Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cannot be displayed

On playback mode in K-7 get lots of messages: "Image cannot be displayed." Sometimes it does not happen at all & other times there is a message like this between almost every other normal image.

04-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you format the card in the camera? Otherwise, it sounds like it's time to buy a new memory card.
04-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Have you tried other cards to see if it's just that one, ruling out any camera issues in the process.

Cards are relativity cheap these days, go on spoil yourself.
04-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #4

maybe you took the card out of you camera at some point to take a look at the photos on your computer. maybe, at that point you rotated the view on some of these to get a better look. maybe it was saved like this and when you put the card back into the camera, it doesn't know what to do with the files anymore. at least that's what happens on my girlfriends canon all the time. since i learned that, i never messed with the files directly on the sd card, again, so i don't know if this will affect a pentax, too.

04-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter

If the file can be viewed on a PC, but not the camera, I'll suggest two things

#1- first save all your files on your PC.
#2- clean the card contacts inside your camera. Cut a white business car to the shape of the contact end of an SD card, but much longer so you have a tail to hang on to. Remove the SD card and battery from your camera. Spray the shaped end of the business card with electronic contact cleaner then using a small flashlight rub the damp card over your camera's SD card contact pins. Be careful that you don't snag the contacts on the card and bend them.

Then put a fresh battery in your camera and format the SD card in your camera. If that doesn't solve the issue, it is time for a new SD card.
04-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
maybe, at that point you rotated the view
Maybe that's just a Canon thing.

Seriously, interesting though, a good heads up just in case it's worth looking into.
09-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #7

So what was the solution?
09-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
maybe you took the card out of you camera at some point to take a look at the photos on your computer. maybe, at that point you rotated the view on some of these to get a better look. maybe it was saved like this and when you put the card back into the camera, it doesn't know what to do with the files anymore. at least that's what happens on my girlfriends canon all the time. since i learned that, i never messed with the files directly on the sd card, again, so i don't know if this will affect a pentax, too.
Yes! That was the problem. If I use the computer to edit the image, than save the edited image to the card, the camera cannot read it. Now I transfer images to a computer file and do not save back on the card. Thank you. Glad to have this explanation!

07-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Yes! That was the problem. If I use the computer to edit the image, than save the edited image to the card, the camera cannot read it. Now I transfer images to a computer file and do not save back on the card. Thank you. Glad to have this explanation!
I visited my brother in Las Vegas recently and we went to Red Rock National Park one day. I brought my K5IIs with me and took about 200 shots of the mountains, rocks and vegetation. My brother asked me if we could look at some pictures when we were at his house afterwards. We went through and I was flipping pictures to see them using "Windows Live Photo Gallery" because he said he did not have "Picassa" when I asked him. I gave him a set of the pictures (copied to his computer). Later when I placed the SD card back into my camera, I noticed this message saying "image cannot be displayed". I was to the point where I deleted some of those images that I received that message for, but then stopped, remembering the computer had recognized all of them. I am so glad I found this thread. It was like a gift from God when I read the explanation of the saving of the rotated file from computer to card. I am so relieved, I thought maybe it was from the over 100 degree heat exposure, but it was not. Thank you Pentax forums. I still have faith in my beautiful, trusty, K5IIs and look forward to the future because of you.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-18-2015 at 09:12 PM.