Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

A lot of questions from a beginner...

Hi everyone!

Let's introduce myself: My name is Ted Olsthoorn, 16 years old and from Rotterdam in the Netherlands. I'm well in to professional photography, but i did not have the gear nor the money for it, but yesterday i was cleaning out someone's basement and i found something that i could have if i wanted to: A bunch of older Pentax stuff. This includes an Ashai Pentax ES and an Ashai Pentax Spotmatic. For the rest, i got a few different lenses with it. Now i do not know anything about these two models, could anyone give me information of some sort?

Both of these cameras still work properly, and this is my first step into the SLR camera world. But it sure is a pity that these two camera's require films to print the pictures on, which makes it even more expensive. So i was maybe thinking of buying myself a (Pentax) Digital SLR camera. Which one(s) do you guys recommend to a total beginner like me? Can i put these older lenses onto a new Digital SLR camera? Or are these lenses too outdated to make proper pictures?

And if i'm going to buy a Digital SLR camera, i do not plan on keeping these vintage beauties. Does anyone know for how much i could sell these cameras (and maybe the lenses with them if it is required to buy newer lenses for a Digital SLR)?

For your intrest, i'm intrested in photographing cars. That may make a difference on deciding which Digital SLR i should buy. Also, here are two pics of the set i now got. You may ask for more photo's and i will make them and upload them!

05-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Tedd05,
I will probably not have too many suggestions to your questions, but I do have a suggestion that might help others let you know the value of what you have found. Could you please include as much detail about the lenses you found as part of your post. As I believe that most of the value of what you have found is probably in the lenses.

As another information point here is a link on how you would attach those manual lenses and set up the newer cameras to use them. I know the lenses from the spotmatic would require an adapter to be able to mount to the newer digital cameras (M42 vs PKA)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...-x-k-7-a.html?
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by toidpentax Quote
Tedd05,
I will probably not have too many suggestions to your questions, but I do have a suggestion that might help others let you know the value of what you have found. Could you please include as much detail about the lenses you found as part of your post. As I believe that most of the value of what you have found is probably in the lenses.
Tommorow morning i will upload more detailed pictures of the whole set since it's quite dark here now! It's great to see someone replying that fast!
05-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In order to give any evaluation of the worth of the lenses we would need a list with the complete name of the lens. Something like Pentax S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 all of the name is important. Just saying "50mm" does not help much as there are many different ones.

In general terms Pentax DSLRs can use older lenses with some limitations. The cameras will have used M42 lenses (the mount is threaded metric 42mm) which can be used on modern cameras with an adapter. Modern Pentax cameras use the K-mount which is a bayonet rather than screw mount.

Go here to see how to use M42 lenses on a modern camera: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

For photographing cars usually a very wide angle lens is used. For film cameras (or full frame digital) this would be 20mm or perhaps a bit less. On crop sensor digital (all of Pentax current DSLRs are crop sensor) it would be 10 - 20mm. There are no film era lenses that go that wide.

For a camera, take a look at used k-x's. Still a very good little camera and not too expensive. Also the k-r which is a little newer but more money.

Without exact info it is not possible to say more. You could have a bag of junk or you could be holding a fortune in rare lenses.

05-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tedd05 Quote
Tommorow morning i will upload more detailed pictures of the whole set since it's quite dark here now! It's great to see someone replying that fast!
welcome to the forum ted!!
05-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Welcome to Pentaxforums Tedd05!

As jatrax points out, a detailed list of the lenses would be nice. Too bad film is cost prohibitive for you. It is still available, and processing is there too. But hey, I gave in to digital a few years back myself.

As for lenses for shooting cars, if they are stationary, under 100mm is the range you might use. But if they are moving, like in racing, longer focal lengths will get you closer to the action, and keep you at a safe distance. I used lenses in the 150mm to 250mm range, and even used a Sigma 600mm cat a few times.

And if you really are into cars, check out the Gearhead thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/189972-gearheads-unite.html
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Most people will look at the cameras like you: they don't want to shoot film. So they won't sell for a lot. The ES is not too common and possibly would sell for more. They would have to be in very good shape to sell at all. I can't give you an accurate price because your market is different. I'd guess $50 for each and be pleasantly surprised if it was more. At that price, if you have any thoughts about shooting film at all, it might be worth keeping the simpler Spotmatic for that possibility.

