Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

K-30 display turns off after capture

I recently received my K-30 and am really happy with it.

One thing that irritates me is that the display turns off approximately 3 seconds after capturing. So far I found no Setting to adjust this behavior. Therefore it feels more like a bug then a feature.
Is this normal or a known issue? I found nothing concerning this.

Edit: This happens with Firmware Version 1.00 as well as 1.04 when working with the viewfinder.

Last edited by delegopa; 04-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.
04-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for a setting that controls the instant review time. You can configure it for 0 to 5 seconds I believe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Page 212 of the owners manual - 1-3-5 secs or off are the choices.
04-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think if you press the info button a couple of times it turns off the display and a function of this is that after a photo is taken, the display turns off after the review. And the review is something you decide in the menu. So you can have a couple seconds or none at all. You can always press the blue play button to review all images on the card.

04-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Should have been more precise:
This was described without instant review (which works correct). The statusdisplay shown usually before and after capture turns off.

Capture -> (instant review) -> statusdisplay -3s-> display turns off
04-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Found the manual page concerning this (p. 23 EN / p. 25 GER).
It states that this behavior is normal. The status screen will be shown for 2 secs. after capturing and then turn off.
I think I can live with it but still find it unusual that there is no way of changing this.

Thanks for your efforts
04-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Any use of the back screen drains the battery faster. I believe 2 sec is enough time to check your settings, ISO, Shutter speed and aperture at a glance. The few instances when I want to check it again, I just half press the shutter button and have another look, it then stays on for about 15-20 sec I think
05-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #8

I have my screen set to off in order to save battery life, so I get no instant review.
If for some reason I want to review the photo (s) all I need do is press the playback button (under the AE-L button).

I normally only check the first shot to ensure proper exposure and WB, unless of course the shooting environment changes.

I've shot long enough to trust that the exposure and etc that I set is right. It was difficult at first (not peaking) but with time
I seldom use the instant view feature.