Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
+1 for the kx. My girlfriend has one and I have a a k10. The kx has a better sensor and much better low light capabilities. In some test ive seen on the internet even rivaling that of the k5 which i yearn for. The k10 is weather sealed and of slightly better build. It is also quite a bit heftyier and depending on your hands, camera size is pretty important. I would spend some time on this forum comparing cameras before you pull the trigger. Finding that equipment is very exciting. A lot of the older lenses are really awesome if you can get around shooting in manual. Shooting manual will teach you tons though and with digital experimentation is free. Try to find a photography book oruse the internet, and learn about making an exposure. Aperature, shutter speed, and iso/ film speed. Good luck!

05-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #17

Original Poster
Hi all, thanks for all the help and information! I really appreciate it and i may buy a K-x sometime soon because i saw one for around 200 euros near my location! As promised, here are the rest of my lenses! Can anyone give me info on these? If these lenses are known to be any good, or valuable?

Ashai Super Takumar 1.4/50

Sigma Zoom-0 II 3.5/4.5 28/85mm Multi-Coated (For-Praktica?)

Sigma Zoom-K II 4.5 70/200mm Multi-Coated

I was not able to find too much about this lens: Takumar Fodor 4.5 200mm. This one has some signs of use, but it still works like it should i guess...

Also, what do you guys think of the K20? Because i saw one for sale near me for 150 euros...

Last edited by Tedd05; 05-03-2013 at 03:41 AM.
05-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is the gem, hang on to it. And you have the hood which is important. The others, probably not worth too much either as a usable lens or to collectors. Primes lenses of that era hold up well on digital, zooms not so much. Modern zooms are much better (in most cases), modern primes are generally a little better but not dramatically so.

I think the k-x would be your best buy at this time unless you want a camera with more professional features. The k-x has a modern sensor and is a very good camera. The k10 and k20 are bigger, heavier, have more features, and have older sensors. They are not bad by any means but for the money I would get the k-x.
05-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All the lenses you have shown are what is known as M42 (screw) mount. Pentax replaced the M42 mount with the K mount, which it still uses today. You can still use all your lenses on a current Pentax camera body, but you will need to obtain a M42 to K mount adapter. The original Pentax branded adapter is hard to come by, but there are numerous adapters available from other manufacturers. These non-Pentax adapters tend to come in two styles. One has a flange that sits on top of the camera's lens mount, and the other style does not have this flange and sits entirely inside the camera's lens mount. It is this last style you want. The type with a flange prevents your lenses from focusing at infinity.

05-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
All the lenses you have shown are what is known as M42 (screw) mount. Pentax replaced the M42 mount with the K mount, which it still uses today. You can still use all your lenses on a current Pentax camera body, but you will need to obtain a M42 to K mount adapter. The original Pentax branded adapter is hard to come by, but there are numerous adapters available from other manufacturers. These non-Pentax adapters tend to come in two styles. One has a flange that sits on top of the camera's lens mount, and the other style does not have this flange and sits entirely inside the camera's lens mount. It is this last style you want. The type with a flange prevents your lenses from focusing at infinity.
I think there was a link somewhere here on the forums that B&H now have Pentax branded adapters. How much they can be had for, I have no idea... But to be honest I wouldn't trust a non-Pentax adapter for the M42 mount... I recently read on here about someone that was having problems, and was unable to get the mount off the body and the lens off the mount. Genuine Pentax stuff can be hard to come by, but it might be worth it. I don't know what brand that person was using, but it wasn't a genuine Pentax adapter, so I do not know if all third party adapters are like that or not, but that is just my opinion. Better safe than sorry with your new gear!
05-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I think there was a link somewhere here on the forums that B&H now have Pentax branded adapters.
good to know but the OP lives in the Netherlands and probably wouldn't want to pay the shipping and possibly import charges.