Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

What do I do with a bunch of DNG files?

Ugh, I was shooting with my new K-01 and tried to take a few pics in RAW so I could try to process them and managed to leave that as the default so I have a few hundred DNG files now. I probably want to just delete 90% of them but they take forever to open with the Pentax-supplied software and they all look blurry, out of focus, and many have horrible purple fringing. Is there some way to quickly preview these with a default processing like the camera does with jpegs?

04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are a few things you can do here... Now, if you are using a MAC then there is no problem as Mac's are natively capable of reading DNG (which is the standard for RAW) or if you are using a Windows PC (Windows 7) You can get Adobe DNG Codec (DNG is the Adobe standard for RAW) and you can view the images just like you can JPEGs or as you would on your camera. If you wish to process them, you can use Adobe Elements or Adobe Photoshop. Granted for this method you'd have to record an automated process to automatically save them, unless you feel up to the task of clicking 'Save' every time a new image is ready to be processed. If you do any kind of editing (you will likely need to make some minor tweaks with RAW images) you may even want to set Adobe Photoshop or Elements to open photos with Camera Raw. Makes making tweaks and edits to multiple files fast and easy. Hope this helps!
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Irfan Viewer plus the plugin pack. It's free and a great viewer but you have to uncheck a box now if you don't want some junkwear installed with.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
04-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, forgot to include this in my last post, but Adobe's DNG codec for Windows is free, also. Just do a Google Search for Adobe DNG Codec and it should direct you to the Adobe page for it. Note, that by using that, you are not processing or changing the file type of the images, it just makes it so that Windows will read DNG files.

04-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky62 Quote
Ugh, I was shooting with my new K-01 and tried to take a few pics in RAW so I could try to process them and managed to leave that as the default so I have a few hundred DNG files now. I probably want to just delete 90% of them but they take forever to open with the Pentax-supplied software and they all look blurry, out of focus, and many have horrible purple fringing. Is there some way to quickly preview these with a default processing like the camera does with jpegs?
I use the windows live image gallery software for on-the-fly previews, with Adobe Bridge being the alternative for when I have a large number of files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

I too use IrfanView.
04-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

<p>
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky62 Quote
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I use a program called Faststone that seems to browse RAW files very quickly and also has many other great features like being able to batch convert your RAW files to jpeg. It is free... Just give it a google.</p>
04-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

The viewer is fast with PEFs, I suppose equally speedy with DNGs.

04-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the quick responses.
04-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
+1. Faststone also has quick edit features for when you just want to do simple things without the hassle of opening Photoshop or whatever editor you use. A quick curves or contrast adjustment or crop, that sort of thing.

For quick down and dirty edits just to get something up on Facebook or my family e-mail blog, I just use FS on the Jpegs. For more important images for print or other showing where it matters I still use PS on the RAWs to get the best results. The Faststone method is 10x quicker. When in a hurry, I can get something to post in about 30 seconds.
04-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think you're generally better off saving as PEF files, if possible. DNG is Adobe's proprietary format that they're trying to get everyone to save their RAW files in (and succeeding to an extent).

Adobe tries to scare people into believing they'll be stuck with unreadable files in the future if they don't convert them to DNG today. The problem is when you do that some software loses the ability to extract all of the metadata from it anymore, which can leave you viewing some strange looking photos.

Even if Pentax or Olympus were to go out of business tomorrow, I don't think we'd ever lose the ability to view the files. The only way that would happen is if someday in the future people are no longer interested in looking at photos. And, come to think of it, at that point it wouldn't matter anyway!

BTW, FastPictureViewer is an excellent image viewer, but you eventually have to buy it to continue viewing RAW files. However, it's one of my most important tools - It's worth temporarily leaving OS X for Windows just to use it.
04-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think you're generally better off saving as PEF files, if possible. DNG is Adobe's proprietary format that they're trying to get everyone to save their RAW files in (and succeeding to an extent).

Adobe tries to scare people into believing they'll be stuck with unreadable files in the future if they don't convert them to DNG today. The problem is when you do that some software loses the ability to extract all of the metadata from it anymore, which can leave you viewing some strange looking photos.

Even if Pentax or Olympus were to go out of business tomorrow, I don't think we'd ever lose the ability to view the files. The only way that would happen is if someday in the future people are no longer interested in looking at photos. And, come to think of it, at that point it wouldn't matter anyway!
PEF is a dead end because Ricoh isn't going to use it going forward...the K-01, K-30, Q & Q10 are already DNG only.
04-29-2013, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

you're generally better off saving as PEF files
I disagree with this statement, even Pentax no longer support PEF in the their most recent product offerings, both the K-30 and K-01!

Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax all support DNG, to name but three, think that the writing maybe on the wall for PEF.
04-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #14

Original Poster
I was reading the files straight off the camera and they were DNG on the memory card. I have a K-01.
04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter

BTW, FastPictureViewer is an excellent image viewer, but you eventually have to buy it to continue viewing RAW files. However, it's one of my most important tools - It's worth temporarily leaving OS X for Windows just to use it.
There was a point when PEF was smaller than DNG. However, that is no longer true.