if your adapter is turning a couple of degrees and catching something.
Thanks, Mike. The adapter isn't turning with the lens.

04-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I looked at your picture and compared with a genuine Pentax adapter.

The notch on the spring side looks similar but the other notch looks to be cut closer to the thread.

In an SMC Takumar there is a tiny pin which is close enough to the thread it might catch. This pin is pushed in when the lens is mounted on a body, and enables the Auto/Man switch to be switched only when the lens is mounted.

Can you change the Auto/Man switch on the lens to Man? If you can the pin will be retracted, and may enable you to release it.

When the lens is mounted completely firmly that pin would be very close to the red dot on the mount. The spring would be at about the same place too.
Thank you. The Manual/Auto switch is jammed. The word showing is "AUTO". I haven't tried extreme force, but the switch doesn't budge.
04-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philosopher1123 Quote
Thank you. The Manual/Auto switch is jammed. The word showing is "AUTO". I haven't tried extreme force, but the switch doesn't budge.
I think that explains what has happened! On SMC Takumar lenses the A/M switch is interlocked so that it will only operate if a pin on the mount surface is pressed in by the camera mount flange. This is to disable the A/M switch on the Spotmatic F (open aperture metering).
On the offical Pentax M42 adapter the slots on the flange are not deep enough to the inside to allow that interlock pin to enter the slot cutout as the lens is tightened. On your adapter the slots may allow the pin to fit into the open area of the slot, so that it would only turn freely for the width of the slot, then the pin hits and it wont turn further. In these photos (genuine Pentax adapter) you can see how this might happen, and can also see the orientation of the pin relative to the lens top. If it looks like this may be the problem, perhaps a feeler gauge or pen-knife blade could fit into the slot and work the pin up into the lens so it would clear the slot.
Name:  SMC Pin-Adapter.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  278.4 KB
Name:  Pin Orientation.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  231.9 KB
04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Philosopher1123,

I think TomB is on to a possible answer. The Manual/Auto pin could have lodged itself in the adapter cut-out, which would explain the several degrees of rotation you are getting with the lens. The pin is relatively short and has a slightly chamfered tip. You could try to wedge a thin feeler guage blade into the slot to separate the pin from the adapter. Then, gradually work in consecutively thicker feeler blades to push the pin down. Careful with the thinnest blade - they bend easily.

If you're not familiar with feeler guages - you can get them at automotive supply shops (e.g., Canadian Tire).

Can you tell us where you're located. If you're in the Ottawa area, I could possibly drop by to assist. Would hate to have you stuck with only one lens permanently mounted!

Good images, TomB.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-23-2013 at 08:03 AM.
04-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I think that explains what has happened! On SMC Takumar lenses the A/M switch is interlocked so that it will only operate if a pin on the mount surface is pressed in by the camera mount flange. This is to disable the A/M switch on the Spotmatic F (open aperture metering).
On the offical Pentax M42 adapter the slots on the flange are not deep enough to the inside to allow that interlock pin to enter the slot cutout as the lens is tightened. On your adapter the slots may allow the pin to fit into the open area of the slot, so that it would only turn freely for the width of the slot, then the pin hits and it wont turn further. In these photos (genuine Pentax adapter) you can see how this might happen, and can also see the orientation of the pin relative to the lens top. If it looks like this may be the problem, perhaps a feeler gauge or pen-knife blade could fit into the slot and work the pin up into the lens so it would clear the slot.
Attachment 169263
Attachment 169264
Thanks, Tom. I think that your diagnosis is correct. I haven't yet been successful in getting the lens out, but will try later.
04-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Philosopher1123,

I think TomB is on to a possible answer. The Manual/Auto pin could have lodged itself in the adapter cut-out, which would explain the several degrees of rotation you are getting with the lens. The pin is relatively short and has a slightly chamfered tip. You could try to wedge a thin feeler guage blade into the slot to separate the pin from the adapter. Then, gradually work in consecutively thicker feeler blades to push the pin down. Careful with the thinnest blade - they bend easily.

If you're not familiar with feeler guages - you can get them at automotive supply shops (e.g., Canadian Tire).

Can you tell us where you're located. If you're in the Ottawa area, I could possibly drop by to assist. Would hate to have you stuck with only one lens permanently mounted!

Good images, TomB.

- Craig
I'm in Toronto. I'm near a big Canadian Tire and will check it out after I do my taxes. Thanks for your offer and tips.

Lloyd
04-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Great. If you have another camera (on your cell phone?) maybe you could post a close image of the offending lens/adapter slot.
04-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hi,
Here are a couple of photos of the scene of the crime. Are these the types you were requesting?
Thanks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF