Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Focusing trouble with pentax DA 60-250

Hello,

I have a Pentax DA- 60-250mm and a K-01 camera. I purchased a Raynox DCR-250 macro snap on lens and placed it on the end of the pentax lens. It wouldn't focus right so i took it off. Now the pentax lens won't focus right. 'MF' keeps flashing on the LCD although i have both the camera and lens set to 'AF'. I try and focus on an object and it won't hold - it keeps trying to re-focus and flash 'MF'. I also can't access any menus on the camera when the lens is attached -the menu appears for a split second then the camera returns to live view. any ideas what could be the problem?

05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xenocide72 Quote
Hello,

I have a Pentax DA- 60-250mm and a K-01 camera. I purchased a Raynox DCR-250 macro snap on lens and placed it on the end of the pentax lens. It wouldn't focus right so i took it off. Now the pentax lens won't focus right. 'MF' keeps flashing on the LCD although i have both the camera and lens set to 'AF'. I try and focus on an object and it won't hold - it keeps trying to re-focus and flash 'MF'. I also can't access any menus on the camera when the lens is attached -the menu appears for a split second then the camera returns to live view. any ideas what could be the problem?
Have you tried the camera with a different Pentax lens - i.e. can you replicate the problem with a different lens?
Failing which, a reset to factory settings may be needed.
Regards,
Mark
05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sometimes the AF/MF switch on the camera body can get stuck in the middle and cause weird stuff. I know you said it was on AF, but maybe give it another look.

You could also clean the contacts on the lens using a pencil eraser, rubbing lightly.

I doubt the Raynox has anything to do with the problem.
05-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you tried the camera with a different Pentax lens - i.e. can you replicate the problem with a different lens?
Failing which, a reset to factory settings may be needed.
Regards,
Mark
yes I have tried the camera with my sigma 17-50 lens and it works fine

05-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Sometimes the AF/MF switch on the camera body can get stuck in the middle and cause weird stuff. I know you said it was on AF, but maybe give it another look.

You could also clean the contacts on the lens using a pencil eraser, rubbing lightly.

I doubt the Raynox has anything to do with the problem.
no the switch is definitely on AF on both lens and camera. I'll try the eraser on the contacts though
05-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
no the switch is definitely on AF on both lens and camera. I'll try the eraser on the contacts though
just tried the eraser thing on the contacts with no success
05-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Try the lens on another Pentax K-mount camera. If it works properly its not the lens.

If it still does not work on the first camera, try cleaning the contacts again. If all else fails send the lens in for repair.

Regards

Chris
05-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can't see how a snap on macro lens could have any bearing on the AF system. My guess is that this piece of information is spurious. Do we know that the lens/camera combination was working correctly immediately before the raynox lens was attached?

You need to whittle down the variables, as others have suggested.

Good luck

05-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I can't see how a snap on macro lens could have any bearing on the AF system. My guess is that this piece of information is spurious. Do we know that the lens/camera combination was working correctly immediately before the raynox lens was attached?

You need to whittle down the variables, as others have suggested.

Good luck
yeah thats the weird part. it was working the day before. no problems until i attached the snap on. could be coincidence i guess. it looks like 'm going to have to send it in for repair
05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well just got the lens fixed. It wasn't that the contacts were dirty it was that one was actually missing! Guess I'm being a little too rough with my lens changes
05-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Well just got the lens fixed. It wasn't that the contacts were dirty it was that one was actually missing! Guess I'm being a little too rough with my lens changes
Good to hear you got it sorted!