Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Problems with the power SW, K20D

Hi guys!

I was on holiday in Ireland last year, and my camera fell down from a chair to the hardwood floor. It was in my rucksack, and a chair isn't that tall, but it did somehow damage the camera.

I can't turn it on, but the LED blinks when I put an SD card in, so it does get power, pointing the problem towards something like a soldering for the power SW. However, I opened the camera today, and there is no direct soldering for the power SW on the upper right flex board, which is as far I dared to go as I couldn't discharge the capacitor for the flash.

Now, after I had it opened, I discovered something. When I hold the switch between on and the aperture mark (dunno the name for that mode, sorry), it gets power for a split second, then turns off, then on again. I verified this wasn't some weird way to test the LCD, I could actually change the shutter speed and aperture when doing this. I could not take pictures or get the LCD on.

But atleast, there is still life in my camera, and there is a way to fix it, I am sure of it. A repair costs me 3500NOK, which is around 350, maybe 450$. My insurance wants 4000NOK, and a used camera costs 2500NOK. So no point in repairing it unless I can discover the issue and fix it myself, or get someone professional to solder the cable or whatever.

Anyways, hope you guys might have some input to my issue!

Jim, Norway

04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jakke Quote
Hi guys!

I was on holiday in Ireland last year, and my camera fell down from a chair to the hardwood floor. It was in my rucksack, and a chair isn't that tall, but it did somehow damage the camera.

I can't turn it on, but the LED blinks when I put an SD card in, so it does get power, pointing the problem towards something like a soldering for the power SW. However, I opened the camera today, and there is no direct soldering for the power SW on the upper right flex board, which is as far I dared to go as I couldn't discharge the capacitor for the flash.

Now, after I had it opened, I discovered something. When I hold the switch between on and the aperture mark (dunno the name for that mode, sorry), it gets power for a split second, then turns off, then on again. I verified this wasn't some weird way to test the LCD, I could actually change the shutter speed and aperture when doing this. I could not take pictures or get the LCD on.

But atleast, there is still life in my camera, and there is a way to fix it, I am sure of it. A repair costs me 3500NOK, which is around 350, maybe 450$. My insurance wants 4000NOK, and a used camera costs 2500NOK. So no point in repairing it unless I can discover the issue and fix it myself, or get someone professional to solder the cable or whatever.

Anyways, hope you guys might have some input to my issue!

Jim, Norway
Sure sounds like a trip to the shop is in order, short of that...look around Pentaxhacks, Downloads, might find some info there.
04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lol didnt get to reply till a mod approved my post.

It was the metal fingers on the power sw. Got a hunch after reading about similar problems, and took the top off a second time. There she was!
04-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jakke Quote
Lol didnt get to reply till a mod approved my post.

It was the metal fingers on the power sw. Got a hunch after reading about similar problems, and took the top off a second time. There she was!
Great, an easy fix.