Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
calibrating color

Is there a color calibration tool on the K30 ?

04-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You mean for the screen on the K-30? Or of its photos? Because I think if you shoot raw it has an embedded colour profile. Though, different raw editors can still render it slightly differently.
04-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
Is there a color calibration tool on the K30 ?
Or if not the screen, but for the exported images....

RAW, by definition, means you get what the sensor sees. You can't alter this file within the camera.

JPG, on the other hand, is a file produced by the camera from the RAW image (even if you don't save the RAW image to your memory card). If you don't like the way your camera produces JPG files, yes there are tools built into the camera to change how the camera creates these files. Before we get to that, you should know two things: #1- the in-camera tools are used as the image is created and stored on you memory card. They cannot be used AFTER the image is stored. You will need an external image editor for that. #2- when you operate the camera in fully automatic mode, it means just that, you are letting the camera choose everything, including how to create JPG images. Any custom settings will be overridden.

Turn on your camera to a mode other than AUTO PICT or one of the scene modes (e.g., P, Av, Tv,). Press the INFO button. One of the menu options (top left on my K-r) is for adjusting the JPG rendering engine. There are a number of pre-built alternatives as well as one where you can build your own custom rendition. Film shooters do this (white balance, saturation, contrast) based on the type of film they purchase and the filters they shoot through.

By the way, if anyone has developed an in-camera custom color rendition to emulate Kodak Ektachrome, I would LOVE it if you shared your settings! I just don't have the time to do the necessary experimentation.
04-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I appreciate the feedback and yes I was talking about in camera settings. Thank you folks.