Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual lens K30 Kx

This may be a not so smart question but I'm learning I shoot a Kx and a K30. My questions is, when using an older K mount manual lens, and setting the f stop do I use the ring on the lens or leave it on A and adjust the aperture with the camera settings ?

Last edited by marquis1955; 05-01-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Title
05-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

If it has the 'A' setting, then you can use the camera to set it. If it does not, then you would use the ring on the lens, and also do not forget to set the menu option in the camera to allow the aperture ring on the lens to be used.
05-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the lens has the 'A' setting on the aperture ring you set the aperture with the camera. If the lens does not have the 'A' setting you have to set the aperture with the aperture ring. Non 'A' lenses only work in M mode and you have to use stop down metering.

1. Set "Using Aperture Ring" to Permitted in the Custom menu.
2. Turn the Mode dial to M. Set the aperture with the aperture ring. (On the K-30 make sure Auto-ISO is turned off).
3. Press the Green button to stop down and take a meter reading. (On the K-x you can use the AV +- button).
05-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the fast response, if I understand properly on my K30 if the lens has an A setting, I must have auto ISO off, but don't necessarily have to be in Manual mode ? And if I understand also, if I have A setting on the lens I don't need to change my "Using Aperture Ring" to permitted in the menu ?

05-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
Thank you for the fast response, if I understand properly on my K30 if the lens has an A setting, I must have auto ISO off, but don't necessarily have to be in Manual mode ? And if I understand also, if I have A setting on the lens I don't need to change my "Using Aperture Ring" to permitted in the menu ?
In the K-01 which should be the same, if the lens has the 'A' setting and it is set to it. You can use Av mode on the camera, Auto ISO is then available for use. If you do not have the 'A' setting on the lens, then you would need to use Manual and Fixed ISO to be able to do the metering with green button method, after you change the green button to 'Tv Shift' option in the menus for manual mode.
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the lens is on "A", all your exposure modes and metering modes work the same as and lens with the A in the definition: DA, FA, etc. The only thing that will not work is the autofocus. Leave the lens in A.
05-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the fast response, if I understand properly on my K30 if the lens has an A setting, I must have auto ISO off, but don't necessarily have to be in Manual mode ? And if I understand also if I have A setting on the lens I don't need to change my "Using Aperture Ring" to permitted in the menu ?
Auto-ISO only has to be turned off to use M mode on the K-30. This is because the K-30 inherited its firmware from the K-01 which uses Auto-ISO in M mode as a pseudo-TAv mode. The K-30 has 2 eDials and a TAv mode so it doesn't need to do this. On all other Pentax cameras Auto-ISO is automatically turned off in M mode.

If the lens has an A setting you do not need to set "Using Aperture Ring" to permitted unless you want to set the aperture with the ring instead of the camera.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now it is clear and one less thing I have been confused about. Thank you folks I really do appreciated the responses I have gotten from fellow Pentax Users, I love both cameras and their capabilities. I have much to learn !
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have much to learn !
You joined the correct forum for that! A whole bunch of great people here.
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Anyone know why the aperture is not completely open when the lens is put on A when using live view?
I want to use focus peaking but with the aperture partly closed it is easier to focus after manually changing the aperture wide open.