Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #1

New O-RC1 remote not working

Hi fellers,

Two questions:

1: I just bought an O-RC1 remote for my K-30. I put the camera in remote mode (confirmed by red light flashing on the front of the camera body), and I push the red button on the remote while pointing at the front of the camera, and nothing happens, no matter what I do. Autofocus doesn't work either. I point the remote to my phone camera to see if it can 'see' the IR blast and get nothing either. I assume this is a dud, but in case I'm being brain dead, is there something I may have overlooked?

2: I realized during this experiment that there is no back IR sensor on the K-30, which means I have to be line-of-site. My plan is to put up a bird feeder, set the camera up on a tripod outside, and (where I work all day from home), keep an eye out for opportunities and snap away from inside the house. Obviously this remote is useless for this application. I would need the ability to wake up the camera when I'm ready to fire too. Is there another option that does all this wirelessly, or is a long cable my only other choice (if that even is an option)?

Thanks!

05-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your O-RC1 really isn't working and you suffer from the mid-range front-only receiver you can try TriggerTrap, which works with a K-30. If you want you can connect your camera to your Android phone or iPhone and use the free App to control 11 release functions. The only thing you'll need is the dongle and perhaps an additional cable for distance - less than $50. Otherwise the IR device is BigBucks
05-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If your O-RC1 really isn't working and you suffer from the mid-range front-only receiver you can try TriggerTrap, which works with a K-30. If you want you can connect your camera to your Android phone or iPhone and use the free App to control 11 release functions. The only thing you'll need is the dongle and perhaps an additional cable for distance - less than $50. Otherwise the IR device is BigBucks
Wow, this looks really cool. I'm a geek so will love this. Going to order one! Thanks a bunch!
05-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mvsjes2 Quote
Wow, this looks really cool. I'm a geek so will love this. Going to order one! Thanks a bunch!
We're so easy to please.

Actually this is a pretty handy little device for complex tripod shooting when you want to minimize vibration but it will work for your application. I bought some regular Remotes in the Marketplace and the Seller threw in his Trigger Trap, "Just because you have a K10 and I sold mine." Works well.

05-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just got one of these Cactus Wireless Shutter Release for Canon EOS / Pentax / Samsung - Gadget Infinity and although my gut tells me it won't last very long, it's so much more versatile than an IR remote! I've only tried it a couple of times but so far it works great.
05-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The only Pentax provided facility for remote release on the K-x and K-r cameras is the front mounted IR. I quickly discovered the two big limitations: you can't easily use the remote from behind the camera to minimize vibration, and the range of the IR remote shrinks rapidly in sunlight. That is why I came up with this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html It should also work well with Pentax P&S cameras that also lack a wired remote.

The K-30 has both IR and wired release ports. I can think of only one circumstance where you still might want to use my remanufactured IR release - damp weather. If you use a wired remote release with the K-30, you are opening one of the WR seals. You would avoid this using an IR release.

Not to hijack this thread, but the Triggertrap might save me some work constructing an Arduino based lightning / fireworks trigger. Does anyone know if the Android version can detect lightning or fireworks and react fast enough to trigger my K-30?