The lenses can be used on a DSLR, actually a lot of cameras these days, so they have some resale value and some reason to use them yourself. Since you mentioned cars, think of these lenses as cars. Some people only want a car that has 600 horsepower, ten gears, four wheel drive and computers to keep the beast on the road. Some people are actually happy adjusting valve backlash or shifting gears or using a manual choke. The old lenses have no features and some have unusual rendering, so like an old car you constantly need to do stuff yourself. If that doesn't sound like fun, sell them.

I do recommend getting a DSLR to learn on. You get instant feedback and trying stuff is free. I would buy a used one with one or two lenses that it was usually sold with, an 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and sometimes more. The K-x or K-r offer a good value and are recent enough to have up-to-date performance. Older models will still take the same photos they did when they were the latest greatest thing, you just may have to make allowances for limitations. I would skip the *ist D, DS, DL, DS2, DL2 or K110D for one big reason: these cameras don't have in-body stabilization. That leaves entry level models K100D, K100D Super, K-m (K2000 in some countries), K-x, and K-r. The top level cameras with more controls and features are the K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5 and K-5II. Pentax had one older middle-level model, the K200D, and a recent mid-level K-30, borrowing some upper-level features and leaving some stuff out. On the used market, it is all about setting a budget and getting the most for that sum, not exact differences between the sensor in the K20D vs. the K-7.
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Another option is, you may be able to find some of what you have at Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com this way you could see both how much they sell and buy them for in various conditions, giving you a ballpark figure. But it's not guaranteed that they'll have everything you own listed.

Welcome to the Forum!

05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not so much a suggestion on what you should do with the stuff you recently found, however, depending on the lenses, I'd hang on to them, while they are most likely M (maybe A) lenses; they can be very useful, many times the older MF lenses are sharper than even Canons 'L' series-multi-thousand-dollar lenses. The bodies, unless you plan to shoot film (I personally love film, however it is very expensive these days) I'd Ebay or even list on the fourms here; as for DSLR cameras, it really all depends on just what functions and features you want. Another thing to think of is how much are you looking/willing to spend? While Pentax isn't nearly as expensive as its competitors (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica, etc,) you can still rack up a hefty bill very quickly while doing it... (Another thing, are the lenses you found M42 mount or are they Pentax K mount)
05-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
Okay, i photographed the cameras and one lens already. Pentacon Auto 2.8/29 Multicoating? More coming in!

Some time later today i will be making more pictures of my lenses! I got 5 more to go!
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are some reviews for your Pentacon lens. Looks like you have a B+W UV filter attached as well. Nice!
05-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll learn a lot about photography using the old manual lenses, that's for sure.
Definitely look at the used market here on the forum. I think that's where you'll find a good bargain for a well-cared-for camera. People upgrade so you can get an older model for a low price. The older models K-10, K-20, K-7 (and the K-5 if you want to spend the money) will do very well with the older lenses because you have two control wheels for adjustments.
05-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
I have been looking around on some second-hand websites that are common here in The Netherlands, and i saw a Pentax K100D and a K-x for sale. Which one of these two do you guys recommend most? More pictures coming soon of my lenses by the way!
05-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i saw a Pentax K100D and a K-x
Definitely the k-x
05-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been looking around on some second-hand websites that are common here in The Netherlands, and i saw a Pentax K100D and a K-x for sale. Which one of these two do you guys recommend most? More pictures coming soon of my lenses by the way!
Personally, I'd skip out on both of these (while they are good cameras) I'd look for like a K-10 or something a bit newer, especially if you're wanting to make prints of your photos. The 10.2 Megapixel CCD sensor of the K-10 should be fine for most enlargements. You can typically pick one of these up for less than $300 used. And they are great cameras, I just upgraded from one, and it works very well with the old MF lenses, however its low-light performance is hindered, and if you plan to use it in low light that isn't the camera for you. If you're willing to spend a few hundred dollars more, you can get a brand new K-5 for about $750 on the U.S. market. This features a 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor, which is the same as the K-5II and the K-5IIs. I use the K-5 and it is phenomenal. Another thing to keep in mind is that many Pentax SLRs and DSLRs use the KAF or KAF2 mount, so your Pentacon lenses will not work without an adapter (similar to an M42 screw mount it looks like; I believe you can find the Pentacon to KAF adapter somewhere).
Moreover, if you were to get a DSLR like the K-5 it should last you a lot longer than a K-x, a K-100 or even a K-10 (as the K-5 is newer, and can be purchased new with warranty).