Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Broken Pop Up Flash

Hi all,
I have a K10d purchased in 2007. the pop up flash no longer works. I do have a Metz flash but would still like the opportunity to use the pop up. Is this a fixable situation? Is it expensive? Should it be done? Thanks

04-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
Hi all,
I have a K10d purchased in 2007. the pop up flash no longer works. I do have a Metz flash but would still like the opportunity to use the pop up. Is this a fixable situation? Is it expensive? Should it be done? Thanks
You can contact CRIS in AZ and get an estimate. Whether it should be done is a very subjective question. I've had good luck with CRIS and recommend you ask them.
04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The cheapest solution is to buy a k-5ii, donate the k-10 to charity, and write it off on your taxes. (Ok, not really the cheapest, but good photographer's logic anyway)
04-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is this a fixable situation?

Probably.

Is it expensive?

"Expensive" is relative. But considering to the monetary value of a K10D these days, the cost of repairing is high.

Should it be done?

Economically, no. If the camera has sentimental value to you, maybe.

04-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Considering the costs, you are better off getting some cheap triggers and use your external flash(es) off camera (and completely forget about the built-in flash) - better results anyway .

If pop-up is a must ... keep it as a back-up and invest in a new camera - even a K-01 if you can still find one.
04-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It really depends on what's broken in it.

You'll need a shop to look at it and see.

The popup on my *istDS stopped working a few years ago after it had a drop, I had a quote of about ~$200 from CR Kennedy (the Aussie Pentax branch) to have it repaired (they said it was possibly a circuit board issue, but wouldn't be 100% until they opened the camera up)

I decided to decline since I rarely used the flash.

Really the only thing is to work out what the issue actually is, it might be something like mine, or maybe it's just a blown globe? (can flashes "blow a globe?")
04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The cheapest solution is to buy a k-5ii, donate the k-10 to charity, and write it off on your taxes. (Ok, not really the cheapest, but good photographer's logic anyway)

I'm not particularly familiar with the US tax system, but are you actually permitted to do this over there? ie: deduct consumer goods from income?

I know there are strange (to me) things allowed like deducting the interest on home mortgage etc, so I'm just curious.

(I'm an accountant, hence my strange curiousity)

04-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I'm not particularly familiar with the US tax system, but are you actually permitted to do this over there? ie: deduct consumer goods from income?

I know there are strange (to me) things allowed like deducting the interest on home mortgage etc, so I'm just curious.

(I'm an accountant, hence my strange curiousity)
You can deduct, under certain circumstances, the value of goods donated to Charity (Our tax code they are 501(c)3 organizations) in the US. The rules, like all the tax code, are confusing, voluminous, and often inheriently contradictory but in general such donations are allowed as deductions.
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Pop up flash

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I did get a quote from CRIS and without even knowing what was wrong it was well over $100 to send it in. I think I'll stick with my Metz.