Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
So still unsure why color looks different on this site. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
A lot of websites will resize photos if they are over certain criteria, and this can lead to poorer quality in colour and sharpness. Do you also have Lightroom set to sRGB? I'm only asking because on the forums we got a lot of people asking about this and usually sRGB fixed it. If its not colour space and colour profile, it might be just image size or the browser itself.

05-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
I traveled to the arboretum with my dog for some great shots of her amongst beautiful flowers using my K-5 and my FA 77mm 1.8 lens. I always use center point focus, and focus on her eyes. I also mostly shoot around 2.5 - 3.2 aperature. I got home and anxiously uploaded my photos and about 80% of them were out of focus. Zoomed in at 100% her eyes are just too soft. Its so frustration.
When shooting my dog close up the focus is spot on, but from a distance seems off a lot of the time.

Is this due to the large focus points of the K-5?
Also I have not calibrated my lenses, would calibarating be a good idea? The thing is, if the focus is dead on when my dog is close to the camera and off when she is far from the camera is it still possible there is a front/back focus issue? Would I still need to calibrate?

Thanks in advance.

Debbie
Hey

I experienced a similar situation to you recently with a DA 70 I recently picked up through the forums. I ripped it from the packaging like a child on Christmas day opening their presents. I was slightly disappointed with the early results, but I had an experience with lens that needed focus adjustment before thanks to an awful experience I had with a Sigma 30 1.4 this past December.

That night I immediately calibrated it using the following DIY tool:

GhettoCAL DIY Lens Calibration Tool

If you have cardboard or foamboard lying around and access to a printer, it should take about 10-20 minutes to construct. Best of all, it's free.

After calibration, I immediately noticed the magic that everyone talks about with the DA 70.

It may help you with your calibration efforts.
05-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Hey

I experienced a similar situation to you recently with a DA 70 I recently picked up through the forums. I ripped it from the packaging like a child on Christmas day opening their presents. I was slightly disappointed with the early results, but I had an experience with lens that needed focus adjustment before thanks to an awful experience I had with a Sigma 30 1.4 this past December.

If you have cardboard or foamboard lying around and access to a printer, it should take about 10-20 minutes to construct. Best of all, it's free.

After calibration, I immediately noticed the magic that everyone talks about with the DA 70.

Here is another option that works as well and requires less assembly:
PENTAX DSLRs: Front or Back Focusing Problems? Free test (Lens Alignment) charts for Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus.
05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Moire pattern test is even quicker and does not require any cutting out

05-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
I will bookmark this site for testing, thanks.

I do need to point out that all it does is test auto-focus, it does not provide any tools to assist in calibration if needed. For that we are back to other options.
05-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Hey

Thank you, yes I plan on doing just that soon.
05-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Thanks! That's a great link.
05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #53

Original Poster
I started this post, i finally got around to calibrating my 2 Fa limited lenses, the FA 31mm and the FA 77mm. They are both fine, no adjustment is needed. I am a bit disappointed because I did not find a resolution to my focus problem. Perhaps it is me using center focus point and recomposing rather than selecting the appropriate focus point